Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone else get flipped off in your HP boat from time to time? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26796-anyone-else-get-flipped-off-your-hp-boat-time-time.html)

blown formula 06-18-2002 03:59 PM

I do the "waving thing" also....usually everone waves back no matter what boat I am driving..
I am a Hot Boater, but also have a FISH boat & cruise in a Pontoon boat and use a wave runner. I use them with respect to others.

The major key here is there is no need to "HATE" any group of boaters. We all just need to show respect to all other groups of boaters. We are only a small portion of the nautical scene & several small lakes have already "legislated" gas motorized boats over a certain hp off of them. Let's not be the cause of disrespect and this happening to you. I do not want to get "the Bird" because of anothers carlessness. :(

Gumbydammit 06-18-2002 05:30 PM

"Fisherman"?
"Blowboaters"??
"Jet Skiers"???
"Pontoon Boaters"????

I think there are only two kinds of boaters.

*******s.
Not *******s.

Just my .02

laster 06-18-2002 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Gumbydammit
"Fisherman"?
"Blowboaters"??
"Jet Skiers"???
"Pontoon Boaters"????

I think there are only two kinds of boaters.

*******s.
Not *******s.

Just my .02

Sadly, too high a percentage of Jet Skiers fall into the second category. Still, I never flip them off, no reason to escalate the situation. Always best to stay calm and in control on the outside no matter what you are thinking on the inside.

BTW eric1969, I am not generally much of a waver myself but will almost invariably return a friendly wave no matter the source.

NASTY HABIT 06-18-2002 05:54 PM

I'm hoping to get the finger real soon.........:D :D

cigarette1 06-18-2002 05:58 PM

Hey Nasty .... I thought you just had that exam :D

NASTY HABIT 06-18-2002 07:02 PM

Dangit !!! My wife must have logged in under my name...

:D

2.5 yrs to go till the EXAM hope i don't realize I have been living a lie :rolleyes:

Pantera1 06-18-2002 07:25 PM

Had a good one this weekend

Ide just planed off and headed wide of a marker at the edge of a shallow rocky section of water 2-10 feet , rocks everywhere.. This guy with about 15 people in a 20 foot bowrider at WOT cut right thru the rocks , makes it and then cuts me off from the left ..I couldn't resist and gave him the double arm wave ..He slows down so I go over to tell him how close he came to killing his whole family..When I get near the boat he yells "whats you f'ing problem you idiot, with a real angry look on his face .. I almost dove out of the boat I wanted to kick his skinny little a$$ so bad.. I calmly tell him that not only did I have the right of way there , but you just went through a real shallow rocky area on the wrong side of the marker ..He then proceeds to flip me off, he floors the boat and his wife falls over backwards with a beer in her hand..... I just sat there shaking my head for 10 minutes..
I didn't realize they made people this stupid.. Then again Al Gore almost got elected:D :D :D

Von Bongo 06-18-2002 08:30 PM

I have been real lucky...

Last year on the river I had 3 different women in boats flash me their rack...and no one gave me the finger...

I wouldn't know about this year :(

Tinkerer 06-18-2002 11:11 PM

LMAO --I liked the part about AL GORE. Many years ago the bridge at parkers landing on hardy pond wasn't a no wake zone. There are 4 spans and the fisherman used the outside ones. One day I am coming up to the bridge at speed ( 50 mph ) and at the last moment I notice that the guy standing in the middle of the center span has a fishing pole in his hand and I see the line going down into the water. I swerve and just miss the line without hitting the pilings. Had passengers on board. If it hadd been only me I would have just ducked. I pulled back arround and nicely explained the error of his ways. He told me to F off. I then went up river and trimmed the drive to throw a roost at speed. I then came from behind him under the bridge making sure that there wern't any cars crossing the bridge. Just as I exited the bridge I nailed it and blew the guy down. Needless to say a few words were said and he wanted to invite the law and I said to go ahead. I told him that he was warned that the center spans were for boat trafic. Last year at coast guard festival the river is a zoo and at one of the narrowest parts this guy is trying to anchor his boat on the very edge of the channel. Well because of the fact that my boat idles at 6 mph I go by him about 15 ft away ( couldn't get any farther due to other boats) and he yells at me - Thanks for nocking him off anchor. I then inform him that if a 6 inch wake knocked him off anchor he didn't know what he was doing. Heated words were said by him. I then asked him how much line (rode ) he had out and he said 20 feet. I informed him that it was 15 feet deep here and that he needed at least 45 feet out. Needless to say he didn't listen to a thing I said and kept trying to get it to set with the short line.

Shooter 06-19-2002 09:03 AM

No offense, but you guys spend too much time ranting at idiots. Everybody thinks they own the water. Hell, I always though they were indicating I was NO. 1