Notices

Noise and Neighbors

Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise and Neighbors

WE are down in Florida on the West Coast enjoying a little boating time in the Gulf.. We have recently bought a Condo and am renting Dock space from the Association President.. WE are the proud owners of a 1984 Cigarette Mistress.WE also have neighbors that complain about the noise every time we start the boat to go out. I do my best to be polite and come off the lift and shut the engines off until the lift is raised out of the water. WE try to be considerate but are still getting complaints from the same people or person. Is it time to look into mufflers or do I as a boater also have some rights? We never go out early or come back late.. Your suggestions are appreciated with this matter..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Rap it up a couple times so they realize it could be worse. Do you have any friends with big power? Maybe they should come visit. Face it, your an a$$hole with a loud boat. Congrats.

Seriously, you are never going to please everyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Rap it up a couple times so they realize it could be worse. Do you have any friends with big power? Maybe they should come visit. Face it, your an a$$hole with a loud boat. Congrats.

Seriously, you are never going to please everyone.
HOLY $HIT

I knew you were still a power boater at heart bud. Also, very well said.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Let see ... in Florida sailors have rights, fisherman have rights, stupid fisherman have the most rights (don’t even look at a sailor that’s fishing) oh yah even manatee have rights but performance boaters ... forget it? Motorcycles and muscle cars out on 41 seem to stay under the radar? Go figure! I have similar problems but usually at restaurants. Usually I will get applauded and mocked when I shut down. Even at Harpoon Harry’s which gets a modest amount of loud motorcycles on the front side. Worst was a little old lady that in a very screechy voice laid into me saying that it sounded like I was shooting cannons at her … shoot if I was shooting cannons to bad I missed. Neighbors don’t seem to mind and a couple of commented that they can tell I try to be as courteous as I can. Seems like when we run with Ft. Myers Offshore in a pack, everything seems ok, but when you're solo you’re a sitting duck.

I am probably going to add mufflers and even tonight I have been researching on which ones to go with.

Sorry about you troubles but misery does seem to like company.

Andy
Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

We have had a very hard time with the noise police up here in recent years. I've tested many sets of mufflers and found GGB's to work the best. No power loss at all (gun silencer technology) Passed the 90db limit and still sounds nice.

Kurt
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Let see ... in Florida sailors have rights, fisherman have rights, stupid fisherman have the most rights (don’t even look at a sailor that’s fishing) oh yah even manatee have rights but performance boaters ... forget it? Motorcycles and muscle cars out on 41 seem to stay under the radar? Go figure! I have similar problems but usually at restaurants. Usually I will get applauded and mocked when I shut down. Even at Harpoon Harry’s which gets a modest amount of loud motorcycles on the front side. Worst was a little old lady that in a very screechy voice laid into me saying that it sounded like I was shooting cannons at her … shoot if I was shooting cannons to bad I missed. Neighbors don’t seem to mind and a couple of commented that they can tell I try to be as courteous as I can. Seems like when we run with Ft. Myers Offshore in a pack, everything seems ok, but when you're solo you’re a sitting duck.

I am probably going to add mufflers and even tonight I have been researching on which ones to go with.

Sorry about you troubles but misery does seem to like company.

Andy
Andy
It is amazing that everyone seems to have rights except the performance boater.. I can't believe you mentioned clapping at the resturants.. We just got that at "The Pub" on Saturday.. The weed wackers are louder then us and they get to run those babies at 7am.. Thanks for your come back.. misery does like company..
Dean
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Find out what the noise laws/ordinances are and comply with them. Other than that, they will never stop complaining, so take the advice above, and show them how much worse it could be. If that doesn't work, put thim in their place, offer to let them use your phone to call the cops, whatever it takes to make them look like schmucks. Then they will stop whining to you and start complaining to other people.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Find out what the noise laws/ordinances are and comply with them. Other than that, they will never stop complaining, so take the advice above, and show them how much worse it could be. If that doesn't work, put thim in their place, offer to let them use your phone to call the cops, whatever it takes to make them look like schmucks. Then they will stop whining to you and start complaining to other people.
+1.... kill them with kindness
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

WTF. I hate people that complain about noise when they are the ones that bought a condo on the water with docks. Just like the azz holes that buy a house in the flight path of an airport and then complain about noisey planes. Then there are the ones who buy a house next to a race track and then complain about noisey race cars. It's a bunch of I tell you. I say as long as it is within reasonable hours, not real early and not real late, MAKE ALL THE DAMN NOISE YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I checked Florida is still part of America. A FREE country.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

when we would test the race boats on Sarasota bay there was one old lady who would call the cops and complain every time. the cops told her the same thing every time. as long as we did not start prior to 9 am and shut down by 6 pm and stayed 100 feet from shore then we did not violate any laws and could run all we wanted. they would always come tell us after she called and tell us to make sure not to fire up too early and stay off the sea wall aways and go have fun. like was said, find out any noise laws in the area and follow them. so long as you do that nothing else will make them happy so go have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.