Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Geico take out turbines? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265632-geico-take-out-turbines.html)

chewiekw 11-14-2011 01:33 PM

I posted this question on another thread, i think they did have some sort of pod that came away from the boat in the event of an accident.

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3549432)
You guys mention pods, someone with a better memory help me out here - did not the Buzzi 4 engine cat (leased to Popeyes) at the 1989 World's in NJ, later in KW have a pod design - two seperate pods 1 driver, 1 throttle?

I thought Buzzi was very big on that and I don't think many liked it becuase it was like sitting in a tight capsule but if memory serves me this had been being done 20 years ago and then gave way to the bigger cockpit as people suggest race/poker run design?

thirdchildhood 11-14-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor (Post 3548980)
There is nothing that compared to the sounds of the old piston powered Hydro's other then an old piston powered engine. It will always be the sound that I remember hearing every summer roaring in the Windsor and the Detroit Area. You knew when it was the Gold Cup races, now with the Turbines you need to read about it as they are very quite, other then when they are spoiling up. Reliability, weight and HP you can't beat a Turbine but I still love the sounds of a piston engine.

I agree 100%. My point is that large off-shore boats with turbine power are still a novelty and sound pretty awesome. Now if the turbines prove to be a big advantage and all the boats go turbine my opinion will be different.

tanner 11-14-2011 09:24 PM

Marc had a great post ... but in my opinion Miss Geico might not care if they have anyone to race in their class. They have a great big flashy boat that "everyone " is around in the pits, kids cant stop looking, and adults cant stop talking about it !! Geico and their team has spent alot of money to build a great racing team even if they have nobody to compete against. My 8 year old son has Geico posters and signed autographs from the Geico team and he has no idea what they do or who is in 1st , 2 nd or 3rd !! All he knows is Miss Geico is running fast and cool... and thats really all Geico wants is a great return on their advertising investment in another form o motorsports... and I hope its working cause they are a specticule to see and the turbines are awesome to hear... no matter who is or isnt there to race them !!

baywatch 11-14-2011 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing (Post 3549209)
Were back from KW and wanted to post our condolences to our friends lost and injured this weekend and found this thread. Here's a couple things to consider.

The Miss Geico racing team has invested over $20 mm creating a platform that combines power speed and technology. We are on race number twenty one on the current set of engines. 21 full throttle races and testing..2 years. And they are still running strong.

If you take Key west out of the equation from Unlimited to Cat light they are all 1-2 boat classes. certainly not enough momentum to justify a $500,000-$750,000 investment. That said ..what happens when/if we did put another boat into a competitive class? Recent offshore history shows that when you have a a well supported team that tests and is very competitive their competitors call them cheaters gang up on them and leave to race another org.

The problem with offshore is systemic, lack of repect for fellow racers, racing organizations,rules and financial instability. Not one boat pushing for a better mousetrap.

When a racing org decides to truly build and back a new class we will consider it. Give the current state f the economy I wouldnt expect anything soon. Don't confuse the picture because a couple of extra boats came out for a specific class in KW. Watch what happens next season when they have to race outside the spotlight of the Worlds. No shows, flip floppers ,trailer queens and keyboard hero's. Hey..How come no one is *****ing to the boats that are no shows???

Whats wrong Whats right. I like to look at our team as what's right for offshore. We are running very advanced technonlogy with formula one live telemetry being downloaded to shore, reliable engines and a really cool sound. We are a proffessional team pushing the limits with safety and performance. Look, We've been around the offshore course a time or two and have to deal with all the macho I'm a big bad boat racer/poker runner,I love the big water, listen to me roar crap. It's a load of BS by people that don't test don't use their brains and don't know what the fk they are truly doing on the race course or otherwise. There is a science to running/racing a boat fast. Have you ever noticed how smooth Miss G runs on a race course compared to other boats..do you think there is a reason for this?

Our crew is right there to help as soon as a competitor of any class needs help whether it be a flipped boat,parts ,expertise, set up, craning engines or advice. We are always there for our fellow racers. Yes, we are whats right for offshore. It's easy to bash the yellow boat because we test we practise we go out of our way to accomodate and take the high road when confronted by jealous racers, bullies (no pun intended), gossip, backstabbers and adversity.

We all love the sound of nasty big blocks but that will be a thing of the past very shortly. Have any of you heard the CMS or Gasse Merc 1350 boats? no.. because like it or not technology is moving forward and the boats will become quieter. We get three times as many people commenting on how much they love the sound than we do that don't and the kids love it.

Now that KW is over I'm going to release some information that we did as a test this year to see how competitive we would be in a lower HP class...We turned our motors down to aprox 1500 hp ...ALL SEASON. Any of you guys notice that we aren't running 180 + but 150's and 160 now? Huh.. Any of you notice how Cintron and CMS dusted Miss G in Wed race in KW? Or How Cintron rocked us for 9 laps in Clearwater and Michigan City. Maybe how WHM smoked us in Sarasota guess not. Are you really watching whats happening in offshore?

We had a great run with the Pistons on Wed but were pushed out of the big boat start by one boat. They even had a faster boat.. we told them we wanted to race..They opted for solo laps. Too bad because it was great racing action while it lasted for those that saw it...don't believe me..check the lap times are we really that different in speed? The answer is no. Those that are stirring this thread really don't follow offshore they are just looking for controversey and its easy to use someone who's trying to be better than the past.. the yellow boat.

Take out Turbines...No Way. We feel we are the future.

Why we didn't race on Sunday in KW.

3 of our our friends died and out of respect for their families ,the Miss GEICO stayed on the trailer. Many of our crew were upset and didn't feel they could perform at 100%. For our fans sorry if we let you down.

Regards

Miss GEICO

Bravo!!!

A post like that gives me hope for the future of offshore Racing.

MikeyFIN 11-15-2011 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3549432)

I thought Buzzi was very big on that and I don't think many liked it becuase it was like sitting in a tight capsule but if memory serves me this had been being done 20 years ago and then gave way to the bigger cockpit as people suggest race/poker run design?

Over in Class one at least the separate pods got banned.
The reason for this was it took rescuers a lot more time to check two pods than a canopy if my memory serves correct.
A side by Side monocoque would be a good thing with separate compartments IMO. Keep the open space to fly around to a minimum and at the same time lessen the size of the cockpits.

Turbofan 11-15-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by tanner (Post 3549894)
Marc had a great post ... but in my opinion Miss Geico might not care if they have anyone to race in their class. They have a great big flashy boat that "everyone " is around in the pits, kids cant stop looking, and adults cant stop talking about it !! Geico and their team has spent alot of money to build a great racing team even if they have nobody to compete against. My 8 year old son has Geico posters and signed autographs from the Geico team and he has no idea what they do or who is in 1st , 2 nd or 3rd !! All he knows is Miss Geico is running fast and cool... and thats really all Geico wants is a great return on their advertising investment in another form o motorsports... and I hope its working cause they are a specticule to see and the turbines are awesome to hear... no matter who is or isnt there to race them !!

I think your son is old enough to agree with me, that Marc and Scotty are even much older than him, and that because of this they think in a much more complicated (he might not understand the term "complex") manner than he -still- does.

jeff1000man 11-15-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by no limits (Post 3549218)
2 words...class act.

+1

jeff1000man 11-15-2011 12:03 PM

I finished reading what was out on this thread so far and I agree a little bit with most of you. The GEICO team brings class and money and flash to the races, and this will eventually bring more money into the sport. That Skater V hull is incredible, especially the fly by's. Thanks guys for that on Friday.

My thoughts on the turbines are that some other teams better get going here pretty soon to get the seat time and the testing, because with GEICO getting all the time in on the tracks, even if a comparible team showed up out of no where.... Would they be able to compete at those speeds without the practice?

Anyway, leave GEICO alone. They have the cash and the flash, and obviously a lot of class if they turned the engines down for this year.

They bring a lot more to the table in long term and we should be glad that someone figured out how to get a big sponsor like them into the world of powerboating.

Guys should stop complaining and go find another big sponsor.

Interceptor 11-15-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 3550269)
I finished reading what was out on this thread so far and I agree a little bit with most of you. The GEICO team brings class and money and flash to the races, and this will eventually bring more money into the sport. That Skater V hull is incredible, especially the fly by's. Thanks guys for that on Friday.

My thoughts on the turbines are that some other teams better get going here pretty soon to get the seat time and the testing, because with GEICO getting all the time in on the tracks, even if a comparible team showed up out of no where.... Would they be able to compete at those speeds without the practice?

Anyway, leave GEICO alone. They have the cash and the flash, and obviously a lot of class if they turned the engines down for this year.

They bring a lot more to the table in long term and we should be glad that someone figured out how to get a big sponsor like them into the world of powerboating.

Guys should stop complaining and go find another big sponsor.

wonder what GEICO thinks at the corporate level about boat racing
after last weekend ?

jeff1000man 11-15-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3550314)
wonder what GEICO thinks at the corporate level about boat racing
after last weekend ?

You don't see air racing shutting down after what happened in Vegas and Earnhart hitting the wall didnt shut down NASCAR.

These things happen, they are very very unfortunate, and a huge pot hole on the road to the dream of building powerboat racing into what it can be, but it won't be the end at all.

With every stumble in life we get the opportunity to stop, take a look back at the cause, and learn how to do our best to prevent it from hapening again, but it doesn't mean we quit moving forward.

:coolcowboy: