Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's amazing..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265702-its-amazing.html)

US1 Fountain 11-15-2011 10:54 AM

I used automotive oil, should I drain and use Merc oil only? :D

s022mag 11-15-2011 12:57 PM

Geesh I don't even know why they make marine parts if automotive is just as good??

tomtbone1993 11-15-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by TxHawk (Post 3550113)
Don't believe everything you are told unless you know for yourself. Otherwise, you will go on to a forum and tell a bunch of DIY'ers how you let your mech. blow smoke up your a$$.

".

:lolhit::lolhit::party-smiley-004:

tomtbone1993 11-15-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3550210)

Are you saying I need to get rid of all the gas in my boat???I purchased off the street at a auto gas station......:eek:

US1 Fountain 11-15-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by s022mag (Post 3550316)
Geesh I don't even know why they make marine parts if automotive is just as good??

That's too much of a blank statement. There are some parts that should not be interchanged, or at least auto parts used in the marine application, such as ignition components for the spark issue. Otherwise they work just the same, and cheaper, considering most are just modified auto parts to begin with.

Your mechanic just got excited because he has more work now to change the plugs. ;) Your car plugs are exposed to way more wet/salt conditions than your boat and for the most part the plug body is a non issue. I would think cars would be more likely to use SS plug bodies.

s022mag 11-15-2011 01:56 PM

Ahh I thought the samething but you have to consider how much air circulation u get around a car motor vs one in a engine compartment.

I see your point with auto parts and would prob use them too if the were virtually identical but this just doesn't seem like it was the right application for this boat.

Panther 11-15-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3550134)
He may be able to get the plug out with an EZ-out instead of pulling the head off... A little heat on the plug and an EZ-out in place of the ceramic and he might be able to get it out.

I'd pay for an hour's worth of labor trying to do that before paying to R&R a head.

The other thing he can try is hammering on a 6 or 12 point metric socket. Sometimes that does the trick.

FASTTIMES 11-15-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 3550210)

Yes, asap!

WildThing47 11-15-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 3550091)
I run the racing autolite automotive plugs. But maybe your right im out of my mind. There is no issue with running the plugs. Ive never had a problem what so ever also I agree with griff on all points. Although there is a differance when you do your own work you get down in the bilge and always checking everything evertime the hatch opend just for piece of mind. I enjoy being a bilge rat ask any CT member on the board. Come down to making sure the the salt (if thats what you run in) is washed off completly and doing maintance when do and preventitive maintance.
-Mike

+1 Mike, knows his chit, also a great guy!

TBAG 11-15-2011 03:26 PM

Well since this is a Sparkplug related thread, I'm ready to do a tuneup over the winter on my 454, what wires do you all like the best?