Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Commentary: The Price of What (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265640-commentary-price-what.html)

fastdonzi 11-15-2011 09:15 AM

I remember when Chris Hodges had so much trust in his Safety pod/Canopy design that he rode in one that was dropped from a Helicopter at the Miami Marine stadium. (he was fine BTW)

I think instead of saving weight, we should be saving Lives.

Roll bars will help some but I think the major problem is the small access hatches not holding up and being the initial weak spot allowing enough water intrusion that it rips the hatch off then blows the canopy apart from the inside. A hefty pod type enclosure is what is needed, let the boat soak up the impact and keep the pod safe.

Matt Trulio 11-15-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut (Post 3549945)
Great article Matt. Well said.

I agree, but just to give credit where it's due, I didn't say it. Rich Luhrs did.

BUIZILLA 11-15-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 3550098)
Short of foaming the guys in up to their eyes, offshore racing is about as safe as amateur cropdusting. If you would appreciate that the frickin' poker run has boats that will outrun ALL of the raceboats, save one, you can appreciate the potential for fatalities. Years ago, I was in Ron Jones' unlimited shop, when he was at the top of his game. As we sat in the waiting room, I looked around the room and saw pictures of all my heroes, Muncey, Manchester, Wilson and so on. They had one thing in common: THEY WERE ALL KILLED IN AN UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE! The unlimited guys have taken the tiger by the tail, and fixed their problem. We are blessed to have one of their best in our midst, Steve David. Start a safety committee with Steve and Rich Luhrs, Bill Seebold, Chris Hodges, etc., and get something going. It ain't gonna fix itself.........

word...

C_Spray 11-15-2011 11:22 AM

Safety isn't based in rules, it's not based in technology, and it's not based on money. Safety is an ATTITUDE, one which, admit it or not, is generally lacking in offshore racing. There are a few people who get it (see posts above), but the attitude is not nearly widespread enough.

The existence of a single sanctioning body gives that body the sufficient overhead reserves to administer a proper safety program by having large enough fields to generate events that draw the sponsorship and funding to drive progress.

It's really not that complicated, but given the current state of affairs, I'm afraid that it's not very probable right now...

SHARKEY-IMAGES 11-15-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3549260)
Grant it there are small entities organizing races here and there as well as some series but if the organizers make the requirements for racing more and more expensive they will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing..

And if nothing is done to improve the safety for the racers, we will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing...... forever. :(

Canopy improvements have increased over the years, unfortunately the speed increased faster than the improvements. Until something can be done for the speeds of today, I say slow the boats down to what is an acceptable speed for today's canopy design...

Isn't that what NASCAR did with the restricter plates to slow the cars down ?

Just my thoughts.

As usual, great write up Rich !

Mike A. 11-15-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3550231)
Safety isn't based in rules, it's not based in technology, and it's not based on money. Safety is an ATTITUDE, one which, admit it or not, is generally lacking in offshore racing. There are a few people who get it (see posts above), but the attitude is not nearly widespread enough.

The existence of a single sanctioning body gives that body the sufficient overhead reserves to administer a proper safety program by having large enough fields to generate events that draw the sponsorship and funding to drive progress.

It's really not that complicated, but given the current state of affairs, I'm afraid that it's not very probable right now...

Perfectly stated! Pop and I were lamenting the other night how far ahead we would be on safety if the LLC had succeeded. Tragic.

MikeyFIN 11-15-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES (Post 3550240)
And if nothing is done to improve the safety for the racers, we will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing...... forever. :(

Canopy improvements have increased over the years, unfortunately the speed increased faster than the improvements. Until something can be done for the speeds of today, I say slow the boats down to what is an acceptable speed for today's canopy design...

Just my thoughts.

Restrictors came into ASA already 1984 , way before Nascar because Camaros and Firebirds would've outrun the Winston Cuppers.

It's not about speed it's about the sudden stop. Take the courses out so the speeds must slow down because of the conditions and it gets no better BUT every team has to think theirselves also as much about safety as performance if the courses go out.

We're losing racers at a faster rate than 1986-1990 at the moment....

Interceptor 11-15-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES (Post 3550240)

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 3550369)
Restrictors came into ASA already 1984 , way before Nascar because Camaros and Firebirds would've outrun the Winston Cuppers.

It's not about speed it's about the sudden stop. Take the courses out so the speeds must slow down because of the conditions and it gets no better BUT every team has to think theirselves also as much about safety as performance if the courses go out.

We're losing racers at a faster rate than 1986-1990 at the moment....

NASCAR brought in the safer wall which absorbs some of the impact.

MikeyFIN 11-15-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3550430)
NASCAR brought in the safer wall which absorbs some of the impact.

OT.
Maybe to the ovals but Hay bales and water inside tirebarriers has been used many moons ago in autoracing...