Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS. The only true way to be happy, no matter what income level or job you have.

A smart person learns from their own mistakes, a wise person learns from others.

Debt is bad, will make you stressed and unhappy. So IF you choose debt there better be a guarantee and a REALLY good reason for it.

College is not for everyone, and not a guarantee. But, like anything else, done properly can be great.

I have been self employed since I was 20. (8 years). I love it. Worked 2-3 jobs from 15 to 20 saving to start a business. NO College for me even though my parents wanted to pay. First in my family to be self employed. No handouts or help. But owning a business is not for everyone.

Done right, you can make your passion a career. I do, but I understand why others don't.

Mechanic career is fine as long as you live below your means, or you are the best around. You need to be naturally good at "driveability". Diagnosing problems the computer, and others can not. Or you will just be a parts changer making a low income. Again, you still might be happy, as long as you live below your means.

Have a goal to live debt free as soon as possible. I have been debt free for a couple years and love it!

Good luck and enjoy everyday. Don't live life "chasing" more money thinking you will "be happy" when you get it, because you will just want more, and more, its a vicious cycle.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETTDOGG
That Degree Will Pay Off - Its A Foot Up On Your Non-degree Competition.
That Said-with Your Intersts Towards The Nautical. Take A Look At Schools Like Maine Maritime Academy Or Other Similar Schools.
It Offers Anything From Liberal Arts To Graduating With Your Third Mates Ticket In Navigation 0r Engineering.
My Brother Captains Super Tankers...his Classmates Range From Engineers To Turbine Techs To Ship Management And On And On.
The Connections From Class Mates Reach World Wide
Thanks guys for all the quick reply's I just got back from school but after reading your guys reply's I think I will join the USAF and become and officer and get a degree in business then start my own boating business in Miami but that's just a thought or am thinking of becoming a tug boat captain,does anyone know exactly how much they make. Once again thank you.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Well said, this is key, more so today than ever ....I think if you majored in philosophy or "liberal arts" then with the accumulated debt load, college would DEFINATLY be a waste of time considering during that time you could have enrolled in something that could actually help you get a JOB.....I cant believe the number of parents who actually pay for their kids to take such ridiculous programs.....these kids take such stupid programs then cry that the college system doesnt work and their the forgotten 99%.
Before things get too out of hand. There are an incredible amount of successful people, from CEO's to presidents, that have liberal arts educations. Don't put too much emphasis on the "liberal" word. Many that have liberal arts degrees, go on to obtain MBA's. PHD's, Law Degrees, you name it.

Some colleges and universities have a heavy emphasis in liberal arts and humanities, and even business majors tend to take less focused courses much later in their college lives. For average students, maybe it's better to get a trade, or just the paper at a cheaper school.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the opportunity, go to college. A degree is something you will always have and can fall back on in a pinch. I have learned this the hard way, I am back in school full time after 16 years working. It is much harder when you have the obligations of a home and family. Also as stated many times here, put some thought into what you will pursue. Try to pick something you are like or that interests you, but at the same time is marketable. Business, technology, engineering, are good. Something that if your interests change later on will give you mobility.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Military is a great deal these days. They paid for my college education before I commissioned as an officer. You have job stability. Good health care. I am an 0-3 going on 8 years of service and I am very close to making six figures.

I would think the Coast Guard would be a great choice. Same benefits of military without the overseas time and so many awesome choices of duty station (Alaska, Hawaii, Great Lakes, South Florida).
Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Lot of varied backgrounds/careers/education/credentials from the members of this website - the one thing you will find in common with almost everyone on this site is that they work hard.
work hard, play hard

you dont stop playing b/c you get old, you get old b/c you stop playing.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Before things get too out of hand. There are an incredible amount of successful people, from CEO's to presidents, that have liberal arts educations. Don't put too much emphasis on the "liberal" word. Many that have liberal arts degrees, go on to obtain MBA's. PHD's, Law Degrees, you name it.

Some colleges and universities have a heavy emphasis in liberal arts and humanities, and even business majors tend to take less focused courses much later in their college lives. For average students, maybe it's better to get a trade, or just the paper at a cheaper school.
Good point but the key is those people moved onto a second degree which in reality the second degree trumps the first. If your only getting one I would stay away from liberal arts.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Good point but the key is those people moved onto a second degree which in reality the second degree trumps the first. If your only getting one I would stay away from liberal arts.
Yes and they probably went somewhere with that L.A. degree back in the "good old days" when you could go places with a degree in anything.....I would'nt bet on it in todays world.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

I have 19 year old twin boys. Did not want to go onto school. They love boats and cool cars. Told them if they want to have toys they best get some education. Local jobs will not support a house, food and toys. Gave them a choice of what they wanted to do. For now it is school.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dee242
Thanks guys for all the quick reply's I just got back from school but after reading your guys reply's I think I will join the USAF and become and officer and get a degree in business then start my own boating business in Miami but that's just a thought or am thinking of becoming a tug boat captain,does anyone know exactly how much they make. Once again thank you.
A degree in business is very vague and does not set you up well for your first job! I know I got a BBA in 83, went back to school and picked up a BS in computer science and it was easy to find a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.