If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercedes E55

My Boats:
    boatless... with money in the bank!!
    just got a 2001 e55... it is FAST... 345 hp.. it is almost as fast as my 94' 911 turbo!(400 hp)... new body coming who cares!... this car is BAD... if you can get one at a decent price 60,000k(8000 mi.) or so get it!...handels like a dream... M5 one year old is still 70k+!... trust me you won't be disapointed... ted

Gold Member Gold Member Rice Hauler's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2001 Cigarette Top Gun Lip Ship Edition

Mercedes Benz E55

Dear F34PC,

Rice Hauler here,

I own a 2000 E55. It is my daily driver and I can tell you it's a great car. I have approx 78,000 miles on it and the car has performed flawlessly.

Someone had mentioned the M5 as an alternative. I have a close friend that has one and it too is a terriffic car. Very Sport oriented. but I always remind him that when we show up at a club together they always park me first.

I also have the ML55 and have had that further modified by Hartmut Feyhl at RennTech. Engine intake and fuel injection upgrade along with Headers and Exhaust work. Good for another 60 hp and 60lbs of torque. They Also dropped the suspension 2.5in and added 19in wheelsStiffer adjustable Koni shocks and heavier duty sway bars. The guys that run my shop for me really like it and It runs great but the build quality is not up to the rest of the MB line.

The AMG line for MB has been a nice addition to the overall line and the strength of it is that 5.5liter engine. The flexible service system works and is amazing at how it calculates the service interval. No more remembering when to service the car.

My only caveat is that my girlfriend usually drives this car When she is not in our SL 600 AMG, and after a week of her driving the "intelligent engine/transmission" relearns her driving style which is best summarized by the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" so for the first100 miles or so all my shifts are off etc.

If you can find one and the service records check out go for it. Where else are you going to get Corvette/Porsche performance and 4 doors.

Hope everything works out for you.

Rice Hauler
    "Lovin' Life and Livin Large"..OffShore

Platinum Member Platinum Member FormulaFan's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Formula 400SS
    Houston-Austin, TX

I agree, the E55 is a great car. If you can get a great deal on the current body style, go for it. The new body style will be hard to get, and go for a premium. I have a new CL500 SPORT and the new technology does take some getting used to. The car shifts and brakes according to what it thinks you would "like" to do, so it takes awhile to learn how to drive the car. The new body style E class looks great, but is it worth the difference in price to you?
    P.S. Rice Hauler, you have too many toys!

My Boats:
    boats boats boats etc.
    Eaton Rapids, Mi , USA
    Hi F34PC, I am a MB tech here in Mich. The E55 is probably one of the more popular cars with the techs in our shop. True it is dated in styling but one nice thing is that all of the bugs are gone in the latest models. I have also learned to never buy the first year matter manufacturer. Later Dwight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12