Notices

Registration display

Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The guys on my lake that have doc boats have also reg them with the state just to get the state numbers. The CO's on our lake eye ball every boat. They idle in front of all the tie ups looking for numbers and stickers. No numbers usually get you questioned. Sometimes you just don't want to draw attention to you. If you have no worries about being stopped, then it's not a issue.
I think it is against the law to have both state numbers and be documented. I got pulled over on that lake the first time I put in there but that was the only time. I have the yearly state sticker but no numbers.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about the legality of it.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a run in with a nasty water cop down in cape cod massachusetts over the summer. He wanted to seize the boat/and or place me under arrest.
I had no numbers on the boat, but i did have the red sticker on the side. I had the registration card onboard the boat also, which I showed him.
I dont know why he had to get so nasty. Never taking a boat to that place ever again....
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Connecticut you have to be registered weather you are documented or not. How else are they going to collect revenue if they do not know you exist
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
get it coast guard documented, then no need to run numbers... just the yearly sticker on either side of the cowl.
that's what I did for years until I got harrassed so many times that it just made sense to put on the numbers and let the local poo-poo look for others to stop and question.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

+2 Im with Offshoredrillin------ Have not run numbers for over thirty years and never had a problem with the coasties---May take a little time to get documented but its worth it.. Looks a lot better without numbers.

Jim
Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
Here in Connecticut you have to be registered weather you are documented or not. How else are they going to collect revenue if they do not know you exist
If you're CG documented in CT you do not need to have numbers on the outside of your boat.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I got a written warning a few yrs. ago for non-block font letters in MD.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,287 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I think it is against the law to have both state numbers and be documented. I got pulled over on that lake the first time I put in there but that was the only time. I have the yearly state sticker but no numbers.
When I CG documented my boat I researched this.

In Indiana if you are CG doc, you do not have to display the numbers, but still be registered and have them somewhere on the boat. I put them in the engine compartment.

Ran that way for 2 years then when we were getting our CG "inspection" sticker one year the officer didn't know the rule. I put them on, like US1 said I just didn't want a reason to be pulled over.

BTW

Never did get pulled over, with or without.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

These numbers are definitely not in compliance, in fact they are almost impossible to read . However they have passed numerous CG checks and I haven't had any problems with them. So I say go for it and if you get harassed for them then change it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.