Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101? >

Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101?

Notices

Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Got first go fast boat, go fast boat 101?

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 32' Sunsation Dominator MCOB with twin small blocks on Thanksgiving. Lots to be thankful for I suppose! I am moving from a 22' Monterey open bow with a 5.7.

So, what do I need to know about this boat before it's an expensive mistake? Share me some gems of knowledge that I may not know from having a smaller single engine boat. I already know the basic boat owner stuff, but this is definitely a different animal.

I am excited for a spin next weekend!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Friends have a 32 closed deck. Beautiful boats. There is a youtube video somewhere of a guy hooking one after getting caught up in a boat wake. Could happen in about any boat but something a new boat owner might want to see.

Congrats on the new boat.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Yarr, get in touch w/ Jim Speros. He is a wealth of knowledge and can steer you in the right direction. From running the boat to maintenance. Right here in Jonestown. Congrats on your new ride!

www.mobilemercman.com
Old 11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

No fast sharp turns if you have steps !
Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
No fast sharp turns if you have steps !
That's one thing that actually shocked me. The owner was cruising at WOT towards the end of the lake (Sandy Creek Marina), we were probably doing close to 70 and running out of space fast. I was kinda getting concerned, then he put the drives down, slowed down to maybe 40 or 50 and whipped a hard 180. I never knew a boat could corner that hard. Doing the same move in my Monterey at 30 would be a disaster.

I had a blast!

I looked back at my buddy in the seats behind us, he was white as a ghost. Said his life flashed before his eyes, LOL. I was impressed the boat was that smooth, controlled and well mannered while pulling a move that sharp.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
That's one thing that actually shocked me. The owner was cruising at WOT towards the end of the lake (Sandy Creek Marina), we were probably doing close to 70 and running out of space fast. I was kinda getting concerned, then he put the drives down, slowed down to maybe 40 or 50 and whipped a hard 180. I never knew a boat could corner that hard. Doing the same move in my Monterey at 30 would be a disaster.

I had a blast!

I looked back at my buddy in the seats behind us, he was white as a ghost. Said his life flashed before his eyes, LOL. I was impressed the boat was that smooth, controlled and well mannered while pulling a move that sharp.
You are lucky! Tucking the drives before a turn is how you spinout in a step bottom boat. You keep the drives trimmed out to keep the transom planted in the water.

There are several threads like this one in years past. The search function works great. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered

I looked back at my buddy in the seats behind us, he was white as a ghost. Said his life flashed before his eyes

I'd recommend reading this short thread, post #12 is a wakeup call.

Sydwayz is correct on the drives, providing you have a stepped hull.

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you to wear your LIFE vest and KILL tether please. (even if you're not turning sharp having a blast)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post2235107
Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Registered

Congrats!! I am sure, as you know, this thread is useless without pics Just kidding. As far as getting to know your boat, I would do just that, get to know her. When I buy something new (especially performance oriented) I always take it slow and steady and slightly increase the fun until I am sure I know how it reacts. Hasnt steered me wrong yet. Enjoy your new ride man and take care!!

Last edited by Jay Gadsby; 11-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42

I'd recommend reading this short thread, post #12 is a wakeup call.

Sydwayz is correct on the drives, providing you have a stepped hull.

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you to wear your LIFE vest and KILL tether please. (even if you're not turning sharp having a blast)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post2235107
Definitely not a move I want to perform myself The owner did it a few times and it felt very controlled. It was impressive, definitely a credit to the hull Sunsation makes.

I'm a Viper owner and I imagine it is a very similar concept. The Viper will murder you in a heart beat if you don't give it the proper amount of respect. Give it time, learn it, and it is a very capable fun machine that won't kill you.

That thread is very scary, but let's not turn this thread in to a "don't turn fast thread." I got it, not my plan. I am impressed by the performance of the boat, but I want to know more about it other than it's not a jet ski.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kinda getting concerned, then he put the drives down, slowed down to maybe 40 or 50 and whipped a hard 180. I never knew a boat could corner that hard. Doing the same move in my Monterey at 30 would be a disaster.
I was impressed the boat was that smooth, controlled and well mannered while pulling a move that sharp.

If you are really serious about safe, comfortable, long term performance boating, call me. We have done a lot of Sunsations. 32,36, and 43's

Brad 954 560 9080

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.