Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over? >

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Notices

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wstultz
I agree that the capsules would be a great step in saving lives and a computer controled stabilization wing would be good as well.....but.....Is there something that could be mounted on the transom or are we just inviting a stuff? For instance, a rapidlly deployable trim tab of some sorts that would react if the angle of attack went beyond a "safe" zone and then retract immediately. Kind of like a very quick brake of sorts. I realize if the transom has already lifted this device would be rendered useless but if it could react quick enough may prevent the excessive lift. I really don't know what I'm talking about and have very limited cat experience but, I've read the whole thread and am just trying to throw out another idea that may be cheaper and require less alteration to existing hardware.
IMHO, I'd say that theoretically, this would have merit. The issue would be that if the boat takes flight, the tabs would lose efectiveness as altitude increased. Also, there may be an issue with actually controlling the reaction of the boat.

With the device that I've been talking about the premise would be that the bow of the boat would react to the aero-dynamic drag caused by the "flap". Once the angle of the boat got back into line, the flap would adjust itself to allow for soft landing and minimal decrease in forward motion. In other words, it wouldn't just fly opena and stay there.

Last edited by iamjoe; 11-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
BS.....a capsule would do an amazing amount to help safety in this sport. Why not? What is a valid argument against it?
Racing environment, no doubt. Recreational environment, no way; just not adaptable
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
I have posted that video of Cat Can Do going over on You tube a few years ago do a search it is out there
I have it....still can't POST a video for some reason........it's been that way for some time.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iamjoe
Racing environment, no doubt. Recreational environment, no way; just not adaptable
Sorry.....was talking about racing.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Sorry.....was talking about racing.
I agree Nort. My point is that given the larger number of recreational boats/operators than race boats/racers it would be a worthwhile endevour to develop/perfect it in racing and then introduce it to the masses.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Are you referring to the blow over at the Fountain race? If so that boat was way overtrimmed. I was on the course and made the comment, he is way over trimmed and then over it went. We were the first boat to the wreck.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
Ever heard of crumple zones? Modern cars are designed to basically destroy themselves in an impact to absorb as much energy as possible, leaving the passenger compartment intact. Hardly could be considered "saving the hardware".

I do agree with your second statement though.
MTI HAS CRUMPLE ZONE 360 DEGREES AROUND
THE COCKPIT IT DESIGNED TO ENTER FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS HE SPENT THE MONEY And time TO ADVANCE SAFETY HE'LL HAVE TO SELL A LOT OF RACE BOATS TO MAKE THAT BACK
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iamjoe
I agree Nort. My point is that given the larger number of recreational boats/operators than race boats/racers it would be a worthwhile endevour to develop/perfect it in racing and then introduce it to the masses.

The recreational boater (like me) likes to watch racing when I can, but a capsule has no place in my boating fun. This racing effort like in Key West is not recreational in the least for the participants. This is as professional as offshore gets. I believe an advance in technology like the capsule idea would be great and advance the sport's safety. Perhaps even a HANS like device too? Would egos get in the way? Probably. It did in NASCAR for some time too.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Maybe, just maybe there is no fix.
EXACTLY or stay at home on the recliner with the remote and a beer & leave the adrenaline rushs to the guys in the FAST boats who enjoy this sport & have balls the size of wheelbarrows
carry on

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Comment:
As I stated previously the capsule works it is a static safety device that works all the time in most if not all situations.

The solution exists.... nothing is perfect but this is damn close in my book.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOsd9I5tEw[/YOUTUBE]

Any questions? As far as saving the boat are you serious...it's all about saving lives...who cares about the boat.

KAP

P.S. If our talking about it get's the wheels rolling....in the right direction it's a good thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.