Indmar ls 6.2 supercharged marine engine >

Indmar ls 6.2 supercharged marine engine

Notices

Indmar ls 6.2 supercharged marine engine

Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indmar ls 6.2 supercharged marine engine

Was just reading about this motor which is the one used on new Cadillacs , a detuned zr vette motor. It is now being offered for marine applications in 550hp model, does anyone have any experience with this powerplant
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

I think they are used in Mastercraft ski/wakeboard boats. I would like to know how the torque would differ in a performance boat. Additionally, what is changed to go from wakeboard to performance?

Originally Posted by Originalronza
Was just reading about this motor which is the one used on new Cadillacs , a detuned zr vette motor. It is now being offered for marine applications in 550hp model, does anyone have any experience with this powerplant
Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
I think they are used in Mastercraft ski/wakeboard boats. I would like to know how the torque would differ in a performance boat. Additionally, what is changed to go from wakeboard to performance?
I not sure they do this but I imagine it would be crammed for low end torque. Wakeboard boats top out at 45 so it's all out of the hole acceleration and pulling skiers hard.
They may just keep it all the same and put manifolds on it. That motor is pretty torque as is.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes, it is the exact same base engine that I gave you a price on 2 weeks ago when you enquired.. It doesn't share much with the LS9 corvette engine, but it's a great little motor and I think the same one used in the 557 outboards. GM Powertrain produces several base industrial and marine engines and various manufacturers put their marine gear on them and sell them. Some are the same engines sold through GM Performance parts, and some are very different.

Anyway, back to the LSA.. It's about 18k retail with a digital dash, requires 93 octane to make 550hp, has cast pistons, and on heavier boats it often ends up cruising under boost which makes it very thirsty. It is very smooth and makes lots of torque for it's size and if you can set it up to cruise outside of boost it is quite efficient. For a performance boat it needs a recal because most oem's set them up with a 5100rpm rev limit. They are commonly used in aluminum jet boats, and some ski boats. They're a great package and you can bump them up to 600hp quite easily but then you're gonna want to get some forged pistons, and while you're in there maybe upgrade the powder metal rods, or the cast/nodular cank, etc.. It gets expensive quick. I'm a huge LS fan and sell LSA's and LS3's but for 18K you can build an aluminum headed efi'd BBC that'll make the same or more power on 87 octane..

Originalronza, when's construction starting on your boat?...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have experience with the LS motors in all these wakebooard boats thru out. PCM and Indmar are offering the version of this. The new 550 hp super charged motor has just come out for both PCM & Indmar for the marine end of things. I have seen both in person and are GM LSA 6.2L Supercharged based.

Listed as 376 CID - HP 550 hp @ 5400 rpms / 545 ft -lbs torque @ 4000 rpms,

467 lbs dry / full long block weight.

Sequential fuel injection, 93 octane is recommended but not required by both.

hydraulic roller valve lifters / 2 valves per cyc.
4 lobe rotor supercharger,
stacked plate aluminum oil cooler,
forged steel crankshaft,
piston oil spray cooling,
stainless steel fuel lines
also one uses CMI for the exhaust headers which I think was PCM and I think Indmar makes their own for this app among other motors in their line up.

Last edited by BUP; 12-26-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Yes, it is the exact same base engine that I gave you a price on 2 weeks ago when you enquired.. It doesn't share much with the LS9 corvette engine, but it's a great little motor and I think the same one used in the 557 outboards. GM Powertrain produces several base industrial and marine engines and various manufacturers put their marine gear on them and sell them. Some are the same engines sold through GM Performance parts, and some are very different.

Anyway, back to the LSA.. It's about 18k retail with a digital dash, requires 93 octane to make 550hp, has cast pistons, and on heavier boats it often ends up cruising under boost which makes it very thirsty. It is very smooth and makes lots of torque for it's size and if you can set it up to cruise outside of boost it is quite efficient. For a performance boat it needs a recal because most oem's set them up with a 5100rpm rev limit. They are commonly used in aluminum jet boats, and some ski boats. They're a great package and you can bump them up to 600hp quite easily but then you're gonna want to get some forged pistons, and while you're in there maybe upgrade the powder metal rods, or the cast/nodular cank, etc.. It gets expensive quick. I'm a huge LS fan and sell LSA's and LS3's but for 18K you can build an aluminum headed efi'd BBC that'll make the same or more power on 87 octane..

Originalronza, when's construction starting on your boat?...
When everything is finalized. Hopefully this spring
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Ma...rine.sflb.ashx

Jeff
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
467 lbs dry / full long block weight.
Hesus that's light! Looks like a bad-ass engine but I have to wonder why cast pistons in a SC engine???
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Onlyhad one experience with a 6.2 it had ridiculous piston slap when it was cold. Sounded like a diesel. Apparently a common issue.. once it was warmed up with 91 octane it had some serious pull! Not sure I would want it in a heavy load marine application.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Indmar charges 13k for this motor with the harness which is not a bad deal as it would work great for a project like yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.