Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over? >

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Notices

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

EXACTLY or stay at home on the recliner with the remote and a beer & leave the adrenaline rushs to the guys in the FAST boats who enjoy this sport & have balls the size of wheelbarrows
carry on
RHR swinging your dick around here on this thread is not likely to impress many of us so you might want to save that for your next trip to Hooters.

The primary difference with this sport vs top fuel or unlimited hydro's , both of which have made huge advances in driver protection, is the potential to take a recreational vehicle and go "racing". (We don't see any T/F or H1 hydros running around the lake on weekends.) Mandating proper capsules would undoubtedly save lives, but the sport is no where near the level of being able to do that yet. I hope builders and racers will use the tragedies to re-access the cost vs safety ratio. I also agree completely with the observation that passengers in boats capable of the speeds we are seeing now are at some serious risk. (The men that passed away were well aware of them). I pray that we don't have a repeat of these kinds of headlines in a recreational setting. My deepest sympathy to all the families and friends of the men lost this week.

Last edited by FlyenBrian; 11-14-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyenBrian
RHR swinging your dick around here on this thread is not likely to impress many of us so you might want to save that for your next trip to Hooters.

The primary difference with this sport vs top fuel or unlimited hydro's , both of which have made huge advances in driver protection, is the potential to take a recreational vehicle and go "racing". (We don't see any T/F or H1 hydros running around the lake on weekends.) Mandating proper capsules would undoubtedly save lives, but the sport is no where near the level of being able to do that yet. I hope builders and racers will use the tragedies to re-access the cost vs safety ratio. I also agree completely with the observation that passengers in boats capable of the speeds we are seeing now are at some serious risk. (The men that passed away were well aware of them). I pray that we don't have a repeat of these kinds of headlines in a recreational setting. My deepest sympathy to all the families and friends of the men lost this week.
This is very well stated...

+1
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered

A little food for thought. The technology certainly does exist to actively control a wing, and to predict its motion based on how fast the boat is changing directions. When the boat is running at the proper angle and suddenly begins to rise quickly the computer would quickly move the wing to compensate, and if the angle of the boat moves slowly towards critical the computer would move the wing more slowly to pull the boat back. These are the same PID control functions we use in our traction control routines. Now we had our Rolex GT car in the wind tunnel yesterday and we tested new rear wings and here is the kicker, the rear wing which is approx. 10 to 11 inches front to back and maybe 5ft wide remember I said approx. so don't beat me up, this wing made a total of 280 lbs of downforce which on a 12thousand lb boat would be pretty minimal when asked to completely change the direction of the boat. Now are there way bigger better wings yes but just thought the numbers were interesting. Also in F-1 the rear wing is now active, and instantly moves with the blink of an eye.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Registered

i think my idea is best why dont you have a hydrofoil kinda wit a flap that rides in the water or it can ride in the water and when the boat lifts to much it can extend deeper and flap up tocreate drag
Old 11-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've done some research

According to what I've been able to find, there is hardware in the marketplace right now that would allow the development of a electronically controlled "flap" that would mount in the tunnel and control lift through a series of sensors. The flap itself would be flush mounted in the tunnel and driven by a series of high-speed/high-strength servos and linkages.

The sensors would measure speed (forward motion) wind pressure (wind gusts) and bow angle. The perameters of the bow angle would be adjustable to allow discretion as to how close to the point of no return the operator wants to chance. It would also be monitored by an LED display mounted on the dash and all of the movements of the flap would be recorded for later review.

The idea is to provide a device that would automatically measure and adjust for bow lift. As the bow lifted, the flap would deploy only as much as needed to move the bow angle back into set perameters. Once the bow is settled into a reasonable position, everything would be safe and in control resulting in a potential blow-over that would be averted long before disaster. Simple.................
Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamjoe
According to what I've been able to find, there is hardware in the marketplace right now that would allow the development of a electronically controlled "flap" that would mount in the tunnel and control lift through a series of sensors. The flap itself would be flush mounted in the tunnel and driven by a series of high-speed/high-strength servos and linkages.

The sensors would measure speed (forward motion) wind pressure (wind gusts) and bow angle. The perameters of the bow angle would be adjustable to allow discretion as to how close to the point of no return the operator wants to chance. It would also be monitored by an LED display mounted on the dash and all of the movements of the flap would be recorded for later review.

The idea is to provide a device that would automatically measure and adjust for bow lift. As the bow lifted, the flap would deploy only as much as needed to move the bow angle back into set perameters. Once the bow is settled into a reasonable position, everything would be safe and in control resulting in a potential blow-over that would be averted long before disaster. Simple.................
The Copeland Phenomenon boat has this.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

This was on an Austrailian boat....does it work?
Attached Thumbnails Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?-blowover-wing-stall.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
The Copeland Phenomenon boat has this.
I thought that the Phenomenon had a wing between the sponsons. This would be on the underside of the tunnel. It would also have the ability to be retrofitted on to existing boats.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iamjoe
I thought that the Phenomenon had a wing between the sponsons. This would be on the underside of the tunnel. It would also have the ability to be retrofitted on to existing boats.
Ah ok I didn't read what you said right. Yes two different approaches to solving the same problem it would seem. We're all still waiting to see what Phenomenon is going to do. Last time I read anything about it was this past summer. There was an issue with props touching so I'll be interested to see how they solved it.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
This was on an Austrailian boat....does it work?
BINGO BINGO BINGO
This is what I was thinking of when I started this thread. Wonder how well it works?
I love the wing idea too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.