Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tips for driving stepped bottom boats >

Tips for driving stepped bottom boats

Notices

Tips for driving stepped bottom boats

Old 06-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's open ended question if i ever heard one. i think you'll do just fine....work on your throttling and trin'n the boat...most pleasure boats (as most things are)are limited by the owners...you got a lot of cool nice stuff in this boat!!!VERY COOL, i might ad....so that is going to play a huge part on hard you can drive this thing!! be safe a listen to pat!
Old 06-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Registered

Thanks Joe. I am pretty comfortable with my boat to take it out and get some seat time. I spent three hours with Pat on triming the boat, tabs, turns, etc. I feel pretty confident that even with all the nice stuff it will all stay in place. Well almost everything...I may have to pull off the tv and store in a safe place when I am running really hard.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

you just let me know when you think you can't be busted up....i'll come out and show ya how it's done, if you'll have me ...pat would void your warranty if he knew i was running it!
Old 06-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Registered

I am sure you would, but remember I got a lifetime warentee on that hull. And Joe, no bleeding all over my boat.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

YEAH...so do i! but..................i haven't bled on the boat this year!...o ****, yes i did at lake X...a few stiches here and there never hurt anyone!...we finished our test though!
Old 06-18-2002, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Had too much to drink. Let buddy (Baja H2X driver) drive my boat and he had to see how fast he could get it to go. First turn at high 50's he did fine. Second turn went into it at WOT (about 64) and he trimmed down approaching turn. Didn't know a boat could do a 180 and go from 64 to zero in less than a half second. Still have a scar on my hand to remind me not to do this again.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:49 PM

After driving the 22ZX with 510hp I learned the dos and don'ts of a step. Never trim in on a turn if you keep your trim up slow down right before the turn and the throttle up as you are going through this lifts the nose up out of the water and lets you slid around the turn. DO not over throttle or you will spin out. if you feel the boat over sliding back off a little on the throtte and hit again, Never trim in . The nose will stuff and you know what happens after that! I spun my boat out 3 times with no one aboard on purpose, I ran that boat at 80 and took turns almost the same speed. The only thing is a step hull can't negotiate a turn like a deep V, Respect the turn and don't over steer.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Dan,

Good subject to bring up! I have only about 700 hours in twin engine performance boats and the last 150 in a twin step Cigarette. I don’t fill qualified to instruct others.

I would suggestion would be to try to get some seat time with some experienced individuals. When I first got my Cigarette I was lucky enough to spend a day on the water with Todd Klindworth of Team Virgin. I have also been out many times with Tres and Glen Martin. I have learned a lot watching and listening to more experienced boaters. Take your time learn your boat and don’t endanger others.

I had a scary experience this weekend when a boat that was following me did not turn after I stopped, The boat came very close to my transom before he finally turned. What made this worse was that my kids were in the boat with me. When you get older you worry alot more about these type fo things.

The manager at the marina I keep my boat at summed it up pretty well. “Too many people have the money to buy powerful boats but not the experience or knowledge of how to drive them”
Old 06-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

One tip on handling a step that I can give you, never trim the drives all the way in during a turn. Doing so will cause the stern to lift and break lose turns.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Curt

Hey Brad who almost ran you down? Anybody I know?

Quick Reply: Tips for driving stepped bottom boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.