Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Coast Guard Documentation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26534-coast-guard-documentation.html)

HavasuCat 06-13-2002 06:37 PM

Coast Guard Documentation

I am in the process of having my new boat documented, and am waiting on the numbers from the Coast Guard. This last weekend I was kicked off the water in Havasu because I don't yet have the numbers, even though I showed them all the paperwork for the boat. They told me that until I get the number I can't operate the boat on the lake, and the Coast Guard does not issue temporary operating permits.

Now I have a question about State registration since I don't feel like being harrased by the water cops anymore.

Does anybody know if you have to have State registration in California or Arizona along with the CG documentation, or will the CG number suffice?

The LT. I talked to at Havasu seemed to think that I would be ok once I get the CG number, but I don't know if he knows what he is talking about (he also told me that I had to display the CG number on the exterior of the boat which is not correct).

Iggy 06-13-2002 07:12 PM

I was reading that there are some states that sill require you to register the vessel even with USCG documentation.
I found a site once that listed those states but can't seem to find it now. I know it's out there someplace.

Dock Holiday 06-13-2002 07:23 PM

I think documenting is the way to go. Here in North Carolina you do not have to do both. If you did I would not spend the money to document.

Just got bad news today, my new 36 that I was to take deliver of this Saturday, I will not get until next week because the dealer and bank delayed in processing the document papers. Oh well, at least the boat is here and it looks great.

You need to check your local laws. I know for a fact that a couple of friends have been stopped on our local lake and were NOT kicked off. The purchase papers bought them some time with no problems. Sorry to here about your encounter. Check the laws, maybe the cops were wrong.

Good luck.

Lickitysplit 06-13-2002 07:23 PM

While I was waiting for my documentation paperwork to be processed by the Coast Guard, the Company that I was using to process the Documentation provided a "Running Letter". This letter stated:

"This letter confirms that this office is in the process of applying for ducumentation of the above referenced yacht for its new owner: Me,

Attached herewith are copies of the bill of sale and other pertinent folios relating to the transfer of ownership.

This letter is not intended to be a substitute for the Certificate of Documentation but may be considered as evidence that an application is in process."

I was never stopped but they assured me that the "Running Letter" has been successful in the past.

I'm in Florida and don't know whether Arizona or California require state registration but I hope this helps.

Mike

LakeRacer 06-13-2002 07:44 PM

What did you do???

I can't believe that they kicked you off of the lake. I have been going there all the time with my 34 and they never have stopped me. Only once was I approached and they just asked me if it was documented and I said yes. They then went on to other things.

Do you have your name on the boat with hailing port. If you do this now maybe they won't hassle you figuring it is already documented?

As to your question, Arizona will not allow dual registration. If it's CG documented, you can't register with AZ.

Iggy 06-13-2002 07:51 PM

From the California DMV web site:

As a rule, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor driven boat not registered by the U. S. Coast Guard that are using the waters or on the waters of the state are subject to registration.

You are required to register your undocumented vessel and pay applicable fees before it is placed in California waters. Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.
Tried to check with the Arizona DMV office and wound up at the Fish and Game Commission, they handle boat registrations. There was no mention of documenting vs registration. I guess you'll have to call them.

LakeRacer 06-13-2002 09:17 PM

My Vessel

is documented and I went through this three years ago. If the boat is documented you cannot register it with the AZ Game & Fish.

Vyper340 06-14-2002 07:38 AM

The CG told me that you have a "grace period" of 30-45 days to get the paperwork completed and during that time all you need is the Bill of Sale on the boat to prove that you own it. Unless the CG kicked you off the police cannot do anything. I would appeal to the highest authority in AZ or the local police based on one fact. All the state registration does is prove that you are the owner which is what the Bill of Sale and an ID do. The added item is revenue for the state which the police should not be as concerned about.

While I waiting for my documentation I drove the boat and was asked one time by local police if I was demo'ing the boat. I told him the documentation was in process (I had a CG letter on board) and he asked if I had the Bill of Sale. I told him now so he said to make sure I had it in the future until the documents come in.

Just my .02

HavasuCat 06-14-2002 01:21 PM

Thanks for the replies...If Lakeracer is right I should be ok. When I was stopped I had all the sales paperwork, along with the "travel" letter from the documentation service. The letter states the same thing that Lickitysplit's letter states.

I think they had a hard on for me because we were in a Cigarette. I saw these same two cops at the gas station when the boat was on the trailer a couple hours before they stopped me. It was kind of wierd, but they were eye f@#$%ing my buddy and I. I even made a comment to my buddy at the time about the way they were looking at us. As soon as they saw us on the water their eye's lit up. If I was a family in a Bayliner I don't think I would have been stopped.

Next time I go out hopefully I will have my number and I can tell them to stick it up their ass. When the LT. I spoke to told me that I needed numbers on the outside of the hull, and I told him he was wrong, he told me to be expected to be stopped. I told him that once I have my number in the boat, and I get checked, there should be no reason for further stops related to registration. I told him I would file a harrasment complaint if it continued. Hopefully I wont have to deal with this.

GregP 06-14-2002 03:33 PM

When I bought my boat we registered it with the state while waiting for the documentation (can do that on the spot at the DNR office). You have to pay the sales tax anyway (at least in MD). Once the doc came in just took off the state number, left the state "tag" showing I'd paid my taxes etc. Renewals are $10 for 2 years to get a new state "tag", which is still req'd with the documentation.

-Greg