DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu >

DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu

Notices

DCB M35s,Orange, 1350s/M8s Flips Over on Havasu

Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Thankfully no one was seriously hurt and no one was wearing life vests. Fortunatly they were near shore when it went over and sunk. The insurance co paid for the recovery and the repairs then dropped coverage. I would have never believed a boat of this size and caliber would have went over that easy.
Where do you guys get your information. All 4 of the occupants had their life vests on when this happened. If not there could have been a different outcome. The 4 of them were picked out of the water by another boat that was there.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skidoc, when you talked about loading the rt rail in a rt turn I would understand that to being like body roll in a car going around a corner is this correct? I have only ridden in a couple of cats both inexperienced drivers & when turning the boats seemed to want to lean to the outside sponson, & I don't know where the drives were set but it was a scary feeling all the same. If a wake would have been thrown in the mix I am sure something bad would have happened. 1 more thing if the drives were all the way down would'nt that try to push the bow down making things worse?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Randy,
Some of the well designed cats lean to the inside at all speeds. Mine will below 35 and over 65. Yes, it is uncomfortable, I try to avoid having to turn in this range although it can be done. I've never been in the 35, but have heard directly from the best that it was their favorite "lake" cat of all time. Drives in, in a turn are bad in a step v and a cat. It's easy to get distracted and make an error, especially when you think your just slowly cruising.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chattviper
the speed was much faster than 55...more like 70-75. Drives were all the way in, dog leg turn that came up quickly on driver.
Sounds like it bowed steered trimmed in too far over a wake. If youve never experienced bow steer in a cat its very different. Cats lean out at these speeds. It may have simply bow steered leaning out as it turned and stuffed the front of the outside sponson as it went over the wake. Your first reaction when it starts is to get off the power which just makes it worse.

You know, most car accidents happen in parking lots
Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor
You know, most car accidents happen in parking lots
If you are going to compare this to cars, then......

How many cars have you seen flipped in a parking lot? I bet none unless they were doing something too fast and stupid.

Everyone has their own "strategy" on how this all happened, and it sounds like NOBODY knows for sure...

...I heard they were going 220mph...
Old 11-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Where do you guys get your information. All 4 of the occupants had their life vests on when this happened. If not there could have been a different outcome. The 4 of them were picked out of the water by another boat that was there.
I Think we may be talking about two different incidents.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbanzer
I Think we may be talking about two different incidents.
If you are talking about the Orange M35 at Monster Bash we are talking about the same boat. The occupants were all wearing life jackets.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Randy,
Some of the well designed cats lean to the inside at all speeds. Mine will below 35 and over 65. Yes, it is uncomfortable, I try to avoid having to turn in this range although it can be done. I've never been in the 35, but have heard directly from the best that it was their favorite "lake" cat of all time. Drives in, in a turn are bad in a step v and a cat. It's easy to get distracted and make an error, especially when you think your just slowly cruising.
You say that some cats lean to the inside? like a v hull? If that is so then I won't be buying an eliminator anytime soon. After DS I went cruising the dealers to see what was out there & really liked the new Nordic 28SS.did'nt go for a ride cause of the wind conditions but wanted to, I kind of got the bug again & thought about selling off my fleet but a couple of things kept nagging at me. Back a few years ago when they used to show offshore racing on tv it seemed like a boat would blow over or a couple would spin out kind of often & having spun my 34 out once it scared the sh!t out of me, fortunately the stain came clean & no damage.However I still thought about it enough to contact my insurance agent that conversation was disheartning but educational I would definately take a driving class first. All said right now the cost does not justify the urge, I would like to ride in a fast cat with an experienced driver some time so I'll put that on my bucket list. Sorry about the book I should have titled it huh?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

damn this sucks!

i just saw this post. this was a sick boat. glad everybodys ok.

was the driver of the boat a rookie?

ive only had my lil 25 out 3 times and its a very different experience than the v hulls i have owned. i can definatley see how bad things can and do happen...even at a low speed. and 75 mph is plenty fast enough for things to go wrong. IMO the very idea that 75 mph is "slow" and "safe" is a major cause of such accidents. water is not safe thats for damn sure.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Important thing is everyone made it out safe,everything else can be fixed.