Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   where do you guys work (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268131-where-do-you-guys-work.html)

GB 01-03-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3584439)
Have you thought about the military? Worked great for me.

Good suggestion.

Go Air Force...:D

pullmytrigger 01-03-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3584434)
Heres the thing with college dont go to school for something that doesnt have a future. Dont pick a degree because its easy or fun. I would say do something you like but pick something that you can sell to employers. If you want to be a teacher fine get an english degree but if you do not end up teaching good luck with an english degree. And thats where people trip up. Look into business, social science degree either those can be used in a lot of different applications.

Well said, this is key, more so today than ever ....I think if you majored in philosophy or "liberal arts" then with the accumulated debt load, college would DEFINATLY be a waste of time considering during that time you could have enrolled in something that could actually help you get a JOB.....I cant believe the number of parents who actually pay for their kids to take such ridiculous programs.....these kids take such stupid programs then cry that the college system doesnt work and their the forgotten 99%.

Sydwayz 01-03-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3584472)
I am going to have to agree with Sydwayz ;) I am currently in the Army, have been for almost 11 years now, and have had a pretty good run of it. The military (especially some of the other branches like the Air Force) seem to be gearing towards college education for all levels. What is nice about the military is the incentives it gives relating to continuing your education. Besides the GI Bill, you also get tuition assistance (currently at 100%) the entire duration of your career. I am working on a degree in Criminal Justice while I am in the Army, will finish before retirement (hopefully lol) and will still have my GI Bill that I can use or pass on. Of course, I could go back to school after retirement, collect a pension, have health care benefits and love life, or I could go back to work, in the field I want to be in (Law Enforcement) and STILL collect a pension, have health care and enjoy life. Of course, it is all up to you. I would consider all options, but not getting an education should not be one of them.

I spent 4 years in the USAF, from age 18-22. If I had not been chasing women and fast cars so much, I could have gotten out with my BS as well. Most of my time was in the Pentagon, and it set up my whole career/life.

The military is pretty much a guaranteed paycheck for 20 years, and then you get a retirement. I would be retiring this year if I would have stayed in! :eek: I'll be kicking myself on that 20 year mark, but I have NO regrets.

Jupiter Sunsation 01-03-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 3584475)
Well said, this is key, more so today than ever ....I think if you majored in philosophy or "liberal arts" then with the accumulated debt load, college would DEFINATLY be a waste of time considering during that time you could have enrolled in something that could actually help you get a JOB.....I cant believe the number of parents who actually pay for their kids to take such ridiculous programs.....these kids take such stupid programs then cry that the college system doesnt work and their the forgotten 99%.

Best post here!

Make sure the debt doesn't overpower the degree!

On the MMI route, Florida has become awash in these "for profit colleges." They have gotten very good at 100% financing and the sales dept pushes the kids to sign on the dotted line saying they will probably get scholarships/grants etc. .........then the troubles hit:
1. Student loans are not dischargable (you can't even declare bankruptcy to get rid of them)
2. Loans are 9% plus
3. Drop out rate at these places is very high, yet the school still got paid and the student is still stuck with the debt
4. Jobs promised don't equal real money jobs

MMI can't pump out 100 kids a semester and expect jobs for those 100 kids in engine repair (there isn't that kind of demand right now). MMI also has a motorcycle school with the same issue (nobody is buying Harleys at the 2004-06 pace). But the school needs the students (and their tuition) to stay afloat so they have flashy TV ads to suck them in!

snapmorgan 01-03-2012 11:13 AM

I blew a full ride acedemic scholarship on beer and girls. Have been a mechanic my whole life and have always been able to pay the bills. I have had a very nice offer on my business, and when the sale is final the first thing I am going to do is GO BACK TO SCHOOL at 45 years old.

brian41 01-03-2012 11:23 AM

Every time one of these threads come up the first posts always start out with "don't make your hobby your career".I have always made my hobbies part of my career and done well at it without losing any passion for the hobby. I think for me it is that I love what I do and look forward to opening the shop door every morning (34 years and counting). As far as not wanting to work on my own boats I do not have that problem, for me its the payoff for all the hard work I do on my customers boats.

soldier4402 01-03-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by brian41 (Post 3584497)
Every time one of these threads come up the first posts always start out with "don't make your hobby your career".I have always made my hobbies part of my career and done well at it without losing any passion for the hobby. I think for me it is that I love what I do and look forward to opening the shop door every morning (34 years and counting). As far as not wanting to work on my own boats I do not have that problem, for me its the payoff for all the hard work I do on my customers boats.

theres always the exception

soldier4402 01-03-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3584472)
I am going to have to agree with Sydwayz ;) I am currently in the Army, have been for almost 11 years now, and have had a pretty good run of it. The military (especially some of the other branches like the Air Force) seem to be gearing towards college education for all levels. What is nice about the military is the incentives it gives relating to continuing your education. Besides the GI Bill, you also get tuition assistance (currently at 100%) the entire duration of your career. I am working on a degree in Criminal Justice while I am in the Army, will finish before retirement (hopefully lol) and will still have my GI Bill that I can use or pass on. Of course, I could go back to school after retirement, collect a pension, have health care benefits and love life, or I could go back to work, in the field I want to be in (Law Enforcement) and STILL collect a pension, have health care and enjoy life. Of course, it is all up to you. I would consider all options, but not getting an education should not be one of them.

Not a bad route. I went Army and the officer route. I wouldnt reccomend the Army to anybody else though. Try AF or Navy first. You have to be careful with the Army or Marines. You can get stuck in dead end jobs. If you arent going to stay for 20 years infantry, artillery and tanks are cool but good luck getting out of the army at 23 years old no degree and trying to get a job with infantry experience. If you do get out go to college, USE it, ITS FREE.

Another hidden gem I didnt think about until I was out was the Coast Guard, you get the same everything as the military. And to dispell a myth whether your in the AF, Navy, or Army everybody gets paid the same as far as PVT in the Army get paid as the same rank in the AF and Navy. There are some special pays for subs, jump pay etc. But most part everybody has the same pay checks.

RollWithIt 01-03-2012 12:10 PM

You definately want to make you career something you enjoy doing. If you like wrenching on boats, you will be able to learn the technical know how by attending a school like MMI. But I would not stop there. It would still be a good idea to attend college for a business management type degree. That combined with the technical hands on training and experience you can gain while going for your business degree will allow you to elevate from the mechanic, to the shop owner. An education is never a bad thing.

Knot 4 Me 01-03-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3584478)
I spent 4 years in the USAF, from age 18-22. If I had not been chasing women and fast cars so much, I could have gotten out with my BS as well. Most of my time was in the Pentagon, and it set up my whole career/life.

The military is pretty much a guaranteed paycheck for 20 years, and then you get a retirement. I would be retiring this year if I would have stayed in! :eek: I'll be kicking myself on that 20 year mark, but I have NO regrets.

My senior year of college the Air Force sent a recruiting bus to my campus and brought us down to Scott AFB in St. Louis. If memory serves, we would have went in as 2nd LT's and as they continually reminded us, been able to retire after 20 years of service. Had I gone in I would be 5 years retired at this point in life!!