Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone Dredge Their Dock Area (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265339-anyone-dredge-their-dock-area.html)

Mackattack 11-07-2011 12:33 PM

I heard of a go devil being used to dredge out a slip up to 8' deep. All they do is send it downstream!

SkiDoc 11-07-2011 12:43 PM

Anyone know of a dredge/trash pump for sale. Maybe I could use it then flip it. Or one for rent/lease. I have talked to the appropriate locals about permits. Not too tough in Kentucky. It will be nice
to not have the weeds and muck.

Dean Ferry 11-07-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SkiDoc (Post 3544313)
Anyone know of a dredge/trash pump for sale. Maybe I could use it then flip it. Or one for rent/lease. I have talked to the appropriate locals about permits. Not too tough in Kentucky. It will be nice

Most of the local rental centers here in Fl have them for rent, sorry I know that won't help you up there in Ky. Have you checked the local rental co's?

RunninHotRacing163.1 11-07-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SkiDoc (Post 3544313)

the pumps we pick up at Heavy equipt auctions, and the spud barges are in the truck & heavy equipt trader mag ....

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drink:

Jassman 11-07-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 3544308)
I heard of a go devil being used to dredge out a slip up to 8' deep. All they do is send it downstream!

I have seen this work in an area that sand from a sandy creek over the years closed up an inlet and people could not get through unless on a hi tide..worked great moved about 4' 50' wide...

jswfl09 11-11-2011 11:19 AM

I just had the FL DEP out the other day to see if I could extend the dock out since it is shallow in the front and am having problems with the lift hitting the sand at low tide (dock is on Estero Bay, Florida's first aquatic preserve). Of course the answer was no, go figure. She did suggest applying for a maintenance dredging permit. When I asked if anyone had successfully gotten one in the area for a private dock she said she didn't think so. So I am thinking some outboard might pull in one day and "get stuck" and have to spin it's prop for awhile to get out.

scarab63 11-11-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3544087)
There are environmental issues to consider, believe it or not the dredgings are considered hazerdous waste and have to be handled in a certain way. I would do some homework into regulations in your area before digging in, this kinda stuff can get ya in trouble if your not careful.

Used to run a d6 at a landfill and cashman the g.c. of the big dig in boston bought the dump just for dredge disposal. Stinky stuff

Dean Ferry 11-11-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jswfl09 (Post 3547514)
I just had the FL DEP out the other day to see if I could extend the dock out since it is shallow in the front and am having problems with the lift hitting the sand at low tide (dock is on Estero Bay, Florida's first aquatic preserve). Of course the answer was no, go figure. She did suggest applying for a maintenance dredging permit. When I asked if anyone had successfully gotten one in the area for a private dock she said she didn't think so. So I am thinking some outboard might pull in one day and "get stuck" and have to spin it's prop for awhile to get out.

Yeah, we live on a USFWS Manatee refuge, so I just do these things, AFTER I have talked with my neighbors and everybody is cool with it.... I just push the dredged bottom up against our seawalls/under our dock's deck, can't push your dirt under the neighbor's dock, that would invite trouble....

TexomaPowerboater 11-11-2011 03:40 PM

We have to dredge our private boathouse all the time. Last time it cost around $1500 to dredge and another $2500 to move the sand. This was a small 8 stall boathouse. They usually use a trackhoe, then haul it off with dumptrucks......the sand can probably be resold. You could probably get someone ....maybe even the city water department to haul it off for free.

wananewboat 11-11-2011 03:55 PM

I talked to a guy that sets up two bubblers for ice to a frame and runs them under water on a timer at night. In the morning all of the cloudy water is gone. He said it worked great.