Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Key West 2011 SCOOTER PARKING TICKETS?! (& Towing) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/265813-key-west-2011-scooter-parking-tickets-towing.html)

Sydwayz 11-16-2011 06:06 PM

Key West 2011 SCOOTER PARKING TICKETS?! (& Towing)

Holy crap! Did they go 'nazi' on this all of a sudden or what?
:bsflag:

I got two in the first day and a half, before I wised up and just left one of tickets on the scooter wherever I parked. :party-smiley-004:

One was for $25 bucks, and the other was $35.

I know others even had their scooters TOWED from the Hogs Breath lot for not paying the $10 scooter parking fee. That was a racket in itself as they towed them 10 miles north, too far to ride back by scooter legally. You had to have them towed (carried) back to town; AFTER the $50 cab ride--AFTER paying the storage fee.

Seriously? I know sales tax and tourism revenue is down all over, but this was a pretty big crock of chit. The scooter rental place I used said they paid over $125,000 in parking tickets in the last 12 months covering for renters that ignored them, and then they charge back their credit cards, plus a processing fee of course!

BRUCE SEROFF 11-16-2011 06:40 PM

i got a ticket a couple years back. paid it and they never deposited the check. go figure

Bullhead 11-16-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3551335)
Holy crap! Did they go 'nazi' on this all of a sudden or what?
:bsflag:

I got two in the first day and a half, before I wised up and just left one of tickets on the scooter wherever I parked. :party-smiley-004:

One was for $25 bucks, and the other was $35.

I know others even had their scooters TOWED from the Hogs Breath lot for not paying the $10 scooter parking fee. That was a racket in itself as they towed them 10 miles north, too far to ride back by scooter legally. You had to have them towed (carried) back to town; AFTER the $50 cab ride--AFTER paying the storage fee.

Seriously? I know sales tax and tourism revenue is down all over, but this was a pretty big crock of chit. The scooter rental place I used said they paid over $125,000 in parking tickets in the last 12 months covering for renters that ignored them, and then they charge back their credit cards, plus a processing fee of course!

Nancy and I both got tickets parked in a spot across from poker run village. We must have parked there dozens of times over the years without getting a ticket. Sh#tty way to treat your main industry.

JasonSmith 11-16-2011 07:35 PM

The police were NOT happy with the boat crowd this year. They had a reason to speak with me & although they were pretty cool they did mention this years crowd was a bunch of a-holes.
I kinda agree with them. It was 10 kinds of different as far as atmosphere went this year. After we had our chat & they understood why from a boater's point of view they agreed that the circumstances sucked & that it did make sense why everyone was acting a bit out of sorts. I know our group was not they way we usually were.

frankenstein 11-16-2011 09:14 PM

I wasn't there this year, but why should it matter if this years crowd are Aholes or not. I know parking is tight down there, but I never got a ticket when I parked in a legal parking space. If you park where it says " no parking ", then guess what, you should get a parking ticket. Just my opinion.

Sydwayz 11-16-2011 09:48 PM

I met a few *******s down there as well. And for whatever reason, they were all on the same brand of boat.

@JasonSmith...
You can't leave us hanging like that! What was the "reason?"

@frankenstein...
I never parked where it said no parking. They have area of 15 feet of moped/scooter parking, adjacent to 15 feet of bicycle parking. If you were 6" on the bicycle spots, you got a ticket. If you were in the bicycle spots, you got a ticket. If you were on the yellow lines that designated it was a special parking section, you got a ticket. Its never been that way.

Key West was at capacity this year, especially Friday and Saturday. This was because of 3000 weddings on Friday, 11/11/11. That adds 6000 people alone, PLUS their wedding parties. Plus, there were 6000 bachelor/bachelorette parties prior to that. I reckon THAT'S where a majority of the *******s came into play. The boat race crowd has always been majority peaceful and respectful. All the rest of the people just fell into a week massive partying and more/worse. I attribute a lot of the race tragedy exposure to this influx of newbs as well. While I hope this crown of newbs will be good for the sport, I think the short term result is that it probably was not.

thisistank 11-16-2011 10:49 PM

Hey Brian...Sorry to hear about your issues with the scooter situation.

On a side note, it was good hanging with you and Pat on Saturday. GREAT looking Active! Always a pleasure brother.

Sydwayz 11-16-2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3551576)
...On a side note, it was good hanging with you and Pat on Saturday. GREAT looking Active! Always a pleasure brother.

No doubt Tank. It was great to see you and Kelly. Sorry that Nor-Tech salesman was giving you such a hard sell! (Just kidding TS!)

glassdave 11-16-2011 11:08 PM

Next time you get a ticket just put it on another scooter :D

Oh and they seem to frown on three people riding on one as well Lol

thisistank 11-17-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3551579)
No doubt Tank. It was great to see you and Kelly. Sorry that Nor-Tech salesman was giving you such a hard sell! (Just kidding TS!)

HA! True!