DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu >

DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu

Notices

DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I think Paul Whittier may beg to differ....
And Bob's son John too...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I think Paul Whittier may beg to differ....
Don't forget John Teague, and Johnny T.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Driver error?? A boat of that caliber should be engineered to handle driver error at 55mph. Obviously anything can happen, but there was no erratic driving reported so again, no reason to flip.
I don't normally get in the middle of these pissing matches.... Offshore, I don't know you personally so I am not taking a personal shot at you but this has to be one of the most uneducated statements I have ever read. By your comment above any average Joe with no experience should be able to jump behind the wheel of a 160mph cat and the boat should be "engineered to handle driver error at 55mph" Seriously? Cats rigged with twin 1350's are not beginner boats and I am sure require an experienced driver. So to expect a boat to be engineered to compensate for driver error is ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yup, boats can roll under a bunch of circumstances or spin out, though a 38 topgun at 40mph on flat water is REALLY hard to believe. But I think offshorexcursion is getting at the fact that it seems tough to believe that a leisurely cruise at 50-55mph over another likely "fast boat" wake, is going to cause a DCB to flip. The news story doesn't say anything about a dogleg turn, drives tucked, 75+mph... Aka all the details that would make it believable. I bet there are a handful of stories of 80mph flips in the last year or 2, add a little downward angle coming down off a wake and a surprised driver who turns quick when the boat is off balance and drives are tucked, and a flip sounds real feasible. I think until the last couple of posts, the facts didn't seem all there. My $.02
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Doing the wrong "thing" under the right circumstance can result in a hook and roll in a catamaran. How? Catamarans turn by loading the rail on the inside sponson. If a catamaran is say turning right, the right rail is loaded. Let's pretend the cat is following another boat that slows down and heads out to the left(crossing the port wake of boat ahead). This can result in water unloading the rail which could result in a hook. Much more likely if negative trim is the given setting and or
thrust is not applied.

Last edited by SkiDoc; 11-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
How did this thread die so quick? Especially with no answers, pics etc. Am I logged into OSO or some other site?

First I am very glad to here everyone is ok, especially after the events of key west. If I was one of the people in the Orange DCB I would be REALLY thankful I was alive right now.

But why is this rollover such a secret? No pictures, no answers, etc. Any other boat accident and OSO blows up (especially when there are no deaths). Crazy speculation starts flying, pics pop up, rumors spread, etc. I am not saying that is what I want but I would expect a little more than what is being posted!

Honestly theres probably no answer that will make me gain the respect I lost for the DCB 35, unless the news reports change. Without alcohol, collision, excessive speed, there is no reason a boat like that should crash at such a low speed on mild water. Especially such a well respected, half million dollar boat, thats rigged with the best and strongest parts etc.

I would be furious if I owned a boat like that and flipped it. Chit I would be pissed if I owned a bayliner and it flipped pulling the kids on the tubes at 17mph!

So do bugatti veryons, corvette ZR1's, and viper ACR's spin out when only driving at 55 and hitting a freeway expansion joint?

Seriously??? WTF?
There's no big conspiracy. It was actually witnessed by several other boaters (not members here) and pretty well documented. I think SkiDoc pretty much summed up exactly what happened. The speeds weren't that high. And there's no flaw with DCB's design, it can (and has) happened to the best of them..."Honeyman" Skater ring a bell? From a witness that watched that 36 Skater roll at 40-45 mph "he was cut off when they were crusing at 40-45, he came off the wake at a wierd angle, hooked it and rolled" I think this phenomenon (if you will) is pretty common and covered in Tres and Brad's class.

Mike and Matt are very seasoned and safe boaters (also own the 51 OL "Mamba")...But sh!t still happens....Just glad everyone is ok. Boat will be fine too. And regarding pics...there's a few floating around the internet of the sponsons sticking out of the water...But you've seen one upside down, you've seen them all.

Last edited by thisistank; 11-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM
GB
Registered

Originally Posted by tbanzer
I watched a 38 cigarette barrel roll ejecting all 6 people at about 40 mph making a turn on a flat lake. it happens
Makes you wonder how the insurance co. dealt with that claim?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I don't normally get in the middle of these pissing matches.... Offshore, I don't know you personally so I am not taking a personal shot at you but this has to be one of the most uneducated statements I have ever read. By your comment above any average Joe with no experience should be able to jump behind the wheel of a 160mph cat and the boat should be "engineered to handle driver error at 55mph" Seriously? Cats rigged with twin 1350's are not beginner boats and I am sure require an experienced driver. So to expect a boat to be engineered to compensate for driver error is ridiculous.
Thanks for clearing up that its not a personal attack I think you misunderstood what I meant though. Please show me where I said a average joe could drive that boat at 160?

I am taking for granted that the driver of the DCB has experience and maybe even taken the Tres course. From viewing the you tube videos, even though that driver might have not been driving all the time, you think he would know a little more about driving than the average joe. There are clips of that boat crossing wakes at 130++++mph!

With that being said, IMO the boat still should be able to handle almost anything at 55mph. Now the stories starting to change on here from the original info given.....

BTW I grew up in Wyandotte!

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I just wish people would read and reply to my entire comment not just one little part of it, twisting it around and taking it out of context.

Actually my point has been made.

Since my "extreme comment" people are finally starting to explain what happened. Multiple people asked before me, just not in such a controversial way. Still no pictures on here though.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GB
Makes you wonder how the insurance co. dealt with that claim?
Thankfully no one was seriously hurt and no one was wearing life vests. Fortunatly they were near shore when it went over and sunk. The insurance co paid for the recovery and the repairs then dropped coverage. I would have never believed a boat of this size and caliber would have went over that easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.