?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop* >

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Notices

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

t500hps is correct on the key element of your question: The SX will be fine. Volvo installed that drive with big blocks up to 415 hp, and they are a conservative company. Have at it!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes the drive will handle it.

Best advice is to sell the boat and buy one that already goes faster.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default power increase

What about swapping the 5.0 small block for a 383" small block.Should be able to get close to 400 hp with no weight penalty or too much custom rigging.Much of what you already have could be re-used.The exhaust would need an upgrade too of course.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunky1957
What about swapping the 5.0 small block for a 383" small block.Should be able to get close to 400 hp with no weight penalty or too much custom rigging.Much of what you already have could be re-used.The exhaust would need an upgrade too of course.
+ 1
a 6.2 would be a nice set-up in your boat,and not cannibalize it too much
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP tells us that he wants a 454, but what kind of power? 350hp, 400ho, 500hp? I mean, it's kinda difficult to give any real advice, other than the obvious, buy a faster boat.
Also, when he's going to sell the boat, he will take a loss, since the folks who are in the market for that kind of boat, won't like home grown power.
If it will fit, either istall a Volvo 5,7 320 hp motor or install the Volvo big block. At least then he will have original power.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered

I agree, this sounds great. Might be a bit of a challenge finding one that is resonablly priced though....? The more I think on this, the more it looks like intake/carb/cams might be the best route or..... intake/TBI injection/cams.....

I'm not really looking for crazy top end at all, I just don't want to be disappointed when I hit the throttle either.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mkiv
I agree, this sounds great. Might be a bit of a challenge finding one that is resonablly priced though....? The more I think on this, the more it looks like intake/carb/cams might be the best route or..... intake/TBI injection/cams.....

I'm not really looking for crazy top end at all, I just don't want to be disappointed when I hit the throttle either.
Most all boats sell "reasonably priced" right now IMO.....it's selling them that really sucks!

Just remember, your taking a minivan and putting a bigger/faster motor in it. Find a 10 sec minivan and see how many buyers are out there for something like that. Whatever it is worth right now will be reduced further by a modified motor. I too feel your best option is to find/build a 5.7 into a 383 and do it from scratch. Keep your 5.0 sitting in the garage so you can re-install it when you decide to sell (which will be in 2-3 years tops).
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Yah, I suppose you're right. Keeping the stock motor in there and just the 4bbl and mani are simple and won't hurt the value and will probably get me the ~30-40hp I'm looking for.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mkiv
Yah, I suppose you're right. Keeping the stock motor in there and just the 4bbl and mani are simple and won't hurt the value and will probably get me the ~30-40hp I'm looking for.
This unfortunatley will be only the begining for your quest of the horsepower you are "looking" for. Run it stock as is and enjoy it for what it is. When you are ready more speed, power, whatever it is, sell this boat and move on to another that fits your criteria. You still have never stated what it is exactly you are trying to gain. Better hole shot for skiers - change props, top end - another change, and on and on. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Quent
Platinum Member

For a little over $6000 you can get a Merc 383MPI. Strong turnkey engine. I don't know about the drive adaptability. Several guys on OSO have had very good experience with this setup. Just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.