Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When You're Buying A Boat... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/267584-when-youre-buying-boat.html)

audacity 12-22-2011 04:23 PM

unless we are talking about a cat?...the hull has changed with time from being stored on the running surface.

SDFever 12-22-2011 06:58 PM

man, this sure got off topic

:lolhit:

You gotta wonder how many guys go out and buy new hour meters every time they rebuild/refresh etc.. Point is, unless you're talking about 15 + year old boat, it doesn't matter. You can not compare running hours in the water to sitting on a trailer.

All fiberglass boats continue to cure until the day they are cut up and disposed of.

If you can tell that a boat was taken care of reasonably well and there is no sign of severe damage from the elements and if nothing comes up on a moisture meter, you can use that hull for decades.

I covered the concern about rigging, plumbing, pumps etc in the earlier post.

Large yachts sitting in the water is night & day compared to trailer boats.

audacity 12-22-2011 08:17 PM

missing the point...you asked a question and i was trying to help.

YES HOURS MATTER. Why, where, and how also matter.
You think a pleasure 30 foot eliminator trailered to lake havasu with 600 hours on the boat and rigging is going to be the same as one located in miami sitting on a hoist?!

SDFever 12-22-2011 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 3577349)
missing the point...you asked a question and i was trying to help.

YES HOURS MATTER. Why, where, and how also matter.
You think a pleasure 30 foot eliminator trailered to lake havasu with 600 hours on the boat and rigging is going to be the same as one located in miami sitting on a hoist?!

Actually, I'm not missing your point. Wet wood is wet wood or the like.. If you have a stringer or transom with a little water in it you'd rather have saltwater than fresh..

And in your most recent example, I can guarantee you that there are boats in Havasu right now that are in the same condition as the ones in Miami. The location has a lot less to do with it than the owner does.

My boat has been in salt its whole life and you'd have a hard time really seeing that.

I'm around this stuff all the time. We disagree. Who's right and who's wrong? I don't really care. Eddies boat lives on a hoist here in the bay.

It stays wet here every night and half the day. Yet his 31 year old boat is way nicer than half the stuff we see in Havasu.

I appreciate the help and your intent. But to try to nail all of this on a location is like a forum jockey telling you how to build an engine when he doesn't even own or operate anything of the sort.

Screws will come loose. Things will break off. But a hull is a hull. If you buy a new boat and a used boat of the same model, and excluding the running gear, there's not much diff between the one that ran across the water for 100 hours or the one that did the same thing for 300.

I can go buy a new boat and beat it up make some stress cracks in one day. I can also show you my old boat with stress cracks that is 8 years old. Which one is better? My boat looks almost brand new.

Respectfully, I'm not convinced. And for the record, I average 400 hours a year in a boat since 2007 and even more than that back home in fresh water..

I think the biggest concern is stagnet water under and around fuel cells.

audacity 12-22-2011 09:51 PM

sound like you have got the answers. not sure why you asked the question/started the thread.

i don't know all that much anyway about this boat n and engine stuff anyway...mechanical stuff has always been hard for me to understand.

SDFever 12-22-2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 3577448)
sound like you have got the answers. not sure why you asked the question/started the thread.

i don't know all that much anyway about this boat n and engine stuff anyway...mechanical stuff has always been hard for me to understand.

I musta just stepped into a big pile of sarcasm. :drink:

Hey, I'm with ya. I mean, I'm trying to remember how I'm able to leave the house on a typical day.

No one has all the answers; ever.

I asked the question because I was curious how different people look at this. Nothing I said implies that I know all..

I guess I'm not as smart as you are so I felt compelled to start the thread. I hope you don't mind.

:ernaehrung004:

SDFever 12-22-2011 10:28 PM

Happy winter everybody!

:coolcowboy:

audacity 12-22-2011 10:47 PM

no worries! cheers mate.

regardless of what we think...surveyors, appraisals, banks, and insurance companies do look at those generalities. most of the time when I'm involved; none of the above will have anything to do with it.