Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hering Prop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/266923-hering-prop.html)

Tantrum 12-09-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 28skater (Post 3567176)
Anyone do any testing on an outbaord skater- merc lab prop vs. a herring? And if so any difference in speed/ handling?

Brett Anderson @ BBlades is who Id recommend to talk to about props for an outboard cat....he got the best results for my AMT. Service is excellent which makes it a pleasure doing business with him.

We've been using Herring on the MTI and have had very good experiences with them as well.

goebel1 12-09-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tantrum (Post 3567523)
Brett Anderson @ BBlades is who Id recommend to talk to about props for an outboard cat....he got the best results for my AMT. Service is excellent which makes it a pleasure doing business with him.

We've been using Herring on the MTI and have had very good experiences with them as well.

I would talk with Jeff at Hering 360-659-4315

Tantrum 12-09-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by goebel1 (Post 3567568)
I would talk with Jeff at Hering 360-659-4315

Agreed...my bad
We are running all Herring now, excellent performance, great service....

Best of luck with your prop she's a beut......since you cant run it till spring maybe consider putting it on top of the Christmas tree, would make one bad azz shiny star.

goebel1 12-09-2011 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tantrum (Post 3567643)
Agreed...my bad
We are running all Herring now, excellent performance, great service....

Best of luck with your prop she's a beut......since you cant run it till spring maybe consider putting it on top of the Christmas tree, would make one bad azz shiny star.

umm wonder if I can get away with that

Dean Ferry 12-09-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by goebel1 (Post 3567659)
umm wonder if I can get away with that

Looks great!:drink:

Tantrum 12-09-2011 11:59 AM

Oh yeah...looks awesome :drink:

drejustice 12-09-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 28skater (Post 3567176)
Anyone do any testing on an outbaord skater- merc lab prop vs. a herring? And if so any difference in speed/ handling?

I did some a bit of testing for our twin o/bo 30ft dcb. My performance and top end number are obviously going to be a bit different as it's an open deckboat but there are similarities.

We tested a bunch of props from merc and hering when we first went to water test our boat.

Mercs were all ok, just about 10 mph slower than what we ended up with.

We tested the 5 blade hering cleaver which significantly improved mid-range and acceleration but as speeds got over 75 the stern was way loose and the boat felt unsafe as we got to top speed. Wish these had worked because we picked up 5 mph in the mid-range cruise though top end was about the same or slightly less than the 4 blades.

We ended up with the 4 blade hering cleavers. Top end 94 mph.

This past summer I did pick up a pair of the Merc's newer labbed bravo 1 xs props that we use for more everyday use. with the wider and vented hub we reduced cavitation and improved our time to plane by HALF, but did lose about 4-5 mph on the top end.

The top end loose is acceptable to me for the time and ease to plane with my usual full weekend loads of the dogs, people, gear, food, and beverages and as I won't run it WOT with dogs on board it's not a big issue.

For pokeruns like JOTJ, I put the herings back on.