Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Learning from a boating related tragedy. >

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Notices

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Hi guys, sorry to dampen spirits on a Friday but i just returned from a b-trip and learned that one of my friends was involved in an accident last sunday. I'm sharing this story in the hopes that it may help our members to avoid similar tragedy.

Late (light but uncrowded) sunday on Beaver lake my buddy and his wife were out in their 27' Mariah with another couple and three children ages 9-15 belonging to the visiting couple. The 3 kids were on a tube, my buddy was driving. The driver apparently let his attention drift, either to the 3 adults or watching the fun the kids were having.

Last minute, he realized he was heading for the rocky shoreline, instinctively he cut hard to avoid a boat/shoreline collision. While the boat missed, the tube was swung into the shoreline with 3 kids aboard. The fifteen yr old died, one badly injurred and one bruised some. Obviously a terrible tragedy.

My friend was tested as part of procedure- he had a BAC of .008% which is barely on the map, well below limits etc. He had admitted to consumption earlier in the day but practiced moderation. He is not new to boating, and is a very hands on conscientious guy. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, just trying to illustrate that something of this magnitude occured under circumstances where you would not expect it. The state is charging him with various boating and negligence misdemeanors.

Please pray for these families and learn from this in your own boating safety practices.

Last edited by Cattitude; 06-14-2002 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

That is terrible. I know the law couldn't do anything worse to him than he is doing to himself. My sympathy to all involved.
It shows my premise that on the water, things can go very bad, very quickly.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Old 06-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my kids on the tube this weekend. Scary....

Sorry for their loss
Old 06-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Unhappy

My heart goes out to both of these families. We have 2 small children, and I can't imagine losing either of them. Unfortunately, this accident demonstrates something I have always felt to be true. Just don't drink if you are going to drive the boat...EVER! While the BAC was definitely off the map and most likely not a factor in this accident, it showed up and now causes questions to arise. What a bummer. Like Cuda said, there is nothing the law can do to him that could make him feel worse. I always tell my husband that it isn't worth the risk....If you have had a drink or two and are involved in an accident that isn't even your fault (ie: a pwc turns into your boat etc.), who do you think they are going to point the finger at first? Especially if you are driving a big expensive offshore boat! We have a bad rep, and I for one think it should be cleaned up. Why can't we just party on the dock, then if I fall in because I am inebriated, then it's my own fault.

Ok, remove the soapbox. Again, my sympathies to both of the families. They are going to need a lot of prayers.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that a drink or two before an accident would look bad. I would even argue that it was a factor. But 0.008 is nothing... We've talking cough syrup dosage here. Alcohol was not a factor in this case, just a terrible accident.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:31 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

How terrible!!! They'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

It lets you know thhat speed is not the only thing that kills on the water. Have fun, but be careful!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Registered

Frequency,

Sorry if I was misunderstood I definitely agree with you...This was just a terrible accident. Just wish alcohol wasn't even mentioned.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:42 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

What a Tragedy

Quick Reply: Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.