Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Arnesons vs. #6? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265362-arnesons-vs-6-a.html)

KNOT-RIGHT 11-08-2011 06:52 PM

Shaft drives are much more efficient.
Arneson
Bpm
Trimax.

Strong simple and reliable.

Steve 1 11-08-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT (Post 3545416)
Shaft drives are much more efficient.
Arneson
Bpm
Trimax.

Strong simple and reliable.

And Lighter.

baywatch 11-08-2011 07:10 PM

I don't have 6's but I'd love to switch over to the asd's. One less thing to worry about.

Jassman 11-08-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 3545436)
I don't have 6's but I'd love to switch over to the asd's. One less thing to worry about.

the 38 asd Hustler I drove back to back bravo boat was great. It actually docked better, steered about the same..but took about 2 seconds longer to plane up..once it hooked up it took off..you felt comfortable pushing the throttles foward, faster as it accelerated quicker..the fear factor of blowing up was removed..just my .02..

hallj 11-08-2011 07:54 PM

No bevel gears in an Arneson, that's a good thing!

Jeff

Racerngr1 11-08-2011 09:07 PM

Has anybody done a side by side comparison between ASD's vs. XR or #6, same boat same power etc... It would be interesting to get real world numbers on speed, acceleration time and so on.

i.e. 42 Fountain with twin 700's. 1 with NXT vs. ASD 8 top speed comparrison?

JasonSmith 11-08-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Racerngr1 (Post 3545581)
Has anybody done a side by side comparison between ASD's vs. XR or #6, same boat same power etc... It would be interesting to get real world numbers on speed, acceleration time and so on.

You won't find a 42' Fountain with NXT drives. You'll fing them with NXT transom assemblies & #6 drives, but not NXT drives.
The test infor is out there. Powerboat has tested the 42 with ASD 7's or 8's with Ilmor power and they've tested the 42 with everything from 4.3 V6's (not really) to 1075+hp on #6's. Someone just needs to do the legwork to get the info pushed out.

A.O. Razor 11-08-2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Racerngr1 (Post 3545581)

The XR is not even in this league. There is no doubt that the ASD and #6 are much more efficient and stronger than any tyoe of XR. That being a stcok XR or one of the aftermarket drives from IMCO, Bmax, Konrad ect. This has been proven more than once. Many Bravo conversions with the XR to ASD#7M see speed increase up to 10+ mph. In cases with drives that are heavier to spin and has more drag, it's even more. On some applications with fx cat's the speed increase would be even bigger. These are not only top end numbers, the cruise speed efficiensy goes way up as well.

Back on topic.

Pro1 11-09-2011 08:19 AM

I have a 32 Skater with Arnesons. Boat runs extremely well. Boat has 580 ci normally aspirated. Arnesons or number 6 are both nice.

The number 6 has a monel shaft. It rusts after 2 seasons and you get water in the oil in salt water. The Arneson is stainless prop shaft. You have splay weld a stainless collar or replace the number 6 prop shafts every few years. Salt water is harsh.

Marginmn 11-09-2011 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They look awesome!!!