Notices

Geico take out turbines?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
exactly.... Bill would have stopped the race, and any further scheduled racing next year, until things get sorted out, guidelines are established, and standards are in place....

IMO, a Promoter has a legal and moral obligation to look after his racers FIRST, if 3 racers died in a NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide, or ARCA race the same week does anyone here really think something wouldn't be done?

This IS the World Series of boat racing right?

There's no reason not to have World Class Safety

IMO, JC should step up and lead this parade, or step aside..

it's not all about the Benjamin's
Agree.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
What I was thinking is GEICO may/could choose to remove their sponsorship from the race team and whatever series they sponsor. This is based on an insurance company sponsoring events or entrants where death occurs in high speed vehicles. Probably not a good image for a insurance company. Sponsors come and go at their whims not ours.
I'm not suggesting a race series or race circuit get canceled but possibly a individual sponsor may choose to leave. I hope not as they could be the driving force towards unification and improved safety. They could also leave if these things fail.
ed
I am not in disagreement that it could happen, but I would really hate to see that.

The race course was dangerous this year, and we will all NEVER know the EXACT cause of EACH accident, whether it was agression on the course, wind, wave action, judgement, or medical, I think the root cause of each accident was different in each case, and I would think that a big racing sponsor would probably recognize that and stay the course.

These were freak accidents just like most instances when death occurs in a racing activity. It is definately tragic that it happened all at the same time, and that it happened at all, but logic, and discresion will prevail in cases like this IMO.

But that is the last opinion that I will post on this because in the end, I really don't know what is going on behind the scenes, and it is not really fair for any of us to wager an opinion of what anyone else should do out there.

These are all just thoughts on a page and in the end I am just a fan that wishes he was out out there, and loves to be there when things happen, because thats what fans do. Good or bad. In the end, we were there and and supporting the races this year till the end no matter what the decisions would have been by the organizers or crews. We miss those who have left us, we welcome those that arrive, we cheer for the exciting, and pray for miracles when we need them, and thank God for the good times in between.

Last edited by jeff1000man; 11-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I am not in disagreement that it could happen, but I would really hate to see that.

The race course was dangerous this year, and we will all NEVER know the EXACT cause of EACH accident, whether it was agression on the course, wind, wave action, judgement, or medical, I think the root cause of each accident was different in each case, and I would think that a big racing sponsor would probably recognize that and stay the course.

These were freak accidents just like most instances when death occurs in a racing activity. It is definately tragic that it happened all at the same time, and that it happened at all, but logic, and discresion will prevail in cases like this IMO.

But that is the last opinion that I will post on this because in the end, I really don't know what is going on behind the scenes, and it is not really fair for any of us to wager an opinion of what anyone else should do out there.

These are all just thoughts on a page and in the end I am just a fan that wishes he was out out there, and loves to be there when things happen, because thats what fans do. Good or bad. In the end, we were there and and supporting the races this year till the end no matter what the decisions would have been by the organizers or crews. We miss those who have left us, we welcome those that arrive, we cheer for the exciting, and pray for miracles when we need them, and thank God for the good times in between.
Agree.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Were back from KW and wanted to post our condolences to our friends lost and injured this weekend and found this thread. Here's a couple things to consider.

The Miss Geico racing team has invested over $20 mm creating a platform that combines power speed and technology. We are on race number twenty one on the current set of engines. 21 full throttle races and testing..2 years. And they are still running strong.

If you take Key west out of the equation from Unlimited to Cat light they are all 1-2 boat classes. certainly not enough momentum to justify a $500,000-$750,000 investment. That said ..what happens when/if we did put another boat into a competitive class? Recent offshore history shows that when you have a a well supported team that tests and is very competitive their competitors call them cheaters gang up on them and leave to race another org.

The problem with offshore is systemic, lack of repect for fellow racers, racing organizations,rules and financial instability. Not one boat pushing for a better mousetrap.

When a racing org decides to truly build and back a new class we will consider it. Give the current state f the economy I wouldnt expect anything soon. Don't confuse the picture because a couple of extra boats came out for a specific class in KW. Watch what happens next season when they have to race outside the spotlight of the Worlds. No shows, flip floppers ,trailer queens and keyboard hero's. Hey..How come no one is *****ing to the boats that are no shows???

Whats wrong Whats right. I like to look at our team as what's right for offshore. We are running very advanced technonlogy with formula one live telemetry being downloaded to shore, reliable engines and a really cool sound. We are a proffessional team pushing the limits with safety and performance. Look, We've been around the offshore course a time or two and have to deal with all the macho I'm a big bad boat racer/poker runner,I love the big water, listen to me roar crap. It's a load of BS by people that don't test don't use their brains and don't know what the fk they are truly doing on the race course or otherwise. There is a science to running/racing a boat fast. Have you ever noticed how smooth Miss G runs on a race course compared to other boats..do you think there is a reason for this?

Our crew is right there to help as soon as a competitor of any class needs help whether it be a flipped boat,parts ,expertise, set up, craning engines or advice. We are always there for our fellow racers. Yes, we are whats right for offshore. It's easy to bash the yellow boat because we test we practise we go out of our way to accomodate and take the high road when confronted by jealous racers, bullies (no pun intended), gossip, backstabbers and adversity.

We all love the sound of nasty big blocks but that will be a thing of the past very shortly. Have any of you heard the CMS or Gasse Merc 1350 boats? no.. because like it or not technology is moving forward and the boats will become quieter. We get three times as many people commenting on how much they love the sound than we do that don't and the kids love it.

Now that KW is over I'm going to release some information that we did as a test this year to see how competitive we would be in a lower HP class...We turned our motors down to aprox 1500 hp ...ALL SEASON. Any of you guys notice that we aren't running 180 + but 150's and 160 now? Huh.. Any of you notice how Cintron and CMS dusted Miss G in Wed race in KW? Or How Cintron rocked us for 9 laps in Clearwater and Michigan City. Maybe how WHM smoked us in Sarasota guess not. Are you really watching whats happening in offshore?

We had a great run with the Pistons on Wed but were pushed out of the big boat start by one boat. They even had a faster boat.. we told them we wanted to race..They opted for solo laps. Too bad because it was great racing action while it lasted for those that saw it...don't believe me..check the lap times are we really that different in speed? The answer is no. Those that are stirring this thread really don't follow offshore they are just looking for controversey and its easy to use someone who's trying to be better than the past.. the yellow boat.

Take out Turbines...No Way. We feel we are the future.

Why we didn't race on Sunday in KW.

3 of our our friends died and out of respect for their families ,the Miss GEICO stayed on the trailer. Many of our crew were upset and didn't feel they could perform at 100%. For our fans sorry if we let you down.

Regards

Miss GEICO
One point Marc makes indirectly that needs to be clarified: Since the demise of APBA Offshore LCC (an under-appreciated entity that is looking pretty good from a historical perspective), much of the instability and infighting in offshore racing has come from ... the Super Cat class. (You could even make a strong case that the class led the charge away from APBA Offshore to OSS and, with all due respect to the people at OSS trying to make a go of it, look where that is).

I am not pointing fingers. I am just pointing out a fact—that the "premiere" Super Cat class, and the Open class before it, has often been at the epicenter of offshore racing fragmentation. And I say that despite my respect for and friendships with many people who have raced and still race in that class.

As for why, I hold many of the same theories a lot of folks do (the tired cliche of owner egos being one), but really it comes down to the expense-to-fun ratio. There simply isn't enough fun for the racers in the class to justify the exorbitant expense. And here's where it gets cyclical because, too often, with all the griping and infighting and allegations of cheating and real cheating and leaving for another sandbox, the teams are their own worst enemies.

Don't like the way it's going? Form another organization. How often has that been the solution? (For a much more informed take on this, see Rich Luhrs commentary, "The Price of What," (http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...e-of-what.html.) That path—and I back this statement with history—is a sure loser.

Of course, like everyone else, I would love to see Miss Geico run against any number of the turbine-boat teams that have planned to compete but for one reason or another, have not. But you know what? Watching that boat run is fascinating. It runs flat and level and never appears to be "hung out." I haven't done it myself, but I have a hunch it isn't nearly as easy as Marc Granet and Scott Begovich make it look.

Is it in-class, apples-to-apples racing. No. But it's one hell of an exhibition that delights, at least from the many fans I've spoken with, the people watching.

Miss Geico going piston and changing classes is not the answer. For that, and for what my far from all-knowing take is worth, take a read through the Rich Luhrs column I referenced above.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 11-16-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic post Marc (pretty sure), and the path you guys have chosen is a great one. And frankly different from where most of the other big money boats have come from. I know how much you guys want other competitive turbine boats out there and I hope for the sport's sake it comes to be.

As for JBS's post. Jeff, you stated that sponsors just seem to flock to Miss GEICO, I think that is far from the truth. They work extremely hard on getting every sponsor they come across and usually give more bang for the buck than most teams would be willing to provide. It is extremely difficult in this sport to provide a sponsor with even minimal return on their investment and yet most teams seem to take their sponsors for granted once they do get one. It is this lack of business sense that has hurt the structure and growth of the sport all along. Most teams at most race sites do little to nothing to thank or help their sponsors or the sponsors of those sites. Then they wonder what happens when the site no longer exists. NASCAR and most other pro sports are where they are because they realize it is a business first and foremost, and unfortunately very few offshore teams have ever treated it as such, GEICO is leading the way in that respect too.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by baywatch
Bravo!!!

A post like that gives me hope for the future of offshore Racing.
I second that, theres a guy in the northeast who could set up another turbine boat for what 1350s to 1500 hp motors cost. turbines last a looonnnggg time t53 con be done at a real good price. go Geico yellow boat rules
Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

I had a long article in response to post #32 above in this thread all written up and ready to post, when I discovered the letter of Miss G(#34). After reading it, I didnīt feel like talking about the difference between classical mechanics and fluid thermodynamics any more (and the AGT 1500 is especially complex, due to its preheater and its scroll combustion chamber. But well...). Instead, I printed out Miss Gīs article –or should I say manifest?- and thought about it for a long time. And then came last weekend and the unlimited hydros were running in Doha for the Oryx Cup, and I was in such a good mood that I didnīt want to spoil it by posting to this forum.

First of all I should admit that I too am among those who hadnīt even noticed that Miss G had slowed down all year long. And how could I? The live video cameras and the race commentators pay so little attention to Miss G (“Miss Geico is running her own race”), that I actually would have had to compare their lap times in oreder to discover it. And itīs a good thing that I didnīt discover it, because otherwise I would have ended up all confused and thinking that physics doesnīt work any more. But Miss G is of course entitled to call me a bad student of offshore racing.

At any rate, the Geico team appears to me like Kung-Fu fighters among a horde of Viking warriers:
We've been around the offshore course a time or two and have to deal with all the macho I'm a big bad boat racer/poker runner,I love the big water, listen to me roar crap.
It's easy to bash the yellow boat because we test we practise we go out of our way to accomodate and take the high road when confronted by jealous racers, bullies (no pun intended), gossip, backstabbers and adversity.
What Miss G is apparently trying to do, is to introduce sophistication into a sport, which is pervaded by an essentially barbarian spirit. And here they do have a problem: They do not only love offshore racing, but they also love advanced technology. And on a scene dominated by farter crazy (pardon: I know they like BBīs, but I donīt) Viking warriers they are bound to run against a concrete wall with that latter love of theirs.

Now if they tuned down their engines in hopes to get a chance to compete with other boats, I would consider this as a rather desperate measure. I see their downtuning as a sacrifice they made for their sport, trying to somehow fit in. But the worst thing is, that they did that ALL SEASON LONG, and nobody (including myself) even took notice of it. Boy, must that have been frustrating for them! I hope that they at least could laugh once in a while about their tragicomical situation. But in distinction to others, this tactic of theirs and its outcome has not served to instill any hope for the future in me.

They believe that they are the future, and I wish I could believe the same. But if they believe that, then they probably also believe in the continuous progress of our society. And that I certainly donīt believe any more. Because history has clearly shown that progress is not continuous, but comes and goes (most notorious is the decline of the Roman Empire, followed by 1000 years of the (“dark”) Middle Ages). I had already touched on nothing but the technological aspect of this in another thread, at http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3545628 . As an anthropologist and neuroscientist I could say much about the irrational nature of our species, and as a sociologist about the retaining forces of customs and traditions. And I do have reasons to believe that at present we are on a cultural downgrade again. But all of this would only serve to discourage Miss G, and that is exactly the last thing I want to do here. I am just afraid that on top of their troubles with the turbine class, they are also running against the trend of our times.So here I have another reason for leaving this forum (see below).

As far as a tendency of race boats getting quieter is concerned, I would like to know more about these Gasse Merc 1350 boats and have googled for them, but couldnīt find anything. And far as CMS is concerned, I onnly found something about marine wastewater recycling systems.

On the other hand, I hear that kids of today that are into airplanes prefer jets over propeller planes. This is what has motivated the organizers of the Reno Air Races to introduce the jet class, according to an interview I saw. And they say that it was a success. And kids seem to love the Miss Geico, because she just looks so cool (better not tell them that she is going slow, because they wouldnīt understand it). So maybe what it will take to get the turbine class off the ground is for the old farts to fade away and a new generation to take their place.

Meanwhile, if I were Jeff (JBS) I would stop crying and get my ass over to the Geico workshop tomorrow or next weekend at the latest and ask for advice (“teach me to race” Iīd say, and I know they wouldnīt let me down). And among other things they would probably tell me to throw out my flame throwers, get a working and decent website (above all: no racing schedule of last year!) and look for sponsors advertising myself as a PROFESSIONAL RACE TEAM (“We are a proffessional team pushing the limits with safety and performance...” etc..). After all, who wants to sponsor a bunch of clowns? Nobody. I cannot see any reason why the Geico receipe should not work for other teams as well if they are willing to take the trouble. And after they have taught me how to dust them, I would attribute my victory to my teachers (logically, since it would be true).

And in parting, I would just like to say one thing about boats like Big Thunder: The heavier the untrimmed overload in the stern of a race boat, the easier it is going to flip. Sounds logical, doesnīt it? So if it must be pistons, why not use two-strokers? After all, they have twice the power to weight ratio as do four-strokers (Wankels would be even better). But well, never mind: I know that technical fine points are not popular among Viking warriers.

Those that are stirring this thread really don't follow offshore they are just looking for controversy..
It is true that I have been stirring up this thread, and I have already admitted to be a bad student of offshore racing. And yes, I have been looking for controversy because the old farts here just make me puke.

So in order to not be incoherent, my admiration for Miss Geico obliges me to leave this forum now. They are far more noble than I am, perhaps due to their unconditional love for offshore racing. But as it turns out, the yellow boat had lured me to a place where I really shouldnīt be. So moderator, you can eliminate my account. Good bye and all the luck in the world to you, Miss G.

Peter
Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbofan
I had a long article in response to post #32 above in this thread all written up and ready to post, when I discovered the letter of Miss G(#34). After reading it, I didnīt feel like talking about the difference between classical mechanics and fluid thermodynamics any more (and the AGT 1500 is especially complex, due to its preheater and its scroll combustion chamber. But well...). Instead, I printed out Miss Gīs article –or should I say manifest?- and thought about it for a long time. And then came last weekend and the unlimited hydros were running in Doha for the Oryx Cup, and I was in such a good mood that I didnīt want to spoil it by posting to this forum.

First of all I should admit that I too am among those who hadnīt even noticed that Miss G had slowed down all year long. And how could I? The live video cameras and the race commentators pay so little attention to Miss G (“Miss Geico is running her own race”), that I actually would have had to compare their lap times in oreder to discover it. And itīs a good thing that I didnīt discover it, because otherwise I would have ended up all confused and thinking that physics doesnīt work any more. But Miss G is of course entitled to call me a bad student of offshore racing.

At any rate, the Geico team appears to me like Kung-Fu fighters among a horde of Viking warriers:

What Miss G is apparently trying to do, is to introduce sophistication into a sport, which is pervaded by an essentially barbarian spirit. And here they do have a problem: They do not only love offshore racing, but they also love advanced technology. And on a scene dominated by farter crazy (pardon: I know they like BBīs, but I donīt) Viking warriers they are bound to run against a concrete wall with that latter love of theirs.

Now if they tuned down their engines in hopes to get a chance to compete with other boats, I would consider this as a rather desperate measure. I see their downtuning as a sacrifice they made for their sport, trying to somehow fit in. But the worst thing is, that they did that ALL SEASON LONG, and nobody (including myself) even took notice of it. Boy, must that have been frustrating for them! I hope that they at least could laugh once in a while about their tragicomical situation. But in distinction to others, this tactic of theirs and its outcome has not served to instill any hope for the future in me.

They believe that they are the future, and I wish I could believe the same. But if they believe that, then they probably also believe in the continuous progress of our society. And that I certainly donīt believe any more. Because history has clearly shown that progress is not continuous, but comes and goes (most notorious is the decline of the Roman Empire, followed by 1000 years of the (“dark”) Middle Ages). I had already touched on nothing but the technological aspect of this in another thread, at http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3545628 . As an anthropologist and neuroscientist I could say much about the irrational nature of our species, and as a sociologist about the retaining forces of customs and traditions. And I do have reasons to believe that at present we are on a cultural downgrade again. But all of this would only serve to discourage Miss G, and that is exactly the last thing I want to do here. I am just afraid that on top of their troubles with the turbine class, they are also running against the trend of our times.So here I have another reason for leaving this forum (see below).

As far as a tendency of race boats getting quieter is concerned, I would like to know more about these Gasse Merc 1350 boats and have googled for them, but couldnīt find anything. And far as CMS is concerned, I onnly found something about marine wastewater recycling systems.

On the other hand, I hear that kids of today that are into airplanes prefer jets over propeller planes. This is what has motivated the organizers of the Reno Air Races to introduce the jet class, according to an interview I saw. And they say that it was a success. And kids seem to love the Miss Geico, because she just looks so cool (better not tell them that she is going slow, because they wouldnīt understand it). So maybe what it will take to get the turbine class off the ground is for the old farts to fade away and a new generation to take their place.

Meanwhile, if I were Jeff (JBS) I would stop crying and get my ass over to the Geico workshop tomorrow or next weekend at the latest and ask for advice (“teach me to race” Iīd say, and I know they wouldnīt let me down). And among other things they would probably tell me to throw out my flame throwers, get a working and decent website (above all: no racing schedule of last year!) and look for sponsors advertising myself as a PROFESSIONAL RACE TEAM (“We are a proffessional team pushing the limits with safety and performance...” etc..). After all, who wants to sponsor a bunch of clowns? Nobody. I cannot see any reason why the Geico receipe should not work for other teams as well if they are willing to take the trouble. And after they have taught me how to dust them, I would attribute my victory to my teachers (logically, since it would be true).

And in parting, I would just like to say one thing about boats like Big Thunder: The heavier the untrimmed overload in the stern of a race boat, the easier it is going to flip. Sounds logical, doesnīt it? So if it must be pistons, why not use two-strokers? After all, they have twice the power to weight ratio as do four-strokers (Wankels would be even better). But well, never mind: I know that technical fine points are not popular among Viking warriers.

It is true that I have been stirring up this thread, and I have already admitted to be a bad student of offshore racing. And yes, I have been looking for controversy because the old farts here just make me puke.

So in order to not be incoherent, my admiration for Miss Geico obliges me to leave this forum now. They are far more noble than I am, perhaps due to their unconditional love for offshore racing. But as it turns out, the yellow boat had lured me to a place where I really shouldnīt be. So moderator, you can eliminate my account. Good bye and all the luck in the world to you, Miss G.

Peter
Please dont go. The post was not directed towards your intellegent conversation more towards shallow minded "Vikings" that have not spent time studing the art. No, Yip Man please don't go.in fact when you have time stop by our shop so we can talk in more detail, we have some associates I think you would get along with.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbofan

Peter

Nice post!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
exactly.... Bill would have stopped the race, and any further scheduled racing next year, until things get sorted out, guidelines are established, and standards are in place....

IMO, a Promoter has a legal and moral obligation to look after his racers FIRST, if 3 racers died in a NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide, or ARCA race the same week does anyone here really think something wouldn't be done?

This IS the World Series of boat racing right?

There's no reason not to have World Class Safety

IMO, JC should step up and lead this parade, or step aside..

it's not all about the Benjamin's

You are so right. I have been waiting a week for someone to come out and state what was so obvious to me. Thank you !!

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.