Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Should Key West Races Continue? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265614-should-key-west-races-continue.html)

Jiggsy 11-12-2011 10:47 PM

Should Key West Races Continue?

Key West Marine Weather SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT TONIGHT NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS AND GUSTY. SEAS 6 TO 9 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. ISOLATED SHOWERS. SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS AND GUSTY. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. ISOLATED SHOWERS. MONDAY EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS EARLY...DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

As far as I am concerned if the race takes place tomorrow it is criminal. I hope sane heads prevail. We do not want to see any more tragedy. Safety first !!

Throttle Down Key West World Championships

14 apache 11-12-2011 11:01 PM

Thats what the sport is all about. Big water the speeds will be limited most of the tragedies happen at high speeds. All of the boats run to fast today. Have a drivers meeting see how they want to handel it.

F1-00 Racing 11-13-2011 01:16 AM

Jiggsy,

Are you a racer and/or have you ever raced? By no means is it a bad thing if you never have, however, the race is on and no one is holding a gun to any racers head to go out on Sunday and race. Yes, the racing community, families, and local communities have lost 3 too many this week. We as racers know the risks involved every time we strap in and go out. Should Bike Week in Daytona be cancelled because there was 14 deaths last year? Should NASCAR have canceled the next race in Rockingham following the death of Dale Earnhardt?

What did Joey himself do after the tragic loss of Bob and JT? He strapped in on Friday and gave it 110%.

It has been a roller coaster of emotions for everyone in the boating community. Should a racer get back in his boat and race today if his mind is not into it? Absolutely Not and they have that CHOICE Should we all say a prayer for those lost, their families, and for those going out to perform tomorrow? Most Definitely

OPA had their Worlds in Alabama and the conditions were 8 to 10's with an occasional 15 foot hole, we went out and gave it 110%. When you show up at each and every race site, we have to take 20 minutes each time and fill out entry forms, medical forms and waivers. WE KNOW THE RISKS!

And while this week has been tragic, what about those we lost before this week over the past 10 years of my career alone? Jack Carmody, Jack Stoerre(sp), Pat Reiter??? May they rest in peace and never be forgotten as well

Would it have been criminal to continue racing after those tragedies? We have and racing will be around for years to come. We know the risks and with heavy hearts the race will go on.

Some teams have withdrawn and I am sure you will see a few more this morning. Does that make them less manly? no I have been asked by several racers, friends, and family members what would I do. At one point last night, I would have pulled out, through thoughts yesterday, I would have raced, but I am at the point now that I would see where my mind was at race time. If I can give 110%, I would race, if not I would replace myself with someone that could or withdraw

To answer your statement: Is it Criminal that the race goes on? NO

Lets all say a prayer for the fallen, their families and friends, and now the racers that will go out there tomorrow and race.

Trent
www.tntoffshore.com

Wahoo ATV 11-13-2011 07:51 AM

With slower speeds this race should be safer. Let's hope so. Also remember these boats are designed for these conditions much more so than flat water 100 mph + corners.

With that said, be safe my friends and good luck to all.

akaboatman 11-13-2011 08:02 AM

God Bless. Have Fun. An remember to thank the safty boats an crew.

ironhead 11-13-2011 08:11 AM

THE THROTTLE CONTROLS THE SPEED AND THE BRAIN CONTROLS THE HAND AND THE BEATING IN THE BODY CONTROLS THE BRAIN yes i was a racer for 14 years yes ive had similar wrecks so i speek from experience 2 world champs and 1 national champ

proboat-wes 11-13-2011 08:22 AM

jiggsy comment is totally inappropiate.

Hustler40 11-13-2011 08:23 AM

I think it would be a dis-honor to the deceased to just cancel the event that they made the ultimate sacrifice attempting to win.

OldSchool 11-13-2011 08:24 AM

Ummmm, yes they should race if they care to.

Nice post Trent :)