Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Water cooled T4 Turbine Housing... >

Water cooled T4 Turbine Housing...

Notices

Water cooled T4 Turbine Housing...

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will crack. Just make it a water cooled jacket or housing without exposing the turbo surface to any water. It's been done and works.
Then talk to CoolerMan about the charge intercooler.

Last edited by Dan Adams; 12-22-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn,t there a cast marine turbine housing in their marine turbo,s that you can use ?
In your first post your talking about a stainless turbine housing ,I,ve never seen one in stainless ..most are cast iron
If not ,maybe there is a marine turbo (watercooled) from KKK or other brands that come close to what you need ,or have them made a hybrid marine for you ?
The watercooled cast housings can be painted though!
Nice project for sure , your boat and engine looks great.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Check out this post on another site http://www.viperalley.com/forum/anyt...-housings.html about some awesome stainless turbine hosuings made by Tial for a special watercooled turbo project.
Some very nice stainless welds by the way!
Obviously on this project, price was of no object!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
psi
Registered

@575cat...thanks for the comment...Figured its worth a shot to try and see actual real life results and yes my hole boat project was kind of the same way...didnt know what to expect till I did it on my own...

@offshoredrillin....I feel the same way, the turbine housing will never reach those extreme temperatures due to the continues cooling of water...guess well see..

@Dan Adams...I will post back once its running on the results whether it failed or worked...

@Stirling...Unfortunately for what my turbo is there is nothing yet....and as of this month Precision turbo just released cast stainless turbine housings....but unfortunately I use a split style housing that they did not produce yet...hopefully soon...

@Raylar...The Tial turbine housing is an amazing piece...think they sell for in the neighborhood of $3500, big difference then my $220 turbine housing plus my own labor to try and encase it.....also they only had the water cooled housing for the Huge GT55's but I think slowly but surely there gonna start coming out with more options....Correction...GT42 turbos...unfortunately still bigger then what I use

Hopefully in the near future, I do have a friend that is in the process of purchasing a cnc machine and another friend that has the availability of a 3D scanner....if all works out I will have the Turbine housing built all out of Stainless on a cnc but that is no time soon...so well go for what im gonna try and ill give everyone feedback on real life results...

Thanks,
Brendan

Last edited by psi; 12-22-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Brendan, First I applaud you for going outside the norm and I wish you continued success.

I keep thinking about your water jacketed turbo that I commented on earlier and I think you will have better success than I thought. Everything I refer to is based on our diesel applications where the engine is running at 80%-90% load for extended periods where the exhaust is really hot.

I'm guessing your application is like most gas enignes where the bulk of your time is at reduced power, you won't be making enough heat for long enough periods to get cracking in the hours you want to see from an engine.

I think you'll do well with it, hey if not you try something else!

I have ask you why are you doing this? You have something in the back of your head other than "it's cool and I want to." I'm guessing you're like we were trying to build something low cost withs plenty of power and market it at some point - at least I hope you are - continued success either way
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
psi
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Brendan, First I applaud you for going outside the norm and I wish you continued success.

I keep thinking about your water jacketed turbo that I commented on earlier and I think you will have better success than I thought. Everything I refer to is based on our diesel applications where the engine is running at 80%-90% load for extended periods where the exhaust is really hot.

I'm guessing your application is like most gas enignes where the bulk of your time is at reduced power, you won't be making enough heat for long enough periods to get cracking in the hours you want to see from an engine.

I think you'll do well with it, hey if not you try something else!

I have ask you why are you doing this? You have something in the back of your head other than "it's cool and I want to." I'm guessing you're like we were trying to build something low cost withs plenty of power and market it at some point - at least I hope you are - continued success either way
Hey.....HabanaJoe...Most definitely plan on marketing it...and yes you hit the nail right on the head with the last portion of your comment... Im really crossing my fingers on the housing, the biggest error i feel i did was watercooling an already used housing, but we will see...I appreciate the comment and your opinion....all of them are welcome and I dont mind hearing what OSO members have too see....Im curious myself to see what our outcome will be...

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

what is the turbo housing like on Mercs new motor, the 1350? Is that one water cooled.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Brendan, Keep up the cool work
You will make it work!!!

Merry Christmas
Jim
Old 12-23-2011, 02:34 PM
psi
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
what is the turbo housing like on Mercs new motor, the 1350? Is that one water cooled.
Thats a good question, its a casted piece and im sure has a casted cavity surrounding the actual housing to keep it cool and coated after that....From difference sources ive heard that there are bsome hot spots on some of the 1350 engines...not sure if theres any truth to that but I wouldnt see how there wouldnt bee anyways...theres alot of watercooled exhaust going on with those engines...

@Jeff P31....Appreciate it.....if thats the case Ill hook you up for the positive comment...LOL!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Brendan - no matter what there will always be "warmer" spots no matter what you do, some areas have less jacketing because of bolt holes ot pass throughs - you'll have the same issues at some point you hope!

If you do, it's going good, if you don't have those problems things are not going as you hoped - hope for problems it means you've doing something!

I have a thought about your housing and to help with metal differences and cracking. This is old school but I'm sure today it's still done but differently - you might want to anneal the whole finished peice. When old timers repaired cylinder heads they heated the whole head in a furnace till almost red then they welded the cracked areas and afterwards you heat it up again slowly and leave it there for like a day (old school) and cool it slowly gradually lower the heat. This softens up everything mainly the welded area because the welding will make the casting crystalize which makes it brittle, heat it up allow it to soak, it will soften and cool down you will really lessen the chance to crack.

Just my 2cents

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.