126MPH Sonic. And it's for sale too.

Notices

126MPH Sonic. And it's for sale too.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by woogie
This Sonic was originally all red and was ordered new by the Pres. of Anheuser Bush. On the front bottom of the hull it said " This Bud's for You" It was kept in the Caymen Islands. Later it was based out of Parkside Marina in Holland, Mi and had big lettering down the side " SOO BAD" . It had Hawk Racing Engines and KAMMA drives. Was a hot boat in it's time in these parts. Later it was sanded down and shot in all white. The Graphics were sort of "borrowed" from the famous "Allez Vite" 41 Apache Race boat that was based out of Saugatuck, Mi. at the time.

The interior was gutted out and the engines were later Injected. Was said to run close to 100mph. This boat was the only reason why Parkside Marina sold 104 Cam2 back then. I don't think the boat has seen water for a long time and last I heard was stored in Zeeland, Mi

Are you familiar with the Sonic Larry Hollenbeck ran out of South Haven ? Thing was BAD A** like 700 inch engines
no arch etc.......... always wondered what happend to it once he started racing cars?????

Jon
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Are you familiar with the Sonic Larry Hollenbeck ran out of South Haven ? Thing was BAD A** like 700 inch engines
no arch etc.......... always wondered what happend to it once he started racing cars?????

Jon
Jon - yes I remember Larry's 41 Sonic ... can still see it like it was yesterday probably because those were such good times back then for boating - lots of color,ego's,girls, and hands on tuning. The pack Larry ran with were like the Young Guns of perf. boating and they always put on a good show in Saugatuck, South Haven, etc.. Larry spent a lot of summer weekends rafted up at Coral Gables and it wasn't for the food or drinks as he was all about talking motors and I was all ears - haha

I haven't seen Larry or the Sonic in years. First met him long ago when we raced at US131. He picked up the idea quick that there is no replacement for displacement as those Sonic motors were I think 705cu.in. with carbs and the boat was around 10k pounds so there was some good torque to get it to triple digits.

I know he is still in K-zoo doing real estate dev. and still races cars. I heard he had a hard crash at Daytona a few years ago but still keeps it going . Have a friend that has a biz around the corner from him in Portage so I will see what I can find out as you got me curious also as to what ever happend to the boat.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

new seats !!! how can someone say that ?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent her an ebay question for fun today... "Was the boat on the trailer when the 126 MPH was registered on the speedo?" I don't expect a reply, but we'll see.