Key West Safety Concerns; First Hand... >

Key West Safety Concerns; First Hand...

Notices

Key West Safety Concerns; First Hand...

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

PENELTYBOX, thank you for volunteering your time an boat... Hopefully we will never see this type tragedy again during a boating event!! My husband was a racer, my heart breaks thinking about the families and friends of the victims.

Your not the first person to mention the helmets... Not to mention the race wasn't black flagged so that you as a medic boat can get across the course safety - this is racing 101!!

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 11-22-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: my choice
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All,

Thank you very much for the kind words, appreciation, and even some of the private messages. As I said in my original post, it was very difficult to write. While we were in Key West, I was very angry and frustrated by the thought that no one was listening to my concerns. Looking back, I think many people were handling the circumstances in different ways. Maybe it was just too soon to voice concern.

Also, as I stressed in my original post, I firmly believe and trust in the medical personel and their abilities. I just think that the safety procedures are flawed, and need to be closley examined. The diver and the PA on my boat did an amazing job with trying to give Bob the best medical treatment available, and also managed to keep everyone on the boat calm and focused. I remember screaming into the radio, in a very panicked voice. The PA constantly asked us all to calm down, and concentrate on what he needed from us.

As for the helmets; I can not answer those questions. I never saw Bob's helmet, or JT's for that matter. I don't even want to speculate on their significance.

Also, after the accident with Stephen and Joey, I know that the race was stopped. I heard a lot of chatter on the radio, and I am positive that Angel 1 or Angel 2 ordered that the race be stopped.

Finally, I don't want to shed a negative light on the Coast Guard either. Once they realized why we were there, and that we needed help, everyone aboard that Coast Guard cutter was at our boat to help in any way possible. I just don't think that they were aware that the Coast Guard station was going to be a trasnport point for an injured racer.

Again, I am not trying to cause anyone grief, or stir up a plot against SBI. My only concern is that the safety procedures for all future races are re-examined. If I were ever put into the same situation, I would just hope that I am better prepared than what I was during this year's accidents.

Thank you all for reading; I hope some good will come out of the losses from Key West.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What's the helmet secret!?!?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extremely sobering post and very well versed!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

My thanks to Penaltybox for the thoughtful and articulate comments.

As we move forward, I hope that improvements in the system will be the positive reminders from these tragic events.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Penaltybox .... I understand you were directly involved in a tragic situation and I'm sure emotions were running high, but to say "There was no compassion from SBI towards the racers, their families or the other racers in Key West. Their only concern was whether or not they were going to be sued" is a very unfair and inaccurate assumption on your part. "Looking back, I think many people were handling the circumstances in different ways. Maybe it was just too soon to voice concern" makes a lot more sense.
Being stuck in Ohio, I was on the phone with SBI personnel and I can assure you, shock, sadness, and disbelief were their thoughts. I'm sure there will be changes and things learned from these incidents. Hindsight, as everyone knows, is a wonderful thing.

While I appreciate your post and understand your frustration, I think these matters need to be taken up with SBI directly. I'd be happy to forward to you email addresses and phone numbers of SBI personnel, safety administrators and rescue people who can benefit from your experience.

I know that before races with OPA, there are meetings before the race to give instruction to the volunteers and local rescue personnel, on what to do in case of an emergency, crash, sinking boat, hurt racer, or disabled boat on the course, but I would imagine, in such a horrific scenario, some of that probably goes right out the window. I truly hope that the powers that be, learn from these incidents, whether it be different emergency tactics or safer equipment. Hopefully, no one will have to have this experience again.

God bless you for being there in their time of need.....
Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Penaltybox .... I understand you were directly involved in a tragic situation and I'm sure emotions were running high, but to say "There was no compassion from SBI towards the racers, their families or the other racers in Key West. Their only concern was whether or not they were going to be sued" is a very unfair and inaccurate assumption on your part. "Looking back, I think many people were handling the circumstances in different ways. Maybe it was just too soon to voice concern" makes a lot more sense.
Being stuck in Ohio, I was on the phone with SBI personnel and I can assure you, shock, sadness, and disbelief were their thoughts. I'm sure there will be changes and things learned from these incidents. Hindsight, as everyone knows, is a wonderful thing.

While I appreciate your post and understand your frustration, I think these matters need to be taken up with SBI directly. I'd be happy to forward to you email addresses and phone numbers of SBI personnel, safety administrators and rescue people who can benefit from your experience.

I know that before races with OPA, there are meetings before the race to give instruction to the volunteers and local rescue personnel, on what to do in case of an emergency, crash, sinking boat, hurt racer, or disabled boat on the course, but I would imagine, in such a horrific scenario, some of that probably goes right out the window. I truly hope that the powers that be, learn from these incidents, whether it be different emergency tactics or safer equipment. Hopefully, no one will have to have this experience again.

God bless you for being there in their time of need.....
He was on the scene and expressed what happened. Expecting SBI to handle SBI problems is like asking the rooster to watch the hens. This is a perfect forum to discuss problems, problems that need to be brought forth. This is a discusssion forum......right?

What's with the helmets?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
He was on the scene and expressed what happened. Expecting SBI to handle SBI problems is like asking the rooster to watch the hens. This is a perfect forum to discuss problems, problems that need to be brought forth. This is a discusssion forum......right?

What's with the helmets?
I absolutely whole-heartedly agree with you on these points. Transparency in this instance may very well save SBI. Those that are interested in racing in the future will appreciate knowing that the problems were discovered, brought into the open, discussed and changes made to prevent further issues.

I applaud the OP for posting his thoughts an FIRST HAND information of how things really happened. I witnessed the medic boat pass in front of the two cats and their ensuing confusion as to where to go next.

God Bless the families of the fallen..
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Penaltybox,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for volunteering your time, expense, and your boat to be out there and look out for us. Every association needs to review the events that transpired in KW as I dont care where you race, there are always improvements to be made. While you have emphasized the good and the bad of the situation and some people seem to only focus on the bad, hopefully a)we are never faced with any sort of the travesty experienced during the worlds ever again b) the lessons learned will be implemented with the change and if worse case scenario happens again, it proceeds as smoothly as possible

Although you are beside yourself at this time, I will remind you of a positive. You had your boat as Med2 on turn 2 when I decided to go for a swim in turn 1. You calmly turned to the divers and told them to fully strap up and be ready for the assist call if needed and on top of the whole mess, you had my girlfriend on board, who has a tendency of flipping out and you kept her calm. Upon completion of the race, you immediately got clearance to run her back in to come and be with us, hell you had her in before I was able to get in. You my friend have my respect and I'll have a champagne spray battle with you anytime!

Whatever you need give us a call!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
My point was that while we can discuss them here, WE dont get to make the changes. I know this is shocking for you Nort, but not everybody logs on and reads OSO As I said, I think those that make the decisions could benefit from what he remembers of the experience. I dont think anybody thinks that the system is perfect and couldnt use some tweaking. I'd just like to make sure the right people get the information.... the coast quard, SBI, local emergency crews.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.