Notices

Miami sportswriter thinks powerboat racing should be banned

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=HabanaJoe;3549287]
Originally Posted by SS930
I'm amazed there's only one article floating around like this. QUOTE]

I agree with this, when you look at the number of "offshore" races per year X the number of boats entered and compare that to NHRA, any type of dirt track, motorcross where there are hundreds of tracks racing multi-times per week and the sheer number of cars/bikes at each VS. the number of people killed - offshore racing has to rank way up there as close to most dangerous.

Yes, when a person like this reporter just writes his feelings it is dangerous but if you do the math you'll see there is a very high percentage of fatalites compared to other motorsports.

I'm just saying that because instead of all the bitterness and hate mail because someone wrote something you/we don't like about "offshore" racing maybe all energy should be used to get your sport back on track if anyone that races really wants it back together?

Maybe people like being a 1, 2 or 3 boat class, at least you always have a trophy to bring home and tell yourself you're a winner?

ps that was not intended for/at anyone - I raced in classes with 3 boats, got a second place trophy because I broke down second and never finished the race but still got that trophy - it kind of felt wrong and still does to me not to finsih and get an award?
On Sunday I was listening to the web cast of the Key West races and because of the events of the week they replayed an archived interview with Fabio Buzzi from 2001. In the interview he noted that there was some 400 offshore racers worldwide, and of that number eight had perished in racing accidents that year giving the sport an astounding fatality rate of 2%. Buzzi said that the 2% fatality rate made Offshore Racing the most dangerous motorized sport in the world, by far, and that safety needed to improve.

Has it?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's similar to crime rates per capita...

The fatalities in boat racing look worse because the sport is so small. I think the uniform capsule rules should come into effect. They should borrow the rules from Class 1 in europe...

No fatality is acceptable in any sport, it's dangerous but then again all racing is...the sport needs more sponsors and money to infuse it to bring it back to life. The economy has hit it hard...
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
It's similar to crime rates per capita...

.the sport needs more sponsors and money to infuse it to bring it back to life. The economy has hit it hard...
Which means the obvious solution is to put the ego's in check and unify the sport into one sanctioning body. It would be a nice gesture if the heads of the various organizations accomplished that task in the name of all those racers who have given all for the sport.

Doubt it happens but one can dream.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
Miami Herald sportswriter Greg Cote wrote in Sundays paper:

"Three drivers were killed and one injured during the weekend's Key West Super Boat World Championships. Crazy thought: Powerboat racing is absurdly dangerous and it should be banned."

You can e-mail Greg directly at [email protected] and share your thoughts on this with him...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Which means the obvious solution is to put the ego's in check and unify the sport into one sanctioning body. It would be a nice gesture if the heads of the various organizations accomplished that task in the name of all those racers who have given all for the sport.

Doubt it happens but one can dream.
Absolutely agree....
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
They should borrow the rules from Class 1 in europe...
The rules in Class1 is no better... open helmets, regular scuba gear regulators hanging from 5 point racing harnesses and sofort.

Just see yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeQloe8rJs
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Email sent.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't dignify this A-hole by sending him an email.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

]My email-

Message body

"Three drivers were killed and one injured during the weekend's Key West Super Boat World Championships. Crazy thought: Powerboat racing is absurdly dangerous and it should be banned."

Heres a thought, educate yourself before writing. Offshore Powerboat racing is no more dangerous than any motor sport. The extremely tragic events that took place in Key West this week are un heard of. With this comment you have not only personally offended myself, but the 1000's of fans of our sport. How about instead of crudley and sarcastically insulting our sport and everyone involved with it, write a tribute to the Racers who arent with us anymore. But hey, what do I know?

Johnny Saris, Driver of the 517 Saris Racing Engines boat[/QUOTE]well said , this azzhat will be looking for a job soon enough as newspapers are a dieing thing of the past.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

kinda like banning motorcycle events because someone got killed...

wait, someone already mentioned this...

Cote has, historically over the years, commented on a LOT of topics which he had no particular interest, knowledge, or following... he must have had a slow day in the office and NOTHING else to write about...