Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Warpaint Crash Pics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265658-warpaint-crash-pics.html)

GLH 11-24-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3556766)
GL.....it's Thanksgiving. Couldn't just one frame be that boob shot you always post? Be a giver okay? :)

Don't know what your talking about... Say goodbye to my friend leaving Norty however...

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/ewasonne.gif

SpecialFX 11-24-2011 02:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87HIlOIYFA

This link was posted on another thread here, think more than likely this shows how the Warpaint canopy might have failed. I doubt the Warpaint canopy it is designed to flex this much which lead to it's failure when it is impacted as it was in the stuff...this shows that the Warpaint canopy needs to be re-enforced. I don't intend to upset anyone here, and I am happy and relieved that the crew Bob and Danny were not seriously hurt but that might have been all down to luck. We really need to get serious about our safety.

DMOORE 11-24-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Apache041 (Post 3556185)
I've been reading this post since the crash.....their are some good points and their are a lot of NO KNOWLEGE opinions.

1. Our canopy is multi-laminated, this design would not work with a roll bar.....the roll bar would make the canopy to rigid (like glass). It was made to flex.

2. The canopy flexed during the high speed impact and then eventually broke....the point is, it did take the initial impact,
THAT IS WHAT SAVED OUR LIVES.
Most people have no idea of the amount of pressure water has during a 115mph stuff

3. Could safety be improved? THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR SAFETY IMPROVEMENT.

4. Will we learn from this accident? We'd be idiots not to build a better mouse trap here.

5. I was in the boat....DANNY and I LIVED, without to much injury......The boat and canopy did their job, for this type of accident.

END OF STORY

MikeyFIN...thanks for the backup

With the design of your canopy, would a roll cage which was designed to "limit" the flexability of the canopy be feasable? In otherwords, There would be an airgap, or slamm crush structure, between the canopy, and the cage. After initial deformation of the canopy, the cage would then strategically support the canopy to reduce further deformation.
As you said, there is always room for improvement in safety. Just as these boats are safer than they were ten years ago, they will continue to become safer in the future.

Darrell.

FREEDOM US1 11-24-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Apache041 (Post 3556185)
I've been reading this post since the crash.....their are some good points and their are a lot of NO KNOWLEGE opinions.

1. Our canopy is multi-laminated, this design would not work with a roll bar.....the roll bar would make the canopy to rigid (like glass). It was made to flex.

2. The canopy flexed during the high speed impact and then eventually broke....the point is, it did take the initial impact,
THAT IS WHAT SAVED OUR LIVES.
Most people have no idea of the amount of pressure water has during a 115mph stuff

3. Could safety be improved? THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR SAFETY IMPROVEMENT.

4. Will we learn from this accident? We'd be idiots not to build a better mouse trap here.

5. I was in the boat....DANNY and I LIVED, without to much injury......The boat and canopy did their job, for this type of accident.

END OF STORY

MikeyFIN...thanks for the backup

Glad you guys survived! I raced with Bob Morgan in 1997 98 99. I was the driver. Haven't really said much about this bad year in Key West because it is what it is and i'm really upset about what happened. Bobs son and I stuffed the old 4 engine 46 Skater in Miami at 110 mph hour so I kind of know what you guys went through. Theres a small group of people working together to make the boats safer. Some manufactures listen better then others. Boats will alway fail at some point but as you know theres always room for improvement on most boats out there. If you want to bounce any ideas around on your rebuild I would be happy to share ideas on designs that work better. Good luck on a full recovery!!

Gripenland 11-25-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1 (Post 3557019)
. Theres a small group of people working together to make the boats safer. Some manufactures listen better then others.

Can you tell us anything more about this?

FREEDOM US1 11-25-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenland (Post 3557193)
Can you tell us anything more about this?

Take a good look at Mystics and Doug Wrights Newer boats as well as the Citron. I build the thicker laminated WS for these boats as well as discuss installation methods using extra thick inner flanges with outer retainers to help hold the WS in place instead of blowing out. We also reduced size of exposed WS to help reduce the amount of energy it has to over come when the boat stuffs or rolls. These designs will still fail at some point but will hang in there much better then whats out there. I build and install aerospace windshield for a living and raced for 5 years in the 90s. Two years in a 28 skater and three in Bobs 46 Skaters. By the way. I build thicker laminated windows for Skater on the newer boats but the only one I would be happy with is the way Talking Trash modified theirs by adding the outer retainer and reducing the amount of exposed window area. MTI has done a great job on some of their latest boat as well. I'm no billy Bad azz ruler of the world or anything but just doing some commonsense stuff to make the top of the boat as strong as the bottom in case you crash.

mike tkach 11-25-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by nikonmiami (Post 3549540)
i was on the sebago, shooting into the sun most of the day and super choppy...was not a pleasureable afternoon

i was also on the sebago on sunday,i saw him shooting these pictures,i am amazed how anyone could get this quality with 6 foot seas,the seabago was rocking,it was almost imposible to walk on it,nikonmiami,u are my hero.

offshoredrillin 11-26-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1 (Post 3557549)
Take a good look at Mystics and Doug Wrights Newer boats as well as the Citron. I build the thicker laminated WS for these boats as well as discuss installation methods using extra thick inner flanges with outer retainers to help hold the WS in place instead of blowing out. We also reduced size of exposed WS to help reduce the amount of energy it has to over come when the boat stuffs or rolls. These designs will still fail at some point but will hang in there much better then whats out there. I build and install aerospace windshield for a living and raced for 5 years in the 90s. Two years in a 28 skater and three in Bobs 46 Skaters. By the way. I build thicker laminated windows for Skater on the newer boats but the only one I would be happy with is the way Talking Trash modified theirs by adding the outer retainer and reducing the amount of exposed window area. MTI has done a great job on some of their latest boat as well. I'm no billy Bad azz ruler of the world or anything but just doing some commonsense stuff to make the top of the boat as strong as the bottom in case you crash.

Way to go Jim, to me thats the common sense way to approach it. I think one of the things that is overlooked by the masses is the sheer force of water and the intrusion factor is so much different that air. a canopy or a windshiled in air does have to remain intact to take a strike, air not being a solid will take the path of least resistance. water as a solid and being pressurized from a flip or a stuff with make its own path, generally at the weakest point, think of a water jet that is used to cut steel.
Another consideration is that in the event of a flip, the water displaces everything, so on top of the carnage from the impact you have water displacing all the air and drivers possibly unconscious from the impact and water coming in from all around, you just took a horrible situation and made it worse. Is full time air now going to be mandatory? one of the safety checks for each team should be a working oxygen system, no worky, no racey...

FREEDOM US1 11-26-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3557683)
Way to go Jim, to me thats the common sense way to approach it. I think one of the things that is overlooked by the masses is the sheer force of water and the intrusion factor is so much different that air. a canopy or a windshiled in air does have to remain intact to take a strike, air not being a solid will take the path of least resistance. water as a solid and being pressurized from a flip or a stuff with make its own path, generally at the weakest point, think of a water jet that is used to cut steel.
Another consideration is that in the event of a flip, the water displaces everything, so on top of the carnage from the impact you have water displacing all the air and drivers possibly unconscious from the impact and water coming in from all around, you just took a horrible situation and made it worse. Is full time air now going to be mandatory? one of the safety checks for each team should be a working oxygen system, no worky, no racey...

What it really comes down to is the two guys getting in the boat and what their willing to risk. All the rules in the world won't save lives in every situation. Nothing keeps guys from wearing full time air now. We used to have full size tanks in big thunder in 1998 although the masks we wore wouldnt work if we were past out. You would need to wear a sealed helmet with a boot around your neck like the drag boat guys to work when your passed out. Nothing really stops anybody from wearing those now but I think it would be going over board to make it mandatory. I do however think if your going to run in a canopy boat there should be some new canopy requirements. Something as simple as adding a stronger and wider inner retainer and adding a outer bra and or retainer reducing the exposed windshield area to existing boats like Talking Trash did on their Skater. A thicker window would be nice as well but retainers would help the existing windows hold up better as a start and keep referb costs down for teams on a tight budget. This would save lives. But you still could die. Its racing!! I'm not here for a debate but just trying to help. I wish everybody the best! Good luck!

Gripenland 11-26-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1 (Post 3557549)
Take a good look at Mystics and Doug Wrights Newer boats as well as the Citron. I build the thicker laminated WS for these boats as well as discuss installation methods using extra thick inner flanges with outer retainers to help hold the WS in place instead of blowing out. We also reduced size of exposed WS to help reduce the amount of energy it has to over come when the boat stuffs or rolls. These designs will still fail at some point but will hang in there much better then whats out there.

http://th214.photobucket.com/albums/..._thumbs_up.gif
I guess they are polycarbonate wind screens? How thick are they?