Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101? >

Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101?

Notices

Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of high performance boating. If you take the time to learn how to use your high performance boat, it will reward you in many ways. If you don’t respect the power, it will hurt you and possibly others. So as has already been suggested, check out the Tres Martin school. It’s worth every penny if you’re really serious.

As far as what I’d suggest after 50 years on the water – much of it driving high performance boats – start out slow and work your way up. You’re going to find that a high performance boat like yours does everything your old boat would do and more. For instance, you’ll still have to trim the drives in to get it up on plane and then you can trim them out for more speed. How much do you trim them out? Well, you’ll find your new boat much more sensitive to trim and to a point, you can do it by feel. But, indicators will give you a better idea where you are. Still, final adjustments are done by feel after gaining experience. Just don’t get too greedy with trim too fast. And don’t worry about top speed for a while. That comes with experience.

Then there’s trim tabs. You may or may not need to drop them down to get up on plane. Regardless, these are a life saver in rough water or big swells because they can “trip” the bow back down after a wave forces it up. How much tab do you need? This is another one that only seat time will teach you. I can tell you that too little or too much tab in big water will hurt you – in very different ways. Experiment at moderate speeds before you go crazy here.

Another big thing you’re going to have to learn is maneuvering with twin engines. Don’t let it scare you because you can make a boat with twins do things around a dock that you could never dream of with a single. (That includes bad things.) When I teach somebody how to dock with twins, I always tell them to remember that “the boat goes where your shoulders go when you twist the sticks.” For instance, starboard engine in forward with the port engine in reverse means you’re shoulders are twisted to the left. That’s which way the boat will pivot.

And finally, consider wearing a PFD and a kill switch lanyard any time you’re on plane. Some people refuse to do this and / or forget. I consider this stuff to be mandatory – especially when going fast or in rough water. And do I need to mention that booze and fast boats just don’t mix?

Remember, wisdom comes from experience and experience comes from making mistakes. I just happened to learn from some wise folks as well as making some mistakes I learned from because I was lucky enough to walk away. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Capt'n.

Yep look into the Tres Martin thing. Too Stroked has some good info there as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Hey everyone,

Just bought a 32' Sunsation Dominator MCOB with twin small blocks on Thanksgiving. Lots to be thankful for I suppose! I am moving from a 22' Monterey open bow with a 5.7.

So, what do I need to know about this boat before it's an expensive mistake? Share me some gems of knowledge that I may not know from having a smaller single engine boat. I already know the basic boat owner stuff, but this is definitely a different animal.

I am excited for a spin next weekend!
The most important thing to know is....Have fun.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
No fast sharp turns if you have steps !
Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Definitely not a move I want to perform myself The owner did it a few times and it felt very controlled. It was impressive, definitely a credit to the hull Sunsation makes.
Your Dominator is not a step bottom boat...
Sunsation at the time did a cut out on each side and called it Vortek bottom..basically they are there just for looks..your boat is a straight V hull....thats why the guy trimed down during a turn..

enjoy and be safe..

Last edited by boatnt; 11-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Your Dominator is not a step bottom boat...
Sunsation at the time did a cut out on each side and called it Vortek bottom..basically they are there just for looks..your boat is a straight V hull....thats why the guy trimed down during a turn..

enjoy and be safe..
+1

Now post some pics. Congrats
Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Congratz!!! Enjoy & B safe!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciated. Here are the first pics I snapped of it:

http://www.austinboatforums.com/cgi-...1322490169/0#0

None in the water yet since I just got it...and don't own a truck, so I'm at the mercy of friends with trucks or until I put it in a slip this spring.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharp looking boat. I bet you will really enjoy it. See you out there next year. That is if I will be able to get my boat back on the lake next March.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should it run with the small blocks?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low 70s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.