Notices

Warpaint Crash Pics

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Actually it's not about how under-engineereed something is built Today or Yesterday but engineered in general. Remember the Apache is Michael Peters "first" and innovative design, at the time he pulled all the stops and the Canopy has a real small (frontal) area, therefore being really safe.
I think many canopydesigners/builders should take notice it doesn't look like an eggshell.
Looks pretty under-engineered to me, it's completely collapsed!

Yes it might have had small frontal area, but structurally it obviously didn't cut the mustard! It collapsed like that from a 'stuff', imagine what it could of looked like had the boat flipped or rolled at speed? The outcome could have been a lot worse!!! IMO, the racing bodies need to start mandating and enforcing more rigorous and robust canopy design requirements.

After the events from this past week, there's obviously plenty of room for improvement here. If death can easily be prevented it would be silly not to fix the obvious design flaws, especially in light of last week's tragic events.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO there's no amount of glass with reinforcements that stay intact with an impact on water at those speeds. Therefore the only way to make it safer is to limit the area and the angle of attack.

Death Can NOT be easily prevented here there's a big IF there. IMO Not on any of the crashes seen the last 2 years even. Just look at the Class1 flips also.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually it's not about how under-engineereed something is built Today or Yesterday but engineered in general. Remember the Apache is Michael Peters "first" and innovative design, at the time he pulled all the stops and the Canopy has a real small (frontal) area, therefore being really safe.
I think many canopydesigners/builders should take notice it doesn't look like an eggshell.
Sorry Mikey, but that is not Michael Peters' first design. The Cigarette Halter cat was, at least 3 years before he did the Apache project........
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

in order to create strict rule enforcement, you will need $$ on all sides both on circuit side and boat owner side. lets see where the sport will go next...let see how much teams/people really want to go racing on their own dime before they get burnt out on spending. It needs to be done to save lives
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Looks collapsed to me....in that last pic.
Basically missing it's roof and hatch.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

IMO there's no amount of glass with reinforcements that stay intact with an impact on water at those speeds. Therefore the only way to make it safer is to limit the area and the angle of attack.
Baloney! The rest of the boat looks like it faired very well, the only significant structural failure I see is the canopy. There's no reason this couldn't have been prevented or even minimized by a more robust design (in both layup, polycarbonate thickness and attachment, and overall design).

You're never going to make something fail-proof, but there's obviously plenty of room for improvement here!!!

Last edited by SS930; 11-14-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Just my opinion but if Drag boats can crash and disintegrate at 220 mph I think there's something that can be done better with boats.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc4tMvI2XjM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Sorry Mikey, but that is not Michael Peters' first design. The Cigarette Halter cat was, at least 3 years before he did the Apache project........
Rich, Thats why I wrote "first" not first....early on anyways.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930

You're never going to make something fail-proof, but there's obviously plenty of room for improvement here!!!
At least we agree on something.
Of all the canopies I've seen collapse in the last few years Warpaints got the job done best by the info I've got at the moment and No I haven't seen all the crashes for sure.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 11-14-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Photos. Glad Bobby and Danny are OK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.