Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is powerboating worth it? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26718-powerboating-worth.html)

32fever 06-16-2002 10:29 PM

Is powerboating worth it?

It's been a fairly poor year so far for chances to go boating. I've been considering getting out of the hobby for something else.

It seems as though it's very expensive (like, duh) for the "Value" we get. While we don't own a new $300k boat, it still is a point to ponder.

I put 40 hours or so on our boat each year. My wife likes to boat, but we don't get out a lot. And, in Lake MI, I don't want a smaller boat, we had a 27' boat and now a 32' (arguably to Fountain bashers). I notice a huge difference and would not want to go smaller. Dont' want to move to FL before someone suggests that.

Just wondering what keeps everyone in this. Between weather being crappy and some family gathering crap on summer weekends (NOT my family, they have their own hobbies and don't bother us, but my wife's family has nothing better to do with their time than f it up for everyone else), and house "chores" and maintenance, we don't get much time out on the boat.

I often find myself looking at boats for sale, seeing what's out there and would like a bigger/faster boat in my mind, but I KNOW that would not be worth the money. More or less, just trying to keep up with what's new/neat in the marketplace.

With the wife also wanting to start our own family, how much use will we get then? I know, you CAN take out a young'n, but not much the first few months. So, quite possibly a wasted summer, (which is only about 40 hours of boating.)

I know I'd miss having the boat, I think, but is it all worth it? If so, what makes it all worth it? As we all know, it's a lot of work. Takes a lot just to get out to enjoy the boat. It's June 16, we've been out 3 times, one of those for a couple hours only, then got rained on.

Mark

Hustler 26 06-16-2002 10:44 PM

I'm kind of wondering also. Between the weather and work I haven't been able to go boating at all this year:( :( :(

mfb357 06-16-2002 10:53 PM

Mark, Boating is not about the weather, its about being out there. Some of the best days I have are the ones when most people are home complaining about the weather. Get out there and enjoy the water. Its like when it snows and you are the first one to make footprints. Today there were 8 footers rolling in, and we had a blast! So dont give up on it just have fun!! Good Luck, MFB:cool:

Bill272 06-16-2002 11:16 PM

"Is it worth it?" is a question only you can answer. Boating takes a lot of money, and we don't have the $300K boat either. It's very rare that anyone sells a boat for more than it's worth, so you can't really look at it as an investment. I look at it like my answer to the people who take a really nice vacation every year, or who have a cottage. We could spend our boating budget every year taking the kids to Disney World for a week (air, hotel at the park, $50 lunches, etc..) or we can head out on the water every weekend and sometimes during the week. The boat is our cabin and it's the one place that i can really relax and not worry about work, house chores and maintenance (that's what mid-week and winter is for), or anything. We take the kids to the splash park at Metro Beach, swimming in Muscamoot Bay, or to a beach on the freighter channel accessible only by boat. Fireworks on the water, restaurants, raft-ups, Cedar Point by boat, you name it. At times it doesn't seem to make sense, like during the week or when you cut a check to a mechanic, but coming home late on Sunday, it seems like a bargain. Barring circumstances I can't even think of, we will always have a boat.

Hot Boat 06-16-2002 11:22 PM

I don't know what it is but it's kind of like an obsession. Something about the water and big HP engines I always loved. I seem to be drawn to the water. If I am not on, I want to be near it. I don't know if growing up with a pond in the back yard has something to do with it or if it's that I deal with water for a living.

Also I love the sound of that boat. Just being able to use all that power and not having to worry about the cops. It would be different if that power was in a street car. And there is nothing better than hitting a big wave and catching air. is just a rush to me.

Then there is the serenity of owning a boat. just being out on the water relaxing in a place where nothing in the world can bother you . Sitting back enjoying the beautiful scenery alone or with close friends.

I just couldn't imagine not owning a boat. All the amount of work and $$ is worth it to me as long as I enjoy it. If you are getting board with the boat and it's just not worth it to you maybe it is time to move on. I figure that if someday I get board with boating I will start taking flight lessons again.

DAM I WANT MY BOAT BACK. :mad:

Thank God I have friends to take me out. :)

GameOver 06-16-2002 11:23 PM

Oh I hear ya! I've only made the effort to head out 3 times also, one of those being a weekend in southern Indiana. The memories of previous summers are helping me through, the 80 or so hours I logged last summer have lasted me thus far. Once it warms up I'm sure you'll enjoy having her around.

Hot Boat 06-16-2002 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
.....and it's not just about being on the water for me. I also enjoy just fooling around with the boat. Maintainence, upgrades, refurbs. [although the current project has gone beyond fun]
I totaly agree.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-16-2002 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Hot Boat
And there is nothing better than hitting a big wave and catching air. It is just a rush to me.
I too, will have to agree with ya there!!!;)

dyno 06-17-2002 07:01 AM

this is how I look at it.......If i bought a cottage on the water it would cost me around $5000 per foot of lake frountage. I would have to work on it year round, pay the taxes, and still have a small boat just to get my fix......I cant afford not to keep boating!

eliminator219 06-17-2002 07:09 AM

Doing your thing!

Mark,
A lot of us are in the same boat as you.All kind of reasons that different people don't get to use their boats as much as they like. I too live on Lake Michigan and have had a bad time of not being able to use my boat for one reason or another. If you got rid of it,just think, you would have a lot of time to entertain your inlaws!
Dont know about your area but in mine there is a lot of great people that have the same interests as I (boats) and even if we are not out we at least we get together and if nothing else talk about boating. I myself, have not been out as many times as you but I wouldn't even think about giving up. Just my .02 worth!!:D :D
eliminator219