Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International >

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Notices

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Just one question for all of you that are outraged.... How many of you could hold your breath for 3.5 minutes? 4 minutes? 5 minutes? 6 minutes?

I've got no dog in this fight, but just ranting on without knowing ALL of the facts could make some of you feel foolish later. There are a few interesting points made in the article. Go back and read it again. I've been involved in the hosting of enough races to not be blaming the lawyers just yet if what I have heard that went on is true. Wait for the FACTS.

Now, flame away if that'll make you feel better.

.....and rest in peace Mr. Gratton
Well said! Maybe something good will come of it and new safety / rules established to save a life one day. I read the post with the tow boat captain and he made a lot of interesting comments about what could have been done different with both tragedies. No matter what anyone thinks, the pain of losing of family member never seems to go away!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

I dont have a dog in the fight either but I do know that with all the teams I raced with we always had our own chopper and medics on the course at all times. we sure did not do that just so we could spend more money.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered

I don't understand everyones attitude..........after all the reading I have done for the past few weeks, it seems that safety is an after thought in offshore races. I have raced motocross my entire life, made a living at it, and I can tell you, even at the smallest races NOBODY could ride until an ambulance was on scene. From what I read last week, boats were racing in KW with no medical on sight.

I guess the point is, maybe this needs to happen so promoters in offshore will get a wake up call.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just one question for all of you that are outraged.... How many of you could hold your breath for 3.5 minutes? 4 minutes? 5 minutes? 6 minutes?

I've got no dog in this fight, but just ranting on without knowing ALL of the facts could make some of you feel foolish later. There are a few interesting points made in the article. Go back and read it again. I've been involved in the hosting of enough races to not be blaming the lawyers just yet if what I have heard that went on is true. Wait for the FACTS.

Now, flame away if that'll make you feel better.

.....and rest in peace Mr. Gratton
Very well said!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mreedy
Trying not to point fingers and state this toward any of the 3 that passed, but I have to say this quote pisses me off.

"and there was no reason whatsoever for him to drown"

I am the type of guy that trys very hard to cover my own asz and wants to take complete responsibility of my actions. now you look at these million dollar boats, teams, & drivers who knows the high risk every time they strap in and race. with all the money why wouldnt they have an SCBA right next to them? You can get a 10 min SCBA for about $500. I truly applaud any race team that does but for anyone that does not I would let 100% neglagence fall on their shoulders! Rules or no rules.
Again I do not know the circumstances in which the recent losses occured, just feelings on community in general!
I agree Mark. The only thing that I can think of is if Joey was knocked unconscious he couldn't use the SCBA air. Truly a sad accident and situation all around.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=OldSchool;3567884]Just one question for all of you that are outraged.... How many of you could hold your breath for 3.5 minutes? 4 minutes? 5 minutes? 6 minutes?

What racer would assume that no matter where in the course and what the circustances of the crash are, you can be rescued within a certain time frame?

This will be settled and the lawyer will make enough to buy a real nice boat, hopefully he will sleep well.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

in reading these posts,i see 2 different sides or views about the law suit.i am not a big fan of lawyers,but i must say,safety was not a top priority at the key west race,anyone who thinks that is acceptable needs to rethink it.will sbi change the way they look at safety,THEY WILL NOW,this law suit will bring out all the facts,and things will change.its sad that something like this has to happen for change to happen.if in fact joey,s death was a direct result of substandard safety,and if 1 life is saved because of this law suit,maybe it is a good thing.just my 02 on this,ws are all entitled to think the way we like.may the 3 great racers rest in peace,and never be forgotten.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=Pete280;3568049]

What racer would assume that no matter where in the course and what the circustances of the crash are, you can be rescued within a certain time frame?

This will be settled and the lawyer will make enough to buy a real nice boat, hopefully he will sleep well.
every racer wants safety to quickly get to a crash victom,and follow the standard operating procedures in the event of a crash,after all,isen,t that what safery&rescue is all about?as far as the lawyer making enough money to buy a real nice boat,is he suppost to work for free,i know i dont,and i bet you dont either.just sayin.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mreedy
Trying not to point fingers and state this toward any of the 3 that passed, but I have to say this quote pisses me off.

"and there was no reason whatsoever for him to drown"

I am the type of guy that trys very hard to cover my own asz and wants to take complete responsibility of my actions. now you look at these million dollar boats, teams, & drivers who knows the high risk every time they strap in and race. with all the money why wouldnt they have an SCBA right next to them? You can get a 10 min SCBA for about $500. I truly applaud any race team that does but for anyone that does not I would let 100% neglagence fall on their shoulders! Rules or no rules.
Again I do not know the circumstances in which the recent losses occured, just feelings on community in general!
Some good points here. Can't stop thinking about Key West. A real tough way to end 2011, but have to agree that not much good can come of this for the sport no matter who is right or wrong.
Fact is...RACING IS A RISK!!! That is what is so exciting about it. That is why we all love it and why these guys are our heros. Safety, no safety, not enough safety, this guy, that guy, BULLS!!TT!! You can be as safe as you want and accidents still happen. It is up to the INDIVIDUAL to learn as much as they can and protect themelves as best as they can if getting involved. We need to quit blaming everybody else (I believe someone else said this too).
Everyone has a choice race or don't race. If I thought that day the circumstances were not safe...boat on the trailer.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is sweet. Once the Cardshark thread dies down, we are assured of at least 4 years drama in a new thread with no actual questions answered. Carry on, Garth!

Maybe IB hired Allweissas back-up for the eventual end of Cardshark thread.

Last edited by LaughingCat; 12-09-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Why not hit the home run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.