Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   where do you guys work (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268131-where-do-you-guys-work.html)

soldier4402 01-03-2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3584661)
r u sure BIG Daddy :eek: know alot of business owners and there sittin very pretty and still spendin CA$H , how many of them Dicks or Gander mt employees are buying/ordering boats ???? :lolhit: NONE !!:party-smiley-004:
carry on .....

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coolcowboy:
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :ernaehrung004::cheer::party-smiley-048::bong::cheer::party-smiley-020::bong::ernaehrung004:

missing the point there boss. Not all business owners are rich and thats all I said. Some are some arent. I am assuming many do allright for themselves. The ones I know do well but wouldnt consider themselves rich. And look at the failed small business' every year, there are lots of them. And My comment on the dicks people you obvioulsy arent undestanding. Because what I said that is an option a lot of military do. They get out when they are 40-43 work a great paying career for 10-15 years and then retire for good, except to work at gander as more of a hobby. And I think being 53 and 90% retired with no bills and a military pension coming plus my investments I would have plenty of money for a lot of boats on the market.

Also what I more of less meant is sometime guys use their business to shuffle money around. In the end its their business so its their money. But there still is a difference in business assets and their own money. A lot of guys could sell off their business and truely be WELL WELL off, but at the same token there are plenty where if all their liabilites and credits came calling would be in big trouble. Wont name names but I know successful business owners who found a way to buy things for tax right offs and such for their business that were far from the business. And if it came down to it some day there might be some issues. My father in law owns his own business and does quite well, wouldnt say rich. But he had 5-8 years of eating ramon noodle tell he got where he is now. Not knocking small business owners, just point out that they are all not rich and its not easy

soldier4402 01-03-2012 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3584661)
r u sure BIG Daddy :eek: know alot of business owners and there sittin very pretty and still spendin CA$H , how many of them Dicks or Gander mt employees are buying/ordering boats ???? :lolhit: NONE !!:party-smiley-004:
carry on .....

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coolcowboy:
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :ernaehrung004::cheer::party-smiley-048::bong::cheer::party-smiley-020::bong::ernaehrung004:

What I have found out too though is whether you make 700k a year or 70k a year it depends on how you manage it. Ive seen rich people lose everything that looked like they had everything. A lot of depends on how you save and choices you make. Some people that money get way over their heads on houses and investments and lose it all. You have to be a good manager

JETTDOGG 01-03-2012 03:47 PM

That Degree Will Pay Off - Its A Foot Up On Your Non-degree Competition.
That Said-with Your Intersts Towards The Nautical. Take A Look At Schools Like Maine Maritime Academy Or Other Similar Schools.
It Offers Anything From Liberal Arts To Graduating With Your Third Mates Ticket In Navigation 0r Engineering.
My Brother Captains Super Tankers...his Classmates Range From Engineers To Turbine Techs To Ship Management And On And On.
The Connections From Class Mates Reach World Wide

BRT 01-03-2012 03:54 PM

When I was out of high school I went to junior college because I wanted to be a police officer. I went on to a 4yr school after the two years and dropped out after I got an opportunity to be in law enforcement. Two years of that I realized I made a mistake buy dropping out and finnished my bachelors degree. Still a police officer for 11 years now and I just finnished my masters degree and run my own business.
What I have learned is to surround yourself with successfull people and if they are in a line of work that interests you, so much the better.
Listen to these mentors, learn from their mistakes and continually strive to reinvent yourself. It will keep you fresh and marketable.

The best lesson is to keep your mouth shut and listen. I have trouble with that one to this day...

bwd 01-03-2012 04:12 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but I will. I wanted to get my thoughts in before I had to step out. If you love being on the water and boats and stuff, stick with whatever makes you want to go to work everyday. That being said , don't listen to someone who tells you college is a waste. There are many different colleges and schools. I started in college but dropped out to go to commercial dive school. But I wish I had more college as well. It gives you alot more options. Maybe a Maritime school, for instance. Do you like operating boats, well sooner or later you won't be able to get a capts license without formal schooling. I could go on and on but the moral of the story is stay in school as long as you can. Get really cool summer jobs you love and use that experience to shape and further your education.
I work as a diver/pile driver and tug operator. I make good money for what I do. I love going to work everyday no matter what the weather and if I learn something new that day, all the better.But I wish I had gone further with my education, engineering maybe. There alot of cool fun things to do around the water to make money. Keep asking people. I'll bet this tread will go on for a while. Good luck B

My Addiction 01-03-2012 04:22 PM

If you dont see yourself in the military or sitting at a desk everyday and you like to turn wrenches, build and fix stuff, think about being a technician in the elevator industry. I think its on of the top rated blue collar jobs. Depending on where you live it is sometimes hard to get into and you start out as an apprentice for 4 years, unless you go non-union, which there is a lot of in FLA.

Its what I do and I love it, everyday.

pullmytrigger 01-03-2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by My Addiction (Post 3584741)
If you dont see yourself in the military or sitting at a desk everyday and you like to turn wrenches, build and fix stuff, think about being a technician in the elevator industry. I think its on of the top rated blue collar jobs. Depending on where you live it is sometimes hard to get into and you start out as an apprentice for 4 years, unless you go non-union, which there is a lot of in FLA.

Elevator tech is the only trade that makes more than me (HVAC) not by much, but their business is always up and down.................:D.

seafordguy 01-03-2012 05:48 PM

Lot of varied backgrounds/careers/education/credentials from the members of this website - the one thing you will find in common with almost everyone on this site is that they work hard.

Catastrophe 01-03-2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3584815)
Lot of varied backgrounds/careers/education/credentials from the members of this website - the one thing you will find in common with almost everyone on this site is that they work hard.

Agree with you there
Good point

raytart 01-03-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by My Addiction (Post 3584741)

That's what I do. IUEC Local One, NY. Hard to get into, you gotta know someone. And there are currently about 300 guys on the bench. Luckily for me I've always been employed.