Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help.. Trailer registration issue (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265806-help-trailer-registration-issue.html)

littledcsrodshop 11-16-2011 04:08 PM

Help.. Trailer registration issue

We have a deal pending on my Dad's 87 272 Formula that he has owned for about 12yrs. and "long story short" TN does Not require tags on trailers and he's never taken the boat out of state so he never bothered getting a tag..

Anyways the state the buyer is from (NJ) requires trailer tags.. Our problem we have is that Eagle (trailer mfg.) puts all the trailer info on a decal near the tounge and ofcourse over a 24yr span of time the decal is all but gone..

Anybody gone through this before and have some good advise ??

JnT 11-16-2011 04:15 PM

In Ga you can register a "home made " trailer and they issue you a VIN plate to attach to the trailer. TN do anything like that?

littledcsrodshop 11-16-2011 04:18 PM

I was woundering the same ? our dmv is ofcourse closed right now so I'm trying to get a jump on it before tomorrow..

DJD 11-16-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JnT (Post 3551240)
In Ga you can register a "home made " trailer and they issue you a VIN plate to attach to the trailer. TN do anything like that?

I've done the same exact thing many times in CT.

I always write "home made kit" in the manufacturer line

45Tripps 11-16-2011 04:19 PM

http://staabagency.com

Easy fix, easy to deal with. Any questions call them. They can hook you up.

wananewboat 11-16-2011 04:27 PM

I had a sled trailer in MA that I never registered and used my universal plate and when I finally did register the trailer I got hit with back sales tax and a fine. I never got a title, only had the cert. of origin.

tman 11-16-2011 04:29 PM

Remove right tail lamp may be a VIN# located there.

littledcsrodshop 11-16-2011 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies !! I pulled both of the tail lights out earlier and didn't find anything there so we'll try giving Eagle a shout tomorrow.. I seen somewhere here that they were either building under another name now or another co. building them or something like that and it had their number listed... I know I had an issue with a simple typo on some paperwork on mine several years back and the crew at Eagle was very helpful..

I will post what I find out & maybe it will help somebody else later on down the road..

littledcsrodshop 11-17-2011 11:28 AM

Just talked to Eagle (HLT) and they were helpful and told me the same on a VIN # possibly being behind the RT. tail lamp.. So I went & pulled both of them out again to doudle check and make sure I didn't miss it.. I also pulled the strip of marker lights off in the middle of the rear (right under the V) and nothing there either..

We are going to talk to the local DMV today and see what they say..

HLT aquired Eagle in 2004 and to the knowledge of the person I spoke with that was the only place they knew of that they put the other VIN #'s at, but does anybody else out there have an older Eagle & may know another spot they may place them ??

If we have to register it as a "home built" ect.. then thats fine and not a big deal in my opinion, but it would be nice to have the original #'s

glenncal1 11-17-2011 01:26 PM

This has worked in Colorado for me you would have to check with NJ.

NJ should have a record that TN does not title trailers. Buyer would go to NJ DMV (or whoever handles trailer registration) with the bill of sale from you. It would be a good idea to use a very formal bill of sale and check with NJ to see if they require the seller's signature to be notarized. NJ would issue a VIN and title listing the trailer as a home made.

I have done this substituting CO for NJ. Call the NJ DMV that who matters not TN.