Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Commentary: The Price of What (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265640-commentary-price-what.html)

Racegirl3 11-13-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 3548823)

Don't forget that hydros are 100% purpose built RACE machines. You are delusional if you think a 4 person cockpit that's larger than a SUV is going to sustain a 200 + MPH crash. Offshore boats are multipurpose built these days.

Amen ..... only .... I think you can lower that speed number :(

audacity 11-13-2011 05:04 PM

Too Stroked 11-13-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver (Post 3548828)
Hey guys I kept watching the videos of the big thunder wreck and it was awfull to watch that. I kept asking myself one thing WHY did the race still continue making it take forever for rescue to get there trying not to hit boats flying by going 100+ and trying to get to the crash site. It didn't make any sense to me and hopefully you guys can share some light on me and maybe I'll see it from a different perspective. But it brought tears to my eyes watching that wreck and seeing how long it took for rescue to get there meanwhile the other boats just kept hauling tail, that's dangerous in itself. I'm not trying to stir anything up I just believe they would have had a BETTER chance of making it if rescue would have arrived sooner by not having to maneuver through the race still going on. Nobody knows if it was from the injuries from the crash or from drowning but I really hope it wasn't from drowning. If it's innapropriate then delete my response here but I guess I'm just throwing out suggestions so maybe we can learn from this and it doesn't happen again because I have said it was tough watching that video. We love watching the races but please stay safe guys.

Truth be told, in this and most other serious accidents, there is very little other competitiors can do other than get in the way of trained safety crews. Yes, it may have seemed like a long time, but it was actually a pretty quick response.

272bajadriver 11-13-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3548891)
Truth be told, in this and most other serious accidents, there is very little other competitiors can do other than get in the way of trained safety crews. Yes, it may have seemed like a long time, but it was actually a pretty quick response.

Well said, what I was meaning was for the race to actually stop so the safety crews don't have to worry about being hit by a another boat coming on by. The video shows other boats blowing by at high speeds which I would think it would be easier if they just stopped(not meaning stop and jumping in the water to help) so the safety boats would have a better path to the distressed boat without having to worry about being hit by the race boats.

Griff 11-13-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver (Post 3548828)
Hey guys I kept watching the videos of the big thunder wreck and it was awfull to watch that. I kept asking myself one thing WHY did the race still continue making it take forever for rescue to get there trying not to hit boats flying by going 100+ and trying to get to the crash site. It didn't make any sense to me and hopefully you guys can share some light on me and maybe I'll see it from a different perspective. But it brought tears to my eyes watching that wreck and seeing how long it took for rescue to get there meanwhile the other boats just kept hauling tail, that's dangerous in itself. I'm not trying to stir anything up I just believe they would have had a BETTER chance of making it if rescue would have arrived sooner by not having to maneuver through the race still going on. Nobody knows if it was from the injuries from the crash or from drowning but I really hope it wasn't from drowning. If it's innapropriate then delete my response here but I guess I'm just throwing out suggestions so maybe we can learn from this and it doesn't happen again because I have said it was tough watching that video. We love watching the races but please stay safe guys.

The rescue boat was on the scene in 30 seconds and divers were in the water in 45 seconds. It seems like a long time when watching, but really it cannot get much faster than that.
I am fairly certain it was the impact and canopy destruction that caused their fatal injuries.

innerrage 11-13-2011 06:50 PM

the last line sums it all up,well said.

glassdave 11-13-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver (Post 3548911)
Well said, what I was meaning was for the race to actually stop so the safety crews don't have to worry about being hit by a another boat coming on by. The video shows other boats blowing by at high speeds which I would think it would be easier if they just stopped(not meaning stop and jumping in the water to help) so the safety boats would have a better path to the distressed boat without having to worry about being hit by the race boats.

Having been fished out of flipped boats as well as having had to race around them there is actually more room then it looks. There are a few things that alert drivers of caution, low hovering helicopter or orange smoke, Etc. As a rule racers will approach light on the throttle as well as giving ample room for rescue to do its job even though it may not appear like it on the video.

272bajadriver 11-13-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3548941)
Having been fished out of flipped boats as well as having had to race around them there is actually more room then it looks. There are a few things that alert drivers of caution, low hovering helicopter or orange smoke, Etc. As a rule racers will approach light on the throttle as well as giving ample room for rescue to do its job even though it may not appear like it on the video.

Thanks for giving me a better perspective guys. It was just tragic what happened this week, way too many lives lost. These guys always put on a great show when they race, I have been going to the Clearwater races these last couple of years and it's a blast to watch it just sucks what happened in Key West. I can't even imagine what their families are going through right now.

Raylar 11-13-2011 09:43 PM

Matt:
I have to agree in most part with Rich's commentary on this weeks very unfortunate losses and injuries. A lot of us in the performance boating industry as well as many of the racers and even race fans have been calling for unity in the world of offshore boat racing. It's not just easy to say that unification alone will solve the problems and inject new safety to the sport in short order, but as many of us have been saying for 4-5 years now unification may help prevent the ultimate demise of this sport and the furthur shrinking of performance boating.
When these deaths occur the many misinformed outside people start scrutinizing the safety of the sport. When this happens the number of participants , sponsors, funding, venues and the very future of the sport is jeprodized to what could be a point of extinction. This industry and particularly the racing organizations and individuals need to push now and move towards unification with the first and foremost goal being the better establishment of safety for the racers in these boats!
The technology, reasons and ability for instituting these new saftey measures are here and the time is no better than now!
My opinionated four word prophecy for the sport, "DO IT OR DIE!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar