Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over? >

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Notices

Can a cat boat be built with a blow out hinge flap to prevent a blow over?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

I think it might be a little to early and in bad taste here to be analysing this tragic accident and the tragic loss of life. To properly consider safety options for these boats its going to be important to know what their actual injuries and causes fo death were and that should not nor won't be public for a meanigingful while.
Lets cool it on discussion of this particular event and let the friends and family grieve and have their privacy both in the real world and here on the internet.

As to another last year event that is earily similar I point to the loss of the two racers in the Victory race boat crash of last year.
We now know from this crash and deaths that there are several items that contributed to the loss. One, apparently that race boat did not have a good strong internal roll cage under the canopy to prevent the crushing of the canopy under impact. Two, there was severe impact of the crew with structual debris thrust into them from the impact. I believe in this case their necks were broken and they suffered severe head trauma. Three, apparently like in many high speed racing crashes physics enter into the problem because when you suddenly stop a human body in a very short abrupt interval, the inertia transfers to the human body and the internal human organs tend to keep moving and damage themselves from impacts with other human body structure.
My take is that if this new big boat speed blow over, aerodynamic instability and high speed impact is to be lessened and the sport of high speed offshore boat racing is to continue in a safer fashion that a lot of careful engineering, testing and application will have to go into the hulls and this sport.
In the mean time those recreational boaters who are high speed jetting along with 4-6 people in their big 125mph-150mph cats with no helmets, lifeline jackets and belt systems better take note here and be a lot more careful about their piloting skills and locations or they can see in the horrible KW crash how quickly, uncontrolable and how damaging it can be!
Racers know the risks and they take those risks generally as part of racing but its the recreational side of this new big boat high speed boating that scares me about the future of this recreational sport!
What do you think?
Hope the experts in these fields can help foster new ideas and product to make this high speed boating more safe.
Until then lets hope and pray this does not occur again ever!

Thooughtful Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
EXACTLY or stay at home on the recliner with the remote and a beer & leave the adrenaline rushs to the guys in the FAST boats who enjoy this sport & have balls the size of wheelbarrows
carry on

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think there is a reasonable solution which us aimed at preserving the lives of those with the big balls so the rest of us lazy beer drinking, couch sitting slobs can marvel at their antics.....
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:
As I stated previously the capsule works it is a static safety device that works all the time in most if not all situations.

The solution exists.... nothing is perfect but this is damn close in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOsd9I5tEw

Any questions? As far as saving the boat are you serious...it's all about saving lives...who cares about the boat.

KAP

P.S. If our talking about it get's the wheels rolling....in the right direction it's a good thing.

Bingo! RHR can sit on his couch and ***** that things can't be improved, or others can take the lead and make improvements.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Bingo! RHR can sit on his couch and ***** that things can't be improved, or others can take the lead and make improvements.
dont own a coach BIG Daddy and one of the biggest risk takers you know planes,boats, race cars,dirt bikes as long as i go doing something i love doing
carry on

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

dont own a coach BIG Daddy and one of the biggest risk takers you know planes,boats, race cars,dirt bikes as long as i go doing something i love doing
carry on

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You own a couch I'm sure.....unless you are in a trailer now? That is nice you are a risk taker, and that is fine. Good for you. I thought this thread was about making safety improvements? This thread isn't about you and your hobbies, is it?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

You own a couch I'm sure.....unless you are in a trailer now? That is nice you are a risk taker, and that is fine. Good for you. I thought this thread was about making safety improvements? This thread isn't about you and your hobbies, is it?
don't worry about me worry about yourself

now back on topic
carry on
Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered

don't worry about me worry about yourself

now back on topic
carry on
Thanks but don't worry about me....just talking about how safety can be improved. I don't have balls like wheelbarrows.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

I have it....still can't POST a video for some reason........it's been that way for some time.
powerboat.wmv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeQloe8rJs

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 11-10-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: powerboat.wmv
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Maybe, just maybe there is no fix.
BS.....a capsule would do an amazing amount to help safety in this sport. Why not? What is a valid argument against it?
1. To be cost effective a one design capsule would be needed and it would probably require a redesign of every existing hull it mated onto.

2. There may not be enough owners or builders interested. A sanction body mandating a capsule may kill that class or type of hull.

3. Since there are few (thank God) of there accidents there may not be enough data to support the correct design or redesign.
ed
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OK then.......................

The idea is to attempt finding a reasonable solution that addresses the risks that are taken by the racers and recreational boaters. Capsules are a great solution for the racers but doesn't work for the recreational users.

While I agree that saving lives in the ultimate goal, there is no reason that if its possible, saving the hardware shouldn't be a secondary goal. I don't know what these guys pay for insurance on the big cats, but I'm sure the expense is tied directly to risk; not only the risk of life, but the risk of asset loss as well. No insurance company will insure someone without considering the possibility of writing a check for half-a-million bucks or more for a totaled boat even without serious injury.

If someone has a better idea that serves the racers and rec users alike, why not put it out there. This is after all how solutions are developed............................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.