Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Check out this Hydraulic Steering (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/267917-check-out-hydraulic-steering.html)

Rookie 12-30-2011 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 78CIG24 (Post 3582339)
In theory this makes sense for a boat non-hydraulic steering system and even more so on a non power assisted system.

Honestly I have been surprised that these type systems have not been used more often over the years, or at least attempted... I quess this is why these stabilizer systems are not very common.

There were Drew Marine Sidewinders on my boat when I first purchased it. I removed them and sold them to someone here on OSO to help offset the costs of full hydraulic steering. I only drove my boat a couple times with them off. It was a handful. I couldn't believe the difference they made. Great product and functioned as advertised. Doing 70 in that Sunsation I'm glad he had some type of stabilizer. :eek:

Here is a pic of my Drew Marine Sidewinders. (wow, I can hardly remember my boat looking like that)

GB 12-30-2011 08:47 PM

Future owner...Please don't foreget to budget in the dually.

audacity 12-30-2011 09:56 PM

really good friend had one of these...65 feels like 100! i think i have one of those side winders from that era out in the shop...i thought i gave it to him....i'll have to go look now. i did give him some dual ram tabs because those stock ones shown there got torn off in some 3 footers! lol
that sidewinder is a massive bandaid. that steering system is prob so clapped out and the beam is so narrow i'm sure your hand has to go from 12 o'clock to 6 to keep it straight in 1 footers at 65. those rockets are popular around here; i live just down the street from sunsation. back when the stock market was rock n i think he only paid like 20k.

i'm not knock n it....it got him out there and we had a ton of fun no matter what you can afford. in his defense most boats this size r total small lake boats. his numbers r just off a bit.

audacity 12-30-2011 10:51 PM

poster...thanks so much for the post! serious! i had to go look for it and i found one! looks like new! holly $hit they're like 500 bucks! also found some new steering cables and huge boxes of new in the box gauges, throttles, helms, and all kinds of stuff i forgot about! i've had too many hard hits to the head and have forgot stuff prior to 05! this little post triggered many great details of two summers that were erased. i'm gonna have to mount that bitzh on my pile of junk new dodge dually!!!

sorry i didn't mean to hijack the post! just got a bit excited and no ones up! except for my good buddy i got into offshore with the 24 rocket that had to sell it because he moved to alaska. it's a great feeling when i get pieces of my life back that i didn't know i had....so again thanks for the post; no matter your intention of post n it!!!

thirdchildhood 12-31-2011 09:51 AM

uhhh, I think the original post was sarcasm......:party-smiley-004:

regalman4925 12-31-2011 10:45 AM

i have seen several of these in my area. one guy in a baja H2X and another guy that boats with us has a sidewinder on a 22' baja islander, i believe he is on the forum but not sure of his name. anyways he has soemthing like 680hp running upper 80 mph on gps, he seemed to be impressed with the sidewinder and said it helped. it isnt hydraulic steering but you are on a budget and if it helps out then why not? not all of us can afford to drop 4k plus on a steering system

AIR TIME 12-31-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts (Post 3581697)
Come on... I asked a serious question: Who manufactured this steering?? I thought I could get the answer on here....:lolhit:

thats a stabilizer by the co that makes shot gun mufflers, its a waste of money. a friend put one on a 24 superboat and it still chinewalks. 38 gs what a moron.:grinser010:

AIR TIME 12-31-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by trc2 (Post 3581770)
I think that it is called side winder it is like a gas charged shock It is like the gas shocks that hold a car hood up

yes

gary cook 12-31-2011 01:31 PM

fast shafts Bob post on the steering ill bet it was sarcasm but ask him about his tabs on his sunsation he is a nut and i have to race around him but it makes for some cool pictures.:lolhit:
Back to the real reason of this post back in the early 90's i had a 26 century with 406 small blocks it would run 80 on a good day and a best of 84 but it was a hand full .
Me being the broke azz that i was i took 2 f-350 steering stablizers made my home brew drew marine system and it help a lot i was surprised .
I was also thinking maybe a typo maybe its $3800:bong:

Sick Stinger 12-31-2011 09:36 PM

Wow this guy is a trip. Talked to this seller he is a broken record i must say. He "designed the intake" and had Mclaren cut it and weld it. He would run past all the race boats when they were running the lake he was so fast everyone wanted him to race it but didnt want to beat on it. Also there isnt 1 stock piece on the engine total custome. But the IAC TPS MAP is stock seems odd. Also it was making 800 HP @ 7200 but he said its way to much power for the boat and would hurt the oput drive because it idled at 1120 and couldnt get it lower yet its all comuputer and its a special flash for the 600 H.P. Its 10 / 1 with no paper work with the boat as it has been together 10 years but does have a dyno sheet 600 H.P. @4800 cruises at 65 running 3800. runs a 3 blade and will pull to 90 plus. Has an air fuel mix knobs on the side of the shifter if you want to "tune it" He also said he never saw an 02 in an exhaust for a boat its complete custome. Also he tried to sell the idea to merc but they didnt want it. Also said it would last many more hours then a merc engine as they do build them well from what he stated. He just kept says its great on fuel. Very fast at 90+ and should not be run that fast but you can.
-Mike