Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to make some money and only work 6 months a year? Come on out to the offshore oil and gas industry.

You wouldnt believe me if I told you what supervisor level positions pay out here.

Tugs dont pay well at all relative to other maritime work. Figure $60-80k for a captain. Supply boats in the Gulf do better, with mates with certain companies pulling in $100k or so for 6 months of work. But the real money is on the rigs.

All of these jobs will require a maritime license, so count on either spending a lot of time doing really chit jobs until you get enough sea time to get a license or going to a maritime academy. I would recommend the US Merchant Marine Academy, but I am biased somewhat. Plus, if you wanted to be an officer in the USAF first, it is up to you as you get a commission in the military with whatever branch you choose.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
nurse anesthetists do not pay insurance fees as they are covered under the operating anesthesiologists policy. that 110-130k number is on the low side. my cousin was offered several postitions in the 145-165k range. granted the position requires training and additional school, it still demands nearly double the starting salary of regular nurses.
I just may have to go back to school.

I beleive you. Although I know a lot of people like to booster their wages higher than than they are. I remember I used to be in the Army and Id run up on some E-5 SGT saying he made 100k a year then the long line of untruthfulness gets spread
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of levels of nursing.

You have LPNs making $35k per year.
2 year RN makes around $40-45k per year.
4 year RN probably makes $50-60k per year.
A nurse with a master's probably makes $60-80k per year.
A nurse practioner, which requires additional schooling, probably makes $80-100k per year.

I'm in the health field so these numbers are just what my nursing friends tell me.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=RT930turbo;3585850]This statement couldn't be further from the truth...

.Best of luck to her! She has to love what she does, it's not an easy job

She does, she was born for the medical field, was an ER nurse for 3-4 yrs and now with a plastic surgeon for the past 5yrs in the OR, good thing we live in a vain city, they couldnt be busier.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris@uga
There are a lot of levels of nursing.

You have LPNs making $35k per year.
2 year RN makes around $40-45k per year.
4 year RN probably makes $50-60k per year.
A nurse with a master's probably makes $60-80k per year.
A nurse practioner, which requires additional schooling, probably makes $80-100k per year.

I'm in the health field so these numbers are just what my nursing friends tell me.
That is of course dependant on where you live. First year RN's in Delaware can expect to make $55-60k. That is just out of school.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion, although not always highly valued, is that if you have what sounds like a bit of mechanical- technical apptitude you should consider going off to a good college where they have an excellent program for engineering majors and get a degree in a specialized form of engineering. This country has a huge need for engineers and many US companies are importing engineers from all over the world to fill the voids. As technology and innovation continue to grow the need for highly educated and talented engineers will continue to grow and be the basis for a very lucrative profession.
Just my two cents.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Well.. I started playing with cars and boats as a hobbie when I was young. I still play with boats when I have the time, still love being on the water. I now own a collision repair buisness and still love to play with cars too. I never went to college, but I made darn sure all 3 of my kids did.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
My opinion, although not always highly valued, is that if you have what sounds like a bit of mechanical- technical apptitude you should consider going off to a good college where they have an excellent program for engineering majors and get a degree in a specialized form of engineering. This country has a huge need for engineers and many US companies are importing engineers from all over the world to fill the voids. As technology and innovation continue to grow the need for highly educated and talented engineers will continue to grow and be the basis for a very lucrative profession.
Just my two cents.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I'm a mining engineer and I started working for my company freshman year of college. Great job security and great pay.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in truck equipment sales.

We sell knuckle boom cranes, piggy back forklifts, hook lifts and roll off systems, etc.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tbooten
I'm a mining engineer and I started working for my company freshman year of college. Great job security and great pay.
Hey tbooten, I grew up in Harlan KY. My family was in the coal business until 1971!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.