Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Learning from a boating related tragedy. >

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Notices

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Old 06-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was about 10 we were pulling a tube (the old innertube type) and getting the person on the tube to go in and out of the wake. on a bend in the river the person went out of the wake on his own and hit a fallen tree. I remember my dad saying he did not even want to turn around he was so scared. The person ended up haveing three broken ribs and the only thing that saved him was the life jacket (they had just come out with these then( used to use the old waist ring thing) The tree also kept him above water. That was hot fun bringing him home to his wife and the rest of the party. When I read this this vission came back like a nightmare. Please be careful people. When things go wrong they go wrong fast!!! They don't call them accidents because you KNEW it was going to happen.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Old 06-17-2002, 10:31 AM
wms

That is so tragic. I feel for this man. I remember when I was first learning to slalom ski. My teacher, who was a rather crazy type dude (went on to fly fighter jets), liked for me to pull him close to a bulkhead in the turns so he could spray it. Well one time he hot dogged a little too much and went down into the oyster bed that existed in front of the bulkhead. He was very lucky and got out with some pretty nasty cuts that only required stiches. I think I was more scared than he was cause I knew it could have been much worse. After that incident I was always more observant when pulling someone and never let them get close to any objects like channel markers, shoreline, etc.

You must designate a spotter when pulling people behind the boat so the driver can keep his/her eyes ahead.

The concequences can be tragic!

Old 06-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

Very sad how a fun time can turn into a life-changing event in the blink of an eye. Thanks, Cattitude for the reminder that vigilance is essential when driving a boat.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:57 AM
OutlawBayB

My condolences to both families involved. My prayers are with them.

I'm especially saddened to hear about tragedies involving children. Makes me feel that we don't cherish our children as much as we'd like to in life. Then it's too late. Please everyone, don't take people for granted. You never know what could happen in a second.

They really need to make really really large loud-flags that can be seen from far away so people approaching can be on the lookout.