Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Camera question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26784-camera-question.html)

Laveyman 06-18-2002 03:33 AM

Jennifer,

Accept the donation!!! So long as it is used only for business directly related to your charitable organization there are no conflict of interest or inappropriate acceptance of gifts. It is a donation to your charity, not you personally. Then go out and buy a digital camera of your own to use for your personal photographs. That way no one can say you have accepted an inappropriate gift by way of your charity. Or you could accept the camera as a donation and auction it off, donating the proceeds to your charity. Just my .02

Keep up the good work!!! :cool:

RiverGirl 06-18-2002 03:34 AM

all the pictures you see that I have posted from the races and such, I have taken with the Sony DSC-F707 Cybershot Digital Camera....(thanks to steve;))
It has a crazy number of MegaPixels.. 5.0.
Once done, I just plug it into computer (usb), upload to my mac.... edit (size, etc) ....done. when I want print ....write pics to cd take them in for print developing.

Only drawback to the camera is it only has a zoom of 10x, and no lens attachments available.
But, otherwise I love that camera....
;)

Tantrum 06-18-2002 10:33 AM

Jennifer,
Thanks for the offer.
I have a lot going on rihght now and dont think Im going to be able to get into NY for the day but the offer is appreciated. Please let me/us know what you find.

What are the record times on the camcorder type? Im guessing the resolution and zoom capabilities are less than a camera?
How about editing. Can you manipulate the video like you can a picture?
Im just trying to figure out why I wouldnt by a camcorder if I can get stills off it.
Thank for the help.

Reindl Powerboats 06-18-2002 10:22 PM

Good ?'s
Any answers?

coolshot 06-18-2002 11:28 PM

mcollinstn

Is the 40mc available yet? I was going to buy my wife the 20mc for mothersday when I saw the 40mc on Canon's website. I've been waiting eversince.

Tantrum

The stills from the DV recorders are not very large files. If the pics are just for e-mail, the internet or your not going to print them any bigger than 5X7, you can get away with it but if you want to print larger you need a digital still camera with at least 4 megapixels.

mcollinstn 06-19-2002 01:17 AM

cool,

I've just been seeing the adcopy and specs on the 40mc. I don't know if they are shipping yet but you should be able to see prices and availability on www.pricegrabber.com...

I'm using an Elura 2MC and I like it pretty well, 'cept the wide angle isn't wide enough and the 640x480 stills are a bit too coarse. Otherwise has been a good unit. Would do a Canon again in a heartbeat (had a Panasonic, a JVC, and 2 Sony's previously, but the Canon has better ergos than all my previous cams).

SunseekerNY 06-20-2002 03:56 PM

I have some great news on digital cameras.

I just got off the phone with Peter Grobe, the photographer for the NPBA, amongst other things. I had a very long discussion with him about digital cameras. He told me that right now there is a glut of Nikon D1 digital cameras on the market, and the price has dropped to around $2,400 for the camera body. This is because Nikon came out with the D1X, and all the professional photographers wan't the "latest and the greatest." He said that the only difference between the two cameras is the enlargement quality - and $2,800. He said the D1X will enlarge to a crystal clear 20x30, and the D1 is not as good for huge enlargements.

Furthermore, he told me that the Fuji-finePix S1pro is just as good, takes all the existing Nikon lenses, has better color saturation, and only costs $1,600. The Fuji, however, utilizes a plastic body, whereupon the Nikon is metal and more shock resistant. He said that in "Color comparisons," the Fuji beats the Nikon hands down in every test, but this can be compensated in photoshop.

The Minolta and the Canon series missed the mark by not designing a digital SLR that accepts the existing lenses. I have both the Canon EOS and Minolta 7000i series down to macro lenses and fish eyes...... My luck.

Peter also teaches digital photography. He can take you from A-Z on which camera to buy, how to use it, how to upload and manipulate photos in PhotoShop, etc. He is a master photographer, and I respect his work very much. He is located in Westchester County, NY.

www.petergrobephoto.photoreflect.com

To view his photos of the NY Run, enter the password

peter

Good luck, and I'll report back after the techExpo. I'm meeting with Peter next Wednesday tentatively as well.

Best regards and happy boating,
Jennifer

Erie Desire 06-20-2002 05:25 PM

www.dpreview.com
Everything you wanted to know and more.
I have the Sony DSC-S75 , and I love it.
It was momentarily submerged while horseback riding the White river. and survived!!!!!!!

Nagivator 06-21-2002 11:12 PM

For those of you that are seeking more than 10X zoom....Tiffen is manufacturing add on lenses for many digital cameras. I put a 2x converter on my Sony Mavica for a total of 20X optical zoom and 40X digital. It works great and didn't cost all that much!

gdfatha 06-22-2002 10:53 PM

2X teleconverter

I have looked everywhere for a 2X tele to fit on my Olympus 2100. Tiffen makes one for about every other model except mine. Any other suggestions.
Thanks
marc:(