?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop* >

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Notices

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

I've got a 3500# 2007 Monterey 214FS with a volvo 5.0 GL. AFAIK its been treated well. I'm considering power up a bit with a 454 BB. Would the SX outdrive on that handle the power? We run lakes and rivers and I'm not really abusive to the hardware. I average about 60 hours per year.

Not sure how much extra weight is added by the big block - would the boat not sit right in the water any more?

Any other issues anyone can see with the big block route?

Aside from the motor (which is EFI) being complete from top to bottom, is there anything else i'll need? Will my gauges still work?

Looking at the pics, will it fit (width wise)?

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by 98mkiv; 12-22-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Registered

Sell it and get something else.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Sell it and get something else.
aren't we constructive...

Well...are you sure it's going to fit? That would be my first question....headers etc....

You might want to take some measurements, all your gauges should work fine as the sending units aren't particular to what you have....
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're from the northeast, have your parents buy you an Outerlimits. If it's anything smaller than a 40, throw a temper tantrum and demand they buy you a larger one.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Scott: don't be mean to Dan...haha
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

first thing i would do is find someone that really knows the Volvo system front and back. But i would not cannibalize that boat, before i did that i would sale and look at something else.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

turbocharge it and laugh at the other guys as you blow by on pump gas and get good milage to boot!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Its got a 5.0 L and a volvo penta so its already better than an OL your daddy or Girlfreind bought you
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The SX is volvo's equivalent to Merc's Bravo or maybe a little better IMO so it should be fine......but

You will spend a fortune and actually lower the value of that boat. That era boat would be suited for a 496 but I'm sure it wasn't an option in a 21 footer.......certainly a 454 was not an option. So, that leads me to believe your planning on building a custom motor vs buying a stock Volvo. Getting it to "talk" to your controls could be interesting as it won't be "plug-n-play".

It might fit and comparing factory measurements of whatever you plan on building would be needed. I'd expect you'll spend $3-4K after you spend whatever $$$ building the motor. If you really want to cruise around 10 mph faster, the cheapest way is to just run the motor WOT and realize you'll be re-building it sooner than you'd like.

The absolute cheapest way to go faster is to sell this boat and buy a faster one.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
Since you're from the northeast, have your parents buy you an Outerlimits. If it's anything smaller than a 40, throw a temper tantrum and demand they buy you a larger one.
yah, I 'll take that under advisement, thanks for the help genius.

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
turbocharge it and laugh at the other guys as you blow by on pump gas and get good milage to boot!
Turbo is a real science project, not going there.

Originally Posted by t500hps
The SX is volvo's equivalent to Merc's Bravo or maybe a little better IMO so it should be fine......but

You will spend a fortune and actually lower the value of that boat. That era boat would be suited for a 496 but I'm sure it wasn't an option in a 21 footer.......certainly a 454 was not an option. So, that leads me to believe your planning on building a custom motor vs buying a stock Volvo. Getting it to "talk" to your controls could be interesting as it won't be "plug-n-play".

It might fit and comparing factory measurements of whatever you plan on building would be needed. I'd expect you'll spend $3-4K after you spend whatever $$$ building the motor. If you really want to cruise around 10 mph faster, the cheapest way is to just run the motor WOT and realize you'll be re-building it sooner than you'd like.

The absolute cheapest way to go faster is to sell this boat and buy a faster one.
Probably right. I'm not looking for a huge step in power, a 5.7 would be just right and a true drop in. Actually, the next step in line would be just keeping the 5.0 and adding a 4 barrel carb & manifold, that would probably wake it up just fine. You have to envision the monterey with a captains call exhaust and a bit more motor; would be pretty sweet.

Last edited by 98mkiv; 12-22-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.