Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone having FORD PSD chip problems??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26711-anyone-having-ford-psd-chip-problems.html)

euby 06-17-2002 12:54 PM

I've heard of issues with the 80hp diablo chip....I believe they quit selling the "extreme" chips due to tranny issues. I would flush tranny, put in a new filter and put some Amsoil fluid in it....and see if they will exchange you for the 40hp chip. Believe it or not if you dyno the two chips you will find there is only about 7hp difference(dispite what they tell you)

Semper Fi 06-18-2002 01:00 AM

I do have the 80HP chip, they will still make you a 135HP (or something like it) if you want it---but the don't recommend it. I just found out today that the last guy who rebuilt my tranny will cover 100% of the damage!!! That's great! But I'm still alittle weary of putting the chip back in the truck. The truck actually feels sooooooo sloooow without the chip now. I spoke to a rep from Diablo and they seemed really concerned about my torque converters keep blowing, we'll see if they do anything about it. I'm just happy I don't have to shell out any more dough :D

By the way--I was told not to waste my $$ on Amsoil or any synthetic, but I really don't know what to think??? I just have it changed every 12k miles.

Fever500 06-18-2002 08:30 AM

The tranny is the weak link on PSD's. Pulling a lot of weight (42 Tiger) with an 80hp chip is just asking for tranny problems.

I would lose the Diablo and look into the WD Tri Power and contact this guy Brian's Truck Shop for your tranny problems.

I agree .. its hard to go back to stock once you've had 80+ more HP and 120lbs of torque added!!

euby 06-18-2002 09:20 AM

I agree with fever500....call Brian! He will bulletproof that tranny for a real resonable price and you won't find better service:cool:

Amsoil cooled my tranny down 30 degrees from where I would normally run while I was pulling the boat. I was skeptical at first.....but proof is in the running temps. Its some pricey stuff though!

Semper Fi 06-18-2002 12:23 PM

Fever 500 and Euby,

Thanks for the info, I will contact Brians truck shop, next time I'm out that way. I recently drove a friend's (HavasuCat) new 2002 PSD and it feels alot (the tranny) better than my '99 does. I guess they improved it quite a bit, but not enough. With the Amsoil, how long can you go untiil you have to change the fluid?? What does it cost to use the amsoil? I have the fluid changed every 12k or so.

turbo2256 06-18-2002 01:01 PM

Anybody run any of Hypermax stuff... any problems... I am told they do the engine testing for Navistar for production engines.

euby 06-18-2002 04:16 PM

Re: Fever 500 and Euby,

Originally posted by Semper Fi
With the Amsoil, how long can you go untiil you have to change the fluid?? What does it cost to use the amsoil? I have the fluid changed every 12k or so.
Semper Fi,
I go (usually) 30,000 miles between changes. When I did my last change at 30,000 the amsoil fluid looked and smelled like brand new....I wouldn't hesitate to go 40k. Amsoil is pricey stuff....seems like I paid around $6.70 a quart so just the fluids would be around $100...but the price is alot cheaper than a tranny:D

oh yea...Amsoil is the only fluid that gaurantee's that if tranny failure is caused by burnt or contaiminated fluids THEY will fix or replace your tranny!

euby 06-18-2002 04:18 PM

and no I don't work for... or retail Amsoil. So step off mister:D

Semper Fi 06-19-2002 01:39 AM

Euby,
Thanks for the info. I might try Amsoil.

euby 06-19-2002 10:26 AM

oh yea..... i forgot hollywood marine......Semper Fi. Sometimes I miss being a jarhead...especially now with whats going on.

Good Luck:)