Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Geico take out turbines? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265632-geico-take-out-turbines.html)

gary nichols 11-14-2011 08:45 AM

Great Post Marc. Our biggest cost of racing with the 750 class was engines and we budgeted 300 g for 8-10 races with Sterling. When we ran our blower motors it was 40g per race. With today's economy that is why so many boats are parked. Has a race promoter taken the time to tell you guys what it means to have you in their race village with such few boats. I personally applaud you for what you have done for the sport and our communty .You are a class act.

Downtown42 11-14-2011 08:54 AM

Miss GEICO

C L A S S

Keep on going and don't mind/ Ignore the jealous "Hater's"

Look at Nascar's Jeff Gordon in his winning years and fans throwing chit/hating him when he won.

Look now at JJ 5-time incredible, undefeatable champion of all time. A very clean racer. Most keyboard idiots and alot of fans cannot stand him.

It's sickening to read the forums. Maybe it's the cool thing to gang up on the successful. I for one like to walk and respect with the successful and professional.

Thank you for all you've done in Offshore.

STAND TALL. :drink:

audacity 11-14-2011 09:05 AM

Great post Geico Boyz.

In a sport where historically (USA) racers do whatever they want. Why would anyone expect one of the most successful offshore race teams in the sports history (Geico) to change their proven formula!?? I would think more people would be using them as a benchmark!!! I guess the old saying of; "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story" would apply here.

Peace

smokeybandit 11-14-2011 09:25 AM

Marc,

First, great post. I know some are jealous and think you guys don't deserve the respect you get. They are totally incorrect. You guys are a class act and are out looking for competition. As you said, when ther is no competition you dial it baclk so that you can race with the fleet.

I don't think most hate the turbines. I know for myself I would love to see you guys race against more teams. Sometimes, as in the turbine class, you just can't draw enough boats to the class. We saw the same thing back in the 80's in Superboat class.

Personally, I would lover to see some form of the old Open class come back with you guys leading the charge. With your teams knowledge, skill and competitive fire, you could really create a buzz and bring back the "race" to the highest class of offshore racing. I know that you would perform well regardless of how many boats are in your class, but fans of the sport would really enjoy seeing you race against 10, 15, even 20 boats in your own class.

audacity 11-14-2011 09:46 AM

It WAS an Open and or Unlimited Class until Geico started winning races! Unlimited SC piston engine boats had no problem with a turbine boat finishing behind them.

audacity 11-14-2011 09:52 AM

O and the TOP GUN trophy for winning the overall KW Worlds used to be like some holly grail before turbines started winning that too.

glassdave 11-14-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing (Post 3549209)
Were back from KW and wanted to post our condolences to our friends lost and injured this weekend and found this thread. Here's a couple things to consider.

The Miss Geico racing team has invested over $20 mm creating a platform that combines power speed and technology. We are on race number twenty one on the current set of engines. 21 full throttle races and testing..2 years. And they are still running strong.

If you take Key west out of the equation from Unlimited to Cat light they are all 1-2 boat classes. certainly not enough momentum to justify a $500,000-$750,000 investment. That said ..what happens when/if we did put another boat into a competitive class? Recent offshore history shows that when you have a a well supported team that tests and is very competitive their competitors call them cheaters gang up on them and leave to race another org.

The problem with offshore is systemic, lack of repect for fellow racers, racing organizations,rules and financial instability. Not one boat pushing for a better mousetrap.

When a racing org decides to truly build and back a new class we will consider it. Give the current state f the economy I wouldnt expect anything soon. Don't confuse the picture because a couple of extra boats came out for a specific class in KW. Watch what happens next season when they have to race outside the spotlight of the Worlds. No shows, flip floppers ,trailer queens and keyboard hero's. Hey..How come no one is *****ing to the boats that are no shows???

Whats wrong Whats right. I like to look at our team as what's right for offshore. We are running very advanced technonlogy with formula one live telemetry being downloaded to shore, reliable engines and a really cool sound. We are a proffessional team pushing the limits with safety and performance. Look, We've been around the offshore course a time or two and have to deal all the macho I'm a big bad boat racer/poker runner. I love the big water, listen to me roar crap. It's a load of BS by people that don't test don't use their brains and don't know what the fk they are truly doing on the race course or otherwise. There is a science to running/racing a boat fast. Have you ever noticed how smooth Miss G runs on a race course compared to other boats..do you think there is a reason for this?

Our crew is right there to help as soon as a competitor of any class needs help whether it be a flipped boat,parts ,expertise, set up, craning engines or advice. We are always there for our fellow racers. Yes, we are whats right for offshore. It's easy to bash the yellow boat because we test we practise we go out of our way to accomodate and take the high road when confronted by jealous racers, bullies (no pun intended), gossip, backstabbers and adversity.

We all love the sound of nasty big blocks but that will be a thing of the past very shortly. Have any of you heard the CMS or Gasse Merc 1350 boats? no.. because like it or not technology is moving forward and the boats will become quieter. We get three times as many people commenting on how much they love the sound than we do that don't and the kids love it.

Now that KW is over I'm going to release some information that we did as a test this year to see how competitive we would be in a lower HP class...We turned our motors down to aprox 1500 hp ...ALL SEASON. Any of you guys notice that we aren't running 180 + but 150's and 160 now? Huh.. Any of you notice how Cintron and CMS dusted Miss G in Wed race in KW? Or How Cintron rocked us for 9 laps in Clearwater and Michigan City. Maybe how WHM smoked us in Sarasota guess not. Are you really watching whats happening in offshore?

We had a great run with the Pistons on Wed but were pushed out of the big boat start by one boat. They even had a faster boat.. we told them we wanted to race..They opted for solo laps. Too bad because it was great racing action while it lasted for those that saw it...don't believe me..check the lap times are we really that different in speed? The answer is no. Those that are stirring this thread really don't follow offshore they are just looking for controversey and its easy to use someone who's trying to be better than the past.. the yellow boat.

Take out Turbines...No Way. We feel we are the future.

Why we didn't race on Sunday in KW.

3 of our our friends died and out of respect for the families of Miss GEICO stayed on the trailer. Many of our crew were upset and didn't feel they could perform at 100%. For our fans sorry if we let you down.

Regards

Miss GEICO

this post has been quoted about a half a dozen times already but ya know what . . . . it deserves being quoted again. Great reply Marc . . . . or Scotty. Not sure who uses the Miss G name but i know its from the whole team, very well said :cool:

MikeyFIN 11-14-2011 10:25 AM

Marc is right on the spot. Miss Geico is for everyone there to help and they Do!
Be it matters of safety, mechanical or whatever. Take a note what they do..all the telemetry they have was very familiar to me from Autoracing and someday it has to come into offshore racing in a big way as it has come into karting already globally a decade ago...
What stumps me ...in the Land of the Free that you have the same sickness we Finns are joked on, Jelousy. But we take it as a strength to upmanship our neighbours, rather than ***** and cripple each other. Rather make it into a competiton at every chance, yes we are crazy people, just like the Irish ;)

Regarding Gasoline run bigblocks.. they are soon dead and out of production especially the non turbocharged ones. Despite the Romp they make. The future is in the multifuel powerplants...including Turbines. They can be governed to any powerlevel basically so there will be racing when the fad catches on and it would be about time IMO.

I see no reason for Geico to change their course after the investments they have made and their track record. I see only others to follow up, ok so Geico has spent ca one mil per a race, sounds steep? Well at the top level it always is but smaller (turbine-allowed) classes would be fun too ?

Thenagain ain't Miss Geico scared of some stiff Russian Turbine competition in the future ;)

Marc give my best to everyone especially Ross.
Mikey

JBS 11-14-2011 11:51 AM

Not sure what to title this

As a spectator it was disappointing to not see miss Geico race-however considering all the tragedies and other carnage in key west I understand the call they made.
I (JBS) still get a lot of crap for not racing-but for me it's not a decision-I have no more $ to race and of course I'm jealous of Geicos situation-it's like sponsors are thrown at them while I'm getting screwed by most all of mine.
When JBS racing decided to go with the turbines it was because they were pitched as ultra reliable-however with turned up turbines and shady turbine support it became less reliable and insanely expensive.no problem if you have the $.we've slowly figured things out as well and know how to keep the costs down and reliability up.
I just don't see turned down turbines and pistons in the same class-only because as soon as the turbine win it's considered cheating and some crybaby wants them in a different class or leave the organization all together so they can stay on top somewhere else.
I'm not sure of my direction here but it's going to take all teams to come together and figure this out-unlimited class should be just that.
Speed restrictions seem to contradict racing-nobody liked it in NASCAR at first.having pods in an offshore boat may be not far in the future.
Anyway-Congrats to all the new world champions and my most sincere condolences to all the families,friends,and fans of all the unfortunate accidents in key west this year.

HabanaJoe 11-14-2011 12:36 PM

You guys mention pods, someone with a better memory help me out here - did not the Buzzi 4 engine cat (leased to Popeyes) at the 1989 World's in NJ, later in KW have a pod design - two seperate pods 1 driver, 1 throttle?

I thought Buzzi was very big on that and I don't think many liked it becuase it was like sitting in a tight capsule but if memory serves me this had been being done 20 years ago and then gave way to the bigger cockpit as people suggest race/poker run design?