Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone gone from Miami to Puerto Rico on one of these boats? >

Has anyone gone from Miami to Puerto Rico on one of these boats?

Notices

Has anyone gone from Miami to Puerto Rico on one of these boats?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats not a trip I would attempt in such a small boat. Someone died in august from a rogue wave in a 70' boat during a routine St. Maarten to Tortola run, which is relatively easy. Imagine a run in unprotected waters.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 365 Likes on 244 Posts

what's a rogue wave?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If Bob told me not to do it, I wouldn't do it. In all seriousness you would be better off in a 30' center console with a couple outboards and a selfbailing hull then a 30' baja.

Another good thread to read is the world record attempt that the Statement team just attempted in their new Center Console.

Regardless of the forecast a storm can come out of no where and with several 100+ mile open water passages it's just not a good idea.

The idea is to have fun and enjoy your new boat, not to become a statistic!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically in the past, the Florida Power boat Club wont allow anything smaller than a 35 to do any ocean crossings on their runs to the bahamas. Good call. Weather conditions can change drastically on the open waters, and the issues with fuel, the chances are too great for a problem.

Save your money on fuel, your boat, and possibly your life, and have it shipped over. Then play all you want once there.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Danielson
Hi all,

Last night, when you guys mentioned that Bob The Builder had done long range trips, I found his Key West to Cancun World Record thread here and read it from post #1 to the end. It was awesome to be able to read it, and follow it like if it was happening today. Thanks Raylar for pointing me to that!

Thanks Jayboat for letting me know about the trip from FFL to BVI with Bob last year! I was able to read that thread as well, and it was almost like going on the adventure with you guys. Thanks so much for documenting the trips in such detail. It was like reading the best book I have read in my life.

From reading about your experiences, I can tell that this trip is a serious undertaking that takes a lot of courage and experience to be able to get to the destination. I can also see all the good times you had during the trip and that's a mayor part of making me want to take this journey. I would like to see all those beautiful islands a long the way.

Bob / Jayboat - Thanks for pointing out that the size of boat issue! It has made me think twice about doing the trip on this boat. I'm assuming that since the nose/length of the boat is smaller, in bad weather more water will come into the cockpit by the crashing waves. Also, since a 50 footer is probably heavier it could stay more hooked up to the sea while going over waves and the 30 footer could be more out of the water more often. Not to mention the greatly improved fuel range of the bigger boat. Are my assumptions correct? I've never been on a Powerboat before, so these are my best guesses.

Bob - Thanks for taking the time to respond and inform me about the major obstacles on my way in a such a trip. Your experience and knowledge are invaluable! As I mentioned above, I read both the Key West to Cancun World Record thread and FLL to BVI from start to finish! I enjoyed reading them and looking at all the wonderful pictures that you guys took during the trip.

The Baja 30 outlaw doesn't have half the range of your awesome 50 foot Nor Tech boat. The Predator is a dream boat and I'm really glad you can enjoy it as much as you do! Assuming that I have the perfect weather window, I will still need to do more fuel stops along the way. Could I refuel at Cockburn Town (Turk and Caicos capital) and head south to DR from there? The jump directly from Provo to DR could only be done in this boat with perfect 1-2 foot seas and is pushing it very close.

Thanks everyone who responded for sharing your tips and experience with me.
I appreciate you taking the time and will be taking them all into consideration.

Even though this was my first post, I can tell that this forum is full of great people!

Will keep you posted if I get to purchase the boat and decide to take the trip.

Shipping it to Puerto Rico doesn't sound like a bad option either as Bob and Jay suggested and is probably the better decision.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays to all!

Daniel
Glad you enjoyed reading thru the Cancun and FLL - BVI threads Daniel. Here is another one that you may enjoy when we went "down island" to The Greenadines and back up to BVI to do the poker run earlier this year.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ay-2011-a.html

You had a question related to boat length and handling in the seas. For sure the more length and weight you have the better the boat will behave when you get into heavy seas. Many years ago I have was caught in 15' seas in a 33' boat and when you are in the bottom of the trough surrounded by walls of water can be very intimidating not to mention getting tossed as a wave would crest under the keel. That's when mechanical stuff and bones get broken. So yes, bigger the better to stay in the water.

Where in PR are you located? I have met great people in Ponce, Fajardo and San Juan. I hope we get to meet when you complete your purchase. I will be back in the Islands with Team PREDATOR periodically from mid Feb until June 1st this year. Let me know.

Bob
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
What you going to do if you break down? I'd suggest a Nordhavn.

http://www.nordhavn.com/
The Nordhavn would be perfect, they are one helluva a world travel boat.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

You might have to pay an import or excise tax on your boat once you get it to Puerto Rico. If so, make sure the amount is in your budget (I think it was around 18%). I shipped a boat from Puerto Rico and my comment is based on the research that I did at that time. In fact, you had to pay the tax even if you were not going to permanently reside in PR. You would get a refund once you moved your boat out of the area. I also remember that they were debating changing the tax law at that time (several years ago). At least take some time to research this so you aren't surprised.

Andy

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 12-15-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
what's a rogue wave?
When you have a constant wave pattern and a huge one comes out from no where. For example....traveling in 1 - 2 ft waves and out of nowhere there is a 12 footer that you didn't see coming.

Last edited by turbo rr; 12-15-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second/third the concern regarding the size of boat Danielson is talking about using. That's just too small for such a serious trip. Open ocean for hundreds of miles with erratic weather & sea conditions, don't bode well for the type of boat & size being discussed.

Bob & his crew would be some of the few seasoned experts on this, & I'd take their experience & advice word by word before attempting this type of trip. .
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in PR are you located? I have met great people in Ponce, Fajardo and San Juan. I hope we get to meet when you complete your purchase. I will be back in the Islands with Team PREDATOR periodically from mid Feb until June 1st this year. Let me know.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I currently reside in New York. My plan is to move to Puerto Rico within the next year. Hope to see you soon during one of your adventures when I get to move down there.

- Daniel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.