Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   where do you guys work (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/268131-where-do-you-guys-work.html)

BlueOval 01-04-2012 07:39 AM

I have 19 year old twin boys. Did not want to go onto school. They love boats and cool cars. Told them if they want to have toys they best get some education. Local jobs will not support a house, food and toys. Gave them a choice of what they wanted to do. For now it is school.

Brad 01-04-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dee242 (Post 3584859)
Thanks guys for all the quick reply's I just got back from school but after reading your guys reply's I think I will join the USAF and become and officer and get a degree in business then start my own boating business in Miami but that's just a thought or am thinking of becoming a tug boat captain,does anyone know exactly how much they make. Once again thank you.

A degree in business is very vague and does not set you up well for your first job! I know I got a BBA in 83, went back to school and picked up a BS in computer science and it was easy to find a job.

soldier4402 01-04-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 3585235)
A degree in business is very vague and does not set you up well for your first job! I know I got a BBA in 83, went back to school and picked up a BS in computer science and it was easy to find a job.

Business administration is good. Computers would be ok but that limits you too, unless thats what you want.

You know(OP) to be an officer you either have to go to an academy ie West Point, Anapolis, I beleive the AF's is The academy. Or you go to college and join their ROTC. Army and AF both have them. If you look on th web you can contact certain school to see who has them. If you want a four year scholarship from them you should start now. Take in mind to get into a service academy your grades need to be top notch, you need to be involved and you need a congressional appointment. If you do ROTC there is no appointment but they still look for good grades, atheletes, etc. I think ROTC is the better option you dont have to get up at 05-0600 every morning 90% of your weekends are off. Spring break and xmas off. Your summers are off except for one where you are gone for a month. Academy cadets usually have a lot of their summers taken up. Greatest thing of it all is when you graduate you get the same rank and same pay as somebody that came out of west point or Anapolis. Granted a West point education is like a harvard degree.

Brad 01-04-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by soldier4402 (Post 3585241)
Business administration is good. Computers would be ok but that limits you too, unless thats what you want.

Don't necessarily agree that computers limit you! Every major corporation has a large IT department and automation is a key to being competitive. With that said I would not get into the field now if I was coming out of school, US programmers have to compete with resources from India who work for $500 a month.

I have twin daughters that are Sr's in high school they are both looking into the health care field. I hope this will be a good choice for them.

soldier4402 01-04-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 3585249)
Don't necessarily agree that computers limit you! Every major corporation has a large IT department and automation is a key to being competitive. With that said I would not get into the field now if I was coming out of school, US programmers have to compete with resources from India who work for $500 a month.

I have twin daughters that are Sr's in high school they are both looking into the health care field. I hope this will be a good choice for them.

nursing is good if you dont want to be a doctor, which takes about 10 years of schooling and massive debt. Other jobs in health care that pay bank are X ray techs, not the people that take them but people that look at them. Also people that do sonograms. I would stay far far away from teaching unless your state has a massive need. Think the key while being in college is working for company that you could work your way into after graduating or is in the field you want to do, even if its for less. I know kids have to make money but working at bars or applebees does nothing for you.

Beak Boater 01-04-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by My Addiction (Post 3584901)
work hard, play hard

you dont stop playing b/c you get old, you get old b/c you stop playing.

Really???? I guess I will live forever!!:drink:

Knot 4 Me 01-04-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 3585249)

+1. When I graduated in '86 with a BS in Computer Science I interviewed with @ 8 companies and had multiple offers to choose from. Not that way anymore. My son is a freshman in college and is currently undecided on a career path. I'm trying to steer him away from IT but ultimately it is his decision.

Brad 01-04-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3585267)
+1. When I graduated in '86 with a BS in Computer Science I interviewed with @ 8 companies and had multiple offers to choose from. Not that way anymore. My son is a freshman in college and is currently undecided on a career path. I'm trying to steer him away from IT but ultimately it is his decision.

My neighbor is an Anesthesiologist and recommended this for my daughters.
Nurse Anesthetist Salary Information:

The average nurse anesthetist salary is near the $150,000 range. This is far better than any other nursing salary in the United States.

Not sue how accurate but could be a good choice for some!

1MOSES1 01-04-2012 10:36 AM

not sure why everyone is throwing out salary figures in terms of happiness. people who make 150k plus arent necessarily happy with there jobs. do what you love.

also you cant generalize occupational earnings. there are exceptions for everything. i.e. some general physicians make only 80-100k a year while others make 250k.

Brad 01-04-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2 (Post 3585285)
not sure why everyone is throwing out salary figures in terms of happiness. people who make 150k plus arent necessarily happy with there jobs. do what you love.

also you cant generalize occupational earnings. there are exceptions for everything. i.e. some general physicians make only 80-100k a year while others make 250k.

I agree with you on happiness, I hope my daughters can find something that they enjoy pays well and can raise their children and not necessarily have to work all the time.