Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's happening with used performance boats? >

What's happening with used performance boats?

Notices

What's happening with used performance boats?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's happening with used performance boats?

When I first began hanging out here 3 or 4 years ago (trying to educate myself as best I could about performance boats) there was, on any given month, 1100+ boats for sale in the classifieds of this website. And this has been pretty consistent although there were times that it might have dropped to 900 or so. But in the past 8 months there's been this steady decline to today's number of around 680.

Are folks advertising some place else? Are owners just hanging on to their boats? I'm sure it's a given that this economy is affecting this one way or another.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I notice that last night. The economy supposedly stinks but a lot of boats are gone. Weather or not they sold or people removed them is the question... Personally, I think they sold.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Way fewer boats are changing hands, since new boat sales are minimal at best. Most people are stretching the life of their existing boats, others have had to postpone their plans to move up, and those that needed to bail out of a boat they could not afford have done so.

I, however, am willing to consider any extravagant offers on either of my boats....
Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my thought was alot of the cases,,,,,,,if the value is below the loan amount,,,, why list it

either stuck with it for now, or it gets repoed
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Times have changed, i would like to sell my Formula 400SS. I had it listed for about 6 months last year
Even though i had a couple people that were interested they could not get financing. So i just gave up and decided to keep it. Sure if i drop the price enough it will sell but in this market who knows what price you have to go down to in order to sell.

The hoops that i had to go thru to purchase my Cigarette last month was amazing. I have bought houses in the past that were less hassle than this loan was.
But on the good side i got the Cig for a great price so i'm happy and nothing wrong with having a Cruiser and a performance boat
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fewer boats are changing hands and I beleive its three basic things.

1. People want to much for their boats and just dont sell so they keep them.

2. People arent looking to buy new boats because of the economy thus you dont see more for sale.

3. People would like to sell their boat but know they cant because they owe to much and would lose their ace in a sale, or simply would lose their ace because boats are not commanding the money they used to.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Times have changed, i would like to sell my Formula 400SS. I had it listed for about 6 months last year
Even though i had a couple people that were interested they could not get financing. So i just gave up and decided to keep it. Sure if i drop the price enough it will sell but in this market who knows what price you have to go down to in order to sell.

The hoops that i had to go thru to purchase my Cigarette last month was amazing. I have bought houses in the past that were less hassle than this loan was.
But on the good side i got the Cig for a great price so i'm happy and nothing wrong with having a Cruiser and a performance boat
boats like these are probably some of the highest risk due to the fact that they cost a lot of money and if the bank gets them back they arent going to have an easy time getting rid of them. Also these boats all to often are beat and you find listed on repo auctions with missing engines, drives, interior parts etc.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

While most of the theories are possible. Does OSO have data from when the posts come down? I thought they were "post till sale" ads. Over the last 3-4 months I think the used boat and repo boat market is going crazy. There are a lot of great deals out there and I think a lot are selling.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Way fewer boats are changing hands, since new boat sales are minimal at best. Most people are stretching the life of their existing boats, others have had to postpone their plans to move up, and those that needed to bail out of a boat they could not afford have done so.

I, however, am willing to consider any extravagant offers on either of my boats....

Some folks don't sell them in a crappy market, but redo their boats completely so it is BETTER than a factory new boat.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.