Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   where do you guys work (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268131-where-do-you-guys-work.html)

Ona-Mission 01-03-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt (Post 3584522)
You definately want to make you career something you enjoy doing. If you like wrenching on boats, you will be able to learn the technical know how by attending a school like MMI. But I would not stop there. It would still be a good idea to attend college for a business management type degree. That combined with the technical hands on training and experience you can gain while going for your business degree will allow you to elevate from the mechanic, to the shop owner. An education is never a bad thing.

Zactly!!!

soldier4402 01-03-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3584569)
My senior year of college the Air Force sent a recruiting bus to my campus and brought us down to Scott AFB in St. Louis. If memory serves, we would have went in as 2nd LT's and as they continually reminded us, been able to retire after 20 years of service. Had I gone in I would be 5 years retired at this point in life!!

One thing to think about is you retire at about half pay, so not quite enough to retire forever unless you worked your cards right. Take in mind in 20 years an officer is roughly a LTC or 0-5 and probably retires with about a 3300 a month payment with medical and your still paying I think 400-800 a year for that.

Enlisted probably at an E-7 or E-8 with about a 1800 a month payment

soldier4402 01-03-2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission (Post 3584579)
Zactly!!!

You wont be happy without with a nice paycheck. So you can have all the fun in the world but if live pay check to pay check you wouldnt be happy.

Dean Ferry 01-03-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by GB (Post 3584474)
Good suggestion.

Go Air Force...:D

+1 The USAF helped me launch my career and eventually our own company. :drink:

Ona-Mission 01-03-2012 01:32 PM

Go to school. That piece of paper that says you graduated doesn't get you squat! If thats why someone goes to school it is a waste of time and money. However understanding the dedication that it took on your part, and the desire to learn is what opens doors. Do what you love! there is noting worse then going to work for the next 30,40,50 years hating what you do. If you love what you do, you will NEVER work a day in your life.

I don't care if you want sell sea shell by the roadside, or take Bill Gates position. Do what you love, and be the best that you can be. Life is good!

Ona-Mission 01-03-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3584588)
You wont be happy without with a nice paycheck. So you can have all the fun in the world but if live pay check to pay check you wouldnt be happy.

Sorry to desagree with ya. Money comes as a result of what you do, not why you do it! Some people are very happy with little money.

Redhook98 01-03-2012 01:36 PM

I went in the Navy after I partied myself out of college. I stayed there for 11 years in the advanced electronics field (FC). I used my time to make connections and set myself up for a job when I got out (the right training, etc). I went right back into a Gov't position with the Navy and combined with my military service, have over 20 years Gov't service now. Guaranteed paycheck, and well into the 6 figures range. Never went to college, but the military experience and training more then made up for it. It just shows there are other avenues of higher education and ways to gain experience then college. By the way, college gives you zero, 0, nada experience. That is why kids with impressive degrees are lining up at the unemplyment office right now, or still living with their folks. The time of a guaranteed job for $60k or higher is pretty much over. Employers want experience as well. College is a good thing, but not always for everyone. I have quite a few friends who went to college who are unemployed or having to get entry-level positions all over again due to down-sizing......
Just a thought.

spk1 01-03-2012 01:41 PM

If you are going to get a college degree and want a sure fire career after all that money and study time, A degree in chemical engineering is a pretty solid choice.
http://www.che.tamu.edu/

gofastwannabe 01-03-2012 01:47 PM

GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!
In 2008 I had been in the construction industry for 31 years, made good money. I owned my own company for 10 of those years until 9/11. We lived on my wife's teaching income for about a year until I decided that 48 was not to old to go back to college. I will graduate in December 2012 with my bachelors in business with a finance and computer systems concentration.
If I can do it, anyone can do it! I hated high school and I have a 3.8 GPA and a presidents cup award.

Never too late!

soldier4402 01-03-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Redhook98 (Post 3584599)
I went in the Navy after I partied myself out of college. I stayed there for 11 years in the advanced electronics field (FC). I used my time to make connections and set myself up for a job when I got out (the right training, etc). I went right back into a Gov't position with the Navy and combined with my military service, have over 20 years Gov't service now. Guaranteed paycheck, and well into the 6 figures range. Never went to college, but the military experience and training more then made up for it. It just shows there are other avenues of higher education and ways to gain experience then college. By the way, college gives you zero, 0, nada experience. That is why kids with impressive degrees are lining up at the unemplyment office right now, or still living with their folks. The time of a guaranteed job for $60k or higher is pretty much over. Employers want experience as well. College is a good thing, but not always for everyone. I have quite a few friends who went to college who are unemployed or having to get entry-level positions all over again due to down-sizing......
Just a thought.

Your right with the college degree giving you nothing. But without it you dont get the interview. I found college was a maturing experience more than anything. It also provides networking and other things. You hit the nail on the head. Whether you go to college or not being 20-23 yeard old making 50-60k a year is tough. I went to college did the ROTC route and came into the army as an officer. I just left a year ago as Captain making $72k(not braggin that is public record so Im not embarssed to say it) a year after 4 years out of college not many 27 year olds can say that, factor in free health care and other benes that was a 100k job. Now that Im out of the Army I work for the Army, I had to take a pay cut to get out but still close to my current position. Without that degree I wouldnt have been an officer or had this job I have now. You factor in my wife makes as much as I do with a college degree and we can both retire from the Feds at age 57 with two pension, two SS checks(assuming its there) and our 401k we will make more money not working. Now you flip that around where you work as a mechanic at 40k a year and wife that doesnt work or works part time, thats a totally different life. Fact is you dont see somebody with an education making 60-70k a year married to a walmart chick or something, or mechanics married to somebody making a ton more money than them. Fact of life people tend to be friends with and marry people of the same status or class. This is all way above in the clouds thinking. But you are at that age where every decision you make will affect you till the day you die, and somethings have to be thought about

You will find with college is this. After 5 years work experience what degree hardly begins to matter unless your a doctor, engineer, or some specialty They look at what you have done, a college degree is just a check the block get you an interview. Where a college degree does matter is in the specialized feilds already noted or within that first few years you worked.